Dust-Free Remodeling - Page 13 - Remodeling - Contractor Talk

Dust-Free Remodeling

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #241
Always Learning
 
overanalyze's Avatar
 
Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 8,002
Rewards Points: 514

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


The Fastcap magnetic doors are awesome!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
__________________
It is what it is...now fix it.
overanalyze is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 05-25-2018, 11:56 PM   #242
Pro
 
Caleb1989's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 122
Rewards Points: 260

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


You can buy canvas drop cloths with rubber bumps all over. Especially made for covering stairs and not have it slip around. Saw it at the big orange.
Caleb1989 is offline  
Old 11-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #243
Labor
 
AJobDunWell's Avatar
 
Trade: General Res, Carpentry, Painting, Tile
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 27
Rewards Points: 76

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman T View Post
I'm interested in any tricks (other than the obvious) for minimizing dust when remodeling. Does anybody have some?
It's impossible.
There are environments where dust contamination has to be avoided but for your average remodel, you will spend more time and money on equipment setting up and breaking down any dust seal. If you have a picky client you're better of vacuuming their floor at the end of the day, than trying to preempt the complaint. Most people don't think about the added equipment/set up/break down time as it relates to a project day vs the inconvenience of a little drywall dust, or a wet footprint on the entryway tile.

I had a clients wife a couple months ago leave me a note on the door while I was hauling tiles from the drive to a bathroom I was working on (had tarps down but the door being close behind me while I was moving tile inside cause a ripple and pulled up another corner and i left a little wet boot print on the floor, just wet no mud). Some people just aren't happy unless they are unhappy.
AJobDunWell is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-05-2018, 06:15 PM   #244
Pro
 
SPG's Avatar
 
Trade: Don't take trades, cash only.
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 315
Rewards Points: 700

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


Quote:
Originally Posted by AJobDunWell View Post
It's impossible.
Maybe, but you have to at least try. I take a more measured approach. I always tell the client that it's going to be messy, but that we'll do what we can to keep the mess contained. Make some effort. Put up the dust walls. Use a vac. Is it going to be perfectly clean? No, but a reasonable HO will see that we at least tried to keep it clean and they won't get that upset over a little dust or dirt here and there.
Contrast that approach to the window replacement guys I just followed... They cut the aluminum windows out with no attempt to contain the metal shavings. Knuckleheads brought a magnetic sweeper, but surprise! Aluminum doesn't come out of the manicured grass with one of those. They hacked out the drywall around the windows and dropped it on the hardwood floors with no drop cloth. Guess what kind of review the HO gave them after that.
SPG is offline  
Old 11-05-2018, 06:39 PM   #245
Labor
 
AJobDunWell's Avatar
 
Trade: General Res, Carpentry, Painting, Tile
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 27
Rewards Points: 76

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Maybe, but you have to at least try. I take a more measured approach. I always tell the client that it's going to be messy, but that we'll do what we can to keep the mess contained. Make some effort. Put up the dust walls. Use a vac. Is it going to be perfectly clean? No, but a reasonable HO will see that we at least tried to keep it clean and they won't get that upset over a little dust or dirt here and there.
Contrast that approach to the window replacement guys I just followed... They cut the aluminum windows out with no attempt to contain the metal shavings. Knuckleheads brought a magnetic sweeper, but surprise! Aluminum doesn't come out of the manicured grass with one of those. They hacked out the drywall around the windows and dropped it on the hardwood floors with no drop cloth. Guess what kind of review the HO gave them after that.
You are completely right. I cover my traffic area with tarps, I keep whatever closed as closed as I can. If I'm making dust in an accessory room I just close the door.
Only a couple times have I had a ceiling repair in a vault kitchen, or den. I've made bubbles and have a little 3" fan and some ducting to pull dust out. If your just cutting a couple holes a paper bag taped under where you're working will save you a little dust cleanup.

The aluminum windows... well they shouldn't have had to cut them out... but yes they should have thought about metal shavings. I have projects with food carts every so often and i just have to clean up my construction debris the owner has their next shift do the sanitation.

I have never had a client say that I didn't do everything in my power to keep the dust down. I am saying a LOT of people complain about things(usually the clients wife).
But I have been looking at a dust barrier systems for an upcoming project, it wouldn't be an every project thing, but if the clean environment is required it can be.... almost done.
AJobDunWell is offline  
Old 11-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #246
Pro
 
SPG's Avatar
 
Trade: Don't take trades, cash only.
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 315
Rewards Points: 700

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


Quote:
Originally Posted by AJobDunWell View Post
I have never had a client say that I didn't do everything in my power to keep the dust down. I am saying a LOT of people complain about things(usually the clients wife).
Yep. That's why it's good to head them off at the pass. Tell them it'll get dusty. It'll get dirty. We'll do our best, and then sometimes you just need to make a little extra show of it to keep them happy. ...then they'll just complain about where you parked your truck.
SPG is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 08:49 PM   #247
Drywall & Painting Pro

 
Sir Mixalot's Avatar
 
Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Melbourne Beach,Florida
Posts: 11,303
Rewards Points: 3,423

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


Here's a trick I came up with years ago for making plastic dust containment bubbles when doing ceiling repairs or texturing.

