National Repair & Remodel Estimator - Remodeling - Contractor Talk

National Repair & Remodel Estimator

Old 01-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
Joseph A. Capece

Trade: Builder - General
Rewards Points: 1,432

National Repair & Remodel Estimator

Have any of you used the National Repair & Remodel Estimator books out there? If so, do you find them fairly accurate?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Home Remodels
Rewards Points: 851

Re: National Repair & Remodel Estimator

I do alot of remodeling and do use National Estimator. It is close, just make sure that you account for your location factor. Where I am at says 12% so you need to make sure the system is set for your area. Plumbing I have found to be way off, but we are forced to use Union plumbers so thats the difference from what I have seen.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Keeyter For This Useful Post:
CENTERLINE MV (01-15-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #3

Trade: General Contracting
Rewards Points: 10

We use it all the time and actually we use most of the guides. Found them to be in the correct range for the area you look up. Exxcellent refrence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
The Dude

Trade: home improvement
Rewards Points: 1,946

I used to use the National Construction Estimator, It was relatively accurate, but I only used it for labor cost, not material.

I'm going to be getting the National Home Improvement Estimator, thought about the remodel & repair one, but I'm not sure which I'll be going with.

Anybody have any info on the difference? I notice that the Home Improvement one is larger - is the remodel and repair a subset of the HI one? What are the differences? There is also a renovation and insurance repair version, but I don't think that's for me ...
Old 01-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
Joseph A. Capece

I never heard of the National Home Improvement Estimator--let us know which one you choose. I just used the remodel estimator today, but can't say how accurate it'll be until I see how long it takes my guy to do it! The estimator software is fantastic and exports into quickbooks.
Commercial/Residential - Additions - Renovations
Old 01-31-2011, 12:40 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: General and Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

I've been using their books for years. Not perfect, but pretty good. I use them more as a guide. The home improvement book is better than the repair book. You can buy a site license for all of them for under a $100. Well worth it.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CENTERLINE MV View Post
I never heard of the National Home Improvement Estimator--let us know which one you choose. I just used the remodel estimator today, but can't say how accurate it'll be until I see how long it takes my guy to do it! The estimator software is fantastic and exports into quickbooks.
http://www.craftsman-book.com/

They have a few - remodel / repair, renovation / insurance, home improvement are the three I'm interested in. I used to use the book, way back in the day, and it was fairly accurate.

If you want your guy to make those times, he better be pretty motivated - via piecework, or the whip.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:30 AM   #8
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauler View Post
I've been using their books for years. Not perfect, but pretty good. I use them more as a guide. The home improvement book is better than the repair book. You can buy a site license for all of them for under a $100. Well worth it.
How is it better? Is the remodel / repair book a subset, or does it have anything that the home improvement one doesn't?

I'm thinking site license for all of them to see which one I like best.

Eventually, if (when?) I outgrow their software, I'll probably move up to Sage and import the craftsman database. RSMeans doesn't do it for me, it's geared toward new construction. Their remodel stuff boasts 65 interior, and 65 exterior jobs - I can keep that database in my head haha!

http://craftsman-book.com/products/i...roducts_id=863

that's probably the ticket for me. It's 108 for the Oh Eleven version.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:14 AM   #9
Pro

I don't know why they have so many for home repair, insurance, ect. The improvement book covers more work I do. The repair book list jobs by small volume and large volume. I just can't put my work into either category.

You can go to their website and download full usable 30 day trial versions. Suggest you do it and see for yourself. Tip, register with them and they will usually send you a discount code.

http://craftsman-book.com
Old 02-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Joseph A. Capece

I posted an earlier thread about this but got little help. Do one of your estimators have a line item for man-hours per unit for installing 12" x 12" porcelain floor tiles ("small volume" or "high quality" work)? The remodeling & repair estimator only lists 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" tiles and 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" tiles. Rectangular room, wide open space, very basic.

Last edited by CENTERLINE MV; 02-03-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
Pro

Yes, Home Improvement Estimator page 296
So far all I see is material price, not labor. One of the quirks of the estimator books. It listed somewhere, just got to look.
An example:

Ceramic Floor Tile
"12” x 12” glazed porcelain residential and commercial floor tile, American Marazzi"
__________________________________________________ ________________________

"[email protected]","Unit","Material","Labor","Total"

"12 x 12 glazed porcelain residential and commercial floor tile, American Marazzi. For residential, commercial and light institutional applications, including restaurant dining rooms, shopping malls, offices, lobbies, showrooms and corridors. Class 4, moderate to heavy traffic. Case of 15 tiles covers 15 square feet, including 10% waste. This product does not meet the minimum coefficient of friction to be considered a slip-resistant tile. See Ceramic Tile Installation for tile setting costs, including tile backer, thin-set mortar or adhesive and grout."
"12” x 12” glazed porcelain residential and commercial floor tile, American Marazzi"

