Homeowner Painting - Remodeling - Contractor Talk

Homeowner Painting

Old 10-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpenter, Residential remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

Homeowner Painting

If the homeowner wants to paint there bathroom you just gutted and remodeled do you let them? Not to big on the idea because if they suck at painting it makes my job look like ****. How do you guys handle this when they insist on painting them shelves? Oh and it has nothing to do with money on this one because it is included in contract but they want to wait till I am done with tile and vanity top to decide on color.

There are however other times when I get to the end of a t&m job where they run out of money and bring in some cheap low quality painter and it makes me look bad. Just wondering if you guys run into this aswell?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Homeowner Painting

Was it in your original scope? If not..it is what it is...just take care to make it as easy as possible to get an ok paint job.

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 408

It happens occasionally. But since it is their home, I don't have to live with it and I dislike painting anyways...more power to them.

As far as potential referrals go, I ask them in "just" to please let people know that I did not do that portion of the remodel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: home improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 148

Kinda sucks when you do your best and the end product looks bad,but you can't worry about the quality of the client's work.
We had this a couple times, the worst was when they used dark glossy paint and had drips everywhere. One of the guys commented that it looked like the walls were crying tears because of what the customer did to them.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 94

It's their house, right? If handled wrong, could be a great way to kill a future referal.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Builder/Renovator
Rewards Points: 522

People do their own painting all the time. But it's easier to paint an already prepped and painted room than it is a first time paint job. Most homeowners don't know how to properly, caulk, fill, sand, etc and as we all know, the proper prep for a paint job makes a big difference.

I would offer to prep the job, fill all the nail holes, caulk the casings and base and put one coat of a neutral color on the wall. Then, all they have to do is pick a color and cut an roll the finish coat(s). That way, at least there is a fighting chance the finished product will look good.

Last edited by EricBrancard; 10-08-2012 at 12:53 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EricBrancard For This Useful Post:
Christoph66 (10-12-2012), Flynhigher (12-23-2012), glkirk (01-04-2013), moorewarner (12-12-2012), overanalyze (10-08-2012), SclafaniBuilder (12-18-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,006

They want to paint, let them paint. It's their house, as long as it's your check:>)

As Eric points out though, it's a good idea for you to do the prep work for them. In our case we will take it as far as a coat of primer before turning it over to them.

Good Luck
Dave
Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

Whenever a homeowner is doing the paintwork, I will always do all the prep work, even if I didn't include that in my original estimate/contract. As said above, it's all the in the prep work.

https://www.facebook.com/PunchlistCarpentry?ref=hl
Old 10-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #9

Trade: Residential Remodeling / Renovations
Rewards Points: 25

It's hard to do a beautiful professional job and have the homeowner come along and add the finishing touches (ie. painting) and ruining the look of the whole thing. I take before and after pictures of my work no matter what stage I have to leave it at due to someone else finishing it, that way I can have proof that my part of the job or contract was done properly.

Like others said it's their house, it's their choice and if your not getting paid to do the work and it's not in the contract you have to just leave it at that.

I love it when I get to do a project from start to finish but people these days are trying to save a buck by doing some of the work or buying their own materials. I just put on the contract that I'm not responsible for the materials and labour they provide, that way they can't come back to me and say I did something wrong.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #10

Trade: General contractor/ carpentry
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFGhost
Whenever a homeowner is doing the paintwork, I will always do all the prep work, even if I didn't include that in my original estimate/contract. As said above, it's all the in the prep work.
I second that! Been back to jobs years later after the client said they would use there painter. Which ends up being the homeowner. Non of the nail holes or caulking got done. Or they won't even paint the trim.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

In similar situations, I've always required that they let me finish the work completely.. even if that means applying a neutral base coat or primer as the final paint job. I do it this way so that my final payment is held up while waiting for them to finish painting.

Although I've had some exceptions where it worked out. I once remodeled a kitchen where I put wainscoting above the backsplash. The HO wanted to paint it so I let him. But I made it clear that I would be painting it myself if it wasn't done by the time I was ready to set my electrical devices.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 109

Being that I was a professional for ten years. I can't stand to see a great remodel get ruined with a sloppy paint job.

I just drywalled and spray primed, finished ceilings in a 3,000 sq house and the owner doing the reno wanted to paint it. He soon realized he was in over his head and is now paying me by the hour to cut it all in. I then started rolling with the 18 and he said just finish the house. Same way I got the drywall job. I have a feeling ill be finishing building his house.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
Kitchen Customizer

Trade: Interior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 310

Messed up painting is one of my pet peaves, but I have found that a lot of homeowners can do a decent job. I wouldn't put the fixtures in beforehand though. And if it is going to leave you with a day or two without making any $ while they do it, That makes it harder. Hopefully you have a few tiny jobs in the back pocket for times like that.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 254

I stress the importance of keeping the schedule and make sure they understand that when it needs to get done, it needs to get done. if they are waiting until after everything is done, then so be it. I always make sure that we do the priming though. Can't stand texture being brushed or scraped off your inside drywall corners because people don't know how to handle painting on new sheetrock.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
Kitchen Customizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerskevin View Post

I agree with you as let them do what their wish after all it's their home.
Your only other choice is to do it free.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #16
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

Do not paint for free.
The Following User Says Thank You to ohiohomedoctor For This Useful Post:
SamHill (01-05-2013)
Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Painter/Handyman
Rewards Points: 2,422

Wow. I'm amazed to see how many of you think the paint job makes or breaks a job. I'm sure you all pay accordingly....:
Old 12-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #18
Kitchen Customizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohomedoctor View Post
Do not paint for free.
Obviously not, but if the homeowner wants to paint and they are stuck on that, you can't tell them they can't.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #19
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

Thats right. I will sometimes go through this little spiel I have regarding the value of a professional paint job and then I leave one of my painters cards around.

Past that its up to them what they want to do with their house. Maybe grab the finished pics before the color slaughter begins..

Last edited by ohiohomedoctor; 12-12-2012 at 10:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ohiohomedoctor For This Useful Post:
ryanshull (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #20
Kitchen Customizer

I've seen it go both ways. Good and bad. Some people's color choices alone drive me to the point of not taking any pics at all.

Advertisement