Garage Conversion Thoughts - Remodeling - Contractor Talk

Garage Conversion Thoughts

Old 02-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 13,525

Garage Conversion Thoughts

I've got someone interested in converting a single car garage (double-wide townhouse) into a play room with the intent of retaining the option to convert back if/when they sell. House has forced air, with some ductwork in the ceiling above. garage depth is 25', ceilings are about 7' 6" and finished, and the ext. walls are finished but not insulated). Plan is to insulate them.

The existing garage door is not insulated. Are there doors out there that are tight enough (air tight & insulated) for living space? Or should I be thinking about building a wall in front of it, maybe with some windows in front of the garage door windows? There is only one other window on the back wall. (Side wall windows are not possible since it's a townhouse.)

Any advise on this? Doors to consider? I'm thinking aluminum with glass might be really cool. I think they would take advantage of raising the door when the weather is right, for cigar breaks, etc.

As for heat & ac, the house has forced air with ductwork in the ceiling. As an alternative to tapping into the ducts, they are considering just adding supplemental heat (elec. baseboard) for the winter. The basement floor gets plenty cold as it is during the AC season.

(Haven't thought about the floor yet.)

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited by MarkJames; 02-23-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 582

Re: Garage Conversion Thoughts

I think the first thing I would consider is what code requires for egress. I'm also guessing that an owners association regulates the type of garage door that can be used.

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Pro

Good points.

I think we have egress covered (back window, ground level + house entry door near front). I'll double-check that, though. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 1,782

All you are really required to have for normal egress is one door to the exterior min. 32" wide. Front door I am sure covers that.
Any emergency egress would probably do like a window or a door would be fine.

Andy.

Last edited by ScipioAfricanus; 02-23-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Professional Painter!
Rewards Points: 926

What are you going to do with the track and operator from the garage door?

I'm thinking you will not be able to close up the wall and make it not look like a garage from the exterior, due to covenants/hoa.

If I were to do this I would remove the door hardware, build an insulated wall and attach the garage door to it, so the facade remains the same.

When it is time to sell, a new door and opener would need to be installed, and the "false wall" removed.

www.gebcon.com
Old 02-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeb View Post
What are you going to do with the track and operator from the garage door?

I'm thinking you will not be able to close up the wall and make it not look like a garage from the exterior, due to covenants/hoa.

If I were to do this I would remove the door hardware, build an insulated wall and attach the garage door to it, so the facade remains the same.

When it is time to sell, a new door and opener would need to be installed, and the "false wall" removed.
You have identified the other option we're considering. If we do this, we might include a couple small windows to allow light from the garage door window panes.

But I think if we could replace with a new, sufficiently-insulated and air-tight garage door, that would be helpful.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Professional Painter!
Rewards Points: 926

I was thinking more that you would not want the overhead tracks and opener hanging from the ceiling of the finished room.

I would imagine a door could be made air tight pretty easily, Amarr has doors that are as high as R-19.

http://www.amarr.com/residential/col...fimbel_olympus

Advertisement

www.gebcon.com