Rapolano, Noce [email protected] SF 1.49 -- 1.49

Salento Sabbia, Beige [email protected] SF 1.58 -- 1.58

Salento Sabbia, Gray [email protected] SF 1.12 -- 1.12

Vermont, Caledonia Porcelain [email protected] SF 1.87 -- 1.87

Doesn't quite cut and paste right, but you get the idea. Download their trial version and take a look. It works just like the paid version, but only for 30 days.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #12
Joseph A. Capece

Thanks, I guess they really don't want to give out labor. You think it could be broken down from simple to complex with averages in each category. Anyways, thanks for the post. Btw, don't those material prices sound a little low?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

I've had their books for years----the tile section is out dated and completely useless---

I find it to be a good stating point for pricing jobs that I seldom do---that's about it--a starting point.

Tile,however is not usable from their books.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeswoods For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
Wood Craftsman

Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Rewards Points: 4,642
Arrow

that book for a guidline... That may give you some idea what to charge.. but when you actually do the work and see the results at the end- that may be quite different from those numbers. you can actually figure out what you need to charge if your taking the necessary steps in all your calculations... time... materials..ins...permits.. etc..etc... everything being tracked...

you can't STAMP a price on ANY project... there are WAY to many variables....

What does a company starting out with 5 employees -2 trucks - larger premium on liability and Workman's comp..shop.. overhead... maintanance....etc..etc.. charge... Vs another company.. with 1 employee, less overhead..less expenses..etc..etc.. I could go on & on... the point is THEY WON"T BE THE SAME!

Between your expenses... your experience what your company does and what value you bring to the table for prospective clients... NOTHING is written in stone what to charge...how do you value yourself... what is the price tag.. there are to many variables and the pricing will be all over the place... all different size companies.

keep track of time, what you need per month to cover your expenses and what you would like for profit... you can use that book for a guide but then you may end up upside down /even/ or ahead of the game... way to many variables...

it's hard if your just starting off because you have nothing to work off of as of yet..so your going trip once in a while.. get over it, and move on...but keeping track is the key to figuring out what to charge..

just my 2 cents...

B.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Exiled For Life
Rewards Points: 2,000

The books are completely customizable. So after some job costing you customize to your costs and time to complete tasks. The prices in the books have nothing to do with your overhead and profit. Again that is your duty to fill in the proper O&P for your estimates.

Craftsman Books has youtube tutorials on using their books and software.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CraftsmanBookCompany
The Following User Says Thank You to JustaFramer For This Useful Post:
CENTERLINE MV (02-03-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
Painting & Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by CENTERLINE MV View Post
Thanks, I guess they really don't want to give out labor. You think it could be broken down from simple to complex with averages in each category. Anyways, thanks for the post. Btw, don't those material prices sound a little low?
More like completely wrong.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Organic Mold Farmer
Rewards Points: 4,534

Quote:
"12 x 12 glazed porcelain residential and commercial floor tile, American Marazzi. For residential, commercial and light institutional applications, including restaurant dining rooms, shopping malls, offices, lobbies, showrooms and corridors. Class 4, moderate to heavy traffic. Case of 15 tiles covers 15 square feet, including 10% waste. This product does not meet the minimum coefficient of friction to be considered a slip-resistant tile. See Ceramic Tile Installation for tile setting costs, including tile backer, thin-set mortar or adhesive and grout."
I have no idea what that just said, or tried to say, meant, or implied.

It that some sort of "how to" book someone is selling or something?

It sounds like some grad school "project papers" where a bunch were put at the top of a staircase, then given a kick down the stairs. The ones that landed at the bottom got the highest grades because they weighed the most.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:02 AM   #18
Pro

I just took a quick search and posted what I found. Like I said I will use them only as a guide. Always verify and get local quotes on materials. Never had much luck with customizing my own price book. One problem I have always had with their books is that a job to say replace an exterior door. You would have to include several items to come up with a price.

Example
Replace 30 68 exterior door
1. Demo, remove door and hardware
2. Hang, cut to size, cut hinges
3. Bore holes and install knob and deadbolt.
4. Replace threshold and weather stripping, if need
5. Cleanup and haul away debris
Each of the above would list labor (time and amount) and material cost
Then you add tax, overhead and profit.

Now if I was to do it manually I would price out the materials, add labor from experience. Then add tax, overhead and profit.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 740

i would agree with the general consensus that these books should be used only as general guides. I only use the books to make sure that I have not grossly overlooked some aspect of my estimates. Other than that, I don't put much weight in costing guides.

Advertisement