Labor Only Contract - Remodeling - Contractor Talk

Labor Only Contract

Old 01-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Labor Only Contract

Hello I am a General Contractor in California. I have a remodeling project with a investor and I am working with him at a very low margin because the is customer has few more potential leads.

I want to control material prices better and not pay any mark up so I can keep my margin on the job. I have a contractor who is willing to take labor only contract at very reasonable hourly rates. I want to see if I can hire him as a contractor and not employee.

What are the legal and right way to so this. Does he need insurance or can I cover him under my insurance? Does he need to be licensed? Do I need to give him 1099 for this job?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #2
The Sheriff

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 15,330

Re: Labor Only Contract

Yeah, he needs insurance and a license.

Don't fall for the "there will be more work later" bs.

Advertisement

John
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
bob hutson (02-17-2014), CarpenterSFO (01-29-2014), charimon (02-06-2014), KermieB (01-30-2014), Live_oak (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 9,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitulkp
Hello I am a General Contractor in California. I have a remodeling project with a investor and I am working with him at a very low margin because the is customer has few more potential leads. I want to control material prices better and not pay any mark up so I can keep my margin on the job. I have a contractor who is willing to take labor only contract at very reasonable hourly rates. I want to see if I can hire him as a contractor and not employee. What are the legal and right way to so this. Does he need insurance or can I cover him under my insurance? Does he need to be licensed? Do I need to give him 1099 for this job?
In the state of a Cali, all trades that get 1099's must be duly licensed for the trade that they perform. There is no general liability requirement by the state to be a contractor. If he has employees, he has to carry WC. Most general liability insurance policies will require you to have him include you as an additionally insured. I don't think they will insure a sub unless you are paying for it. This is something a phone call to your broker will clear up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (01-29-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 11:10 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: renovation carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,990

I'm sorry, I realize that I don't know you, or your investor, but I can see the scenario now. Someone is going to get screwed.
Make sure it isn't you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to B.D.R. For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (01-29-2014), dkillianjr (01-29-2014), KermieB (01-30-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 11:10 PM   #5
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 1,594

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitulkp View Post
Hello I am a General Contractor in California. I have a remodeling project with a investor

flipper

and I am working with him at a very low margin because the is customer has few more potential leads.

Wish I had a buck for everytime I heard that line. I'm sure if you work for free this time, he'd be glad to have you work for free a few more times.

I want to control material prices better and not pay any mark up

I charge mark-up, not pay it.

so I can keep my margin on the job. I have a contractor

Only a "Contractor" if he's licensed. Otherwise, he's a "construction worker"

who is willing to take labor only contract at very reasonable hourly rates. I want to see if I can hire him as a contractor and not employee.

What are the legal and right way to so this.

Wasn't any of this covered in the test?

Does he need insurance or can I cover him under my insurance?

Sub contractors should be indemnifying you, not the other way around. Starting to look alot like an employee.

Does he need to be licensed?

Is he signing a contract for more than 500 dollars, labor and materials????

Do I need to give him 1099 for this job?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (01-29-2014), dkillianjr (01-29-2014), JumboJack (01-29-2014), rotarex (01-29-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,982

In California for you to hire a contractor or sub-contractor he must have a valid license in the appropriate trade and have WC insurance.

If a guy works by the hour he is not a contractor.

Jaws is right about the promise of cheap prices now for future work is pure BS....
CarpenterSFO (01-29-2014), rotarex (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,044

Mitul:

As the prime, you need to make sure that everyone on the job is working under a license and with insurance. Because you are a paper prime - you don't have employees and don't perform the work yourself - your subs need to be fully licensed and insured.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
Project Manager HFH..

Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitulkp View Post
Hello I am a General Contractor in California. I have a remodeling project with a investor and I am working with him at a very low margin because the is customer has few more potential leads.

I want to control material prices better and not pay any mark up so I can keep my margin on the job. I have a contractor who is willing to take labor only contract at very reasonable hourly rates. I want to see if I can hire him as a contractor and not employee.

What are the legal and right way to so this. Does he need insurance or can I cover him under my insurance? Does he need to be licensed? Do I need to give him 1099 for this job?
In California if you write a check to someone for doing work for you they are either an employee or a subcontractor, a licensed subcontractor. Subs get a 1099, employees get a W2. Employees need to be covered by WC and you need to make sure you are withholding the proper taxes and SS et.al.. With a sub you best make sure that if he has employees they are covered by WC.

Advertisement