__________________
-Paul

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 36,000 Subscribers and over 7,500,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
Sir Mixalot is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sir Mixalot For This Useful Post:
hdavis (01-26-2019), Tom M (11-07-2018)
Old 01-26-2019, 02:09 PM   #248
Registered User
 
Zen life's Avatar
 
Trade: c54 & c6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: 1767 E. Colorado Blvd.
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 18

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


if cutting stone, have someone stand next to you with a vacuum to suck up the dust as you cut.
__________________
obey the nature of things and you will walk freely and undisturbed - https://www.choicegraniteinc.com
Zen life is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 02:09 PM   #249
Registered User
 
Zen life's Avatar
 
Trade: c54 & c6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: 1767 E. Colorado Blvd.
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 18

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


if you cut a lot, you can rent a local shop or yard and pay a monthly fee, and not care about any dust at the job site.
__________________
obey the nature of things and you will walk freely and undisturbed - https://www.choicegraniteinc.com
Zen life is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 02:20 PM   #250
Pro
 
Dan_Watson's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 4,279
Rewards Points: 2,570

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


Quote:
Originally Posted by AJobDunWell View Post
It's impossible.
There are environments where dust contamination has to be avoided but for your average remodel, you will spend more time and money on equipment setting up and breaking down any dust seal. If you have a picky client you're better of vacuuming their floor at the end of the day, than trying to preempt the complaint. Most people don't think about the added equipment/set up/break down time as it relates to a project day vs the inconvenience of a little drywall dust, or a wet footprint on the entryway tile.

I had a clients wife a couple months ago leave me a note on the door while I was hauling tiles from the drive to a bathroom I was working on (had tarps down but the door being close behind me while I was moving tile inside cause a ripple and pulled up another corner and i left a little wet boot print on the floor, just wet no mud). Some people just aren't happy unless they are unhappy.
Absolutely incorrect and I feel bad for your clients. There are numerous ways to protect your clients home or business. Vacuum after? Do you borrow the client's vacuum?

I can't tell if you are joking or not.... But there are clients that expect us to protect every surface, keep their space clean, and their family safe. There is a product or tool available to do it and we use them. So do our subs.

Carpet shield, jamb protectors, ram board, air filtration, negative air pressure, liquid mask, fastcap or zip doors and walls, protection tapes, tools with dust collection/specialized cutting and drilling tools, dust extractors, wet saw tents, booties, wash your drop clothes or use disposable when needed, temporary doors, temp floors, and the list goes on.
Dan_Watson is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dan_Watson For This Useful Post:
avenge (01-27-2019), Calidecks (01-30-2019), Fixed (01-26-2019), hdavis (01-26-2019), Mr_Stop (01-29-2019), overanalyze (01-26-2019), Xtrememtnbiker (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 06:27 PM   #251
Always Learning
 
overanalyze's Avatar
 
Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 8,002
Rewards Points: 514

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


You are in someone's home when remodeling...not a job site. You have to treat it differently and better!!
__________________
It is what it is...now fix it.
overanalyze is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to overanalyze For This Useful Post:
asevereid (01-27-2019), Calidecks (01-30-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 08:33 PM   #252
Pro
 
Tom M's Avatar
 
Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 9,250
Rewards Points: 11,878

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


My current reno has been impossible to keep clean. I have plastic on everything in half the rooms and poled off plastic for the living room but the owner, although has moved out come in and out ruffling the plastic and not really being tidy going back. Plus the constant traffic through the outdoors cutting wood, mixing mud and tile work......just a bear. I also have a negative air pressure exiting a damaged chimney flue so even though I have plastic blocking that room and cardboard over the fireplace it still steadily pulls my plastic into the room.

Hey Andrew did you abandon the "CleanBuild" thing? If I recall you bought one.
Tom M is online now  
Old 01-27-2019, 02:55 AM   #253
Pro
 
madmax718's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,775
Rewards Points: 3,272

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


If your plastic is being sucked in, your not setting up barriers right. It should hold up. They have magnetic self closing ones if you go in and out often, and zipper ones for the few times a day uses. They are pricey given their one time usage (you get a few more uses by using duct tape) but could solve your issue.
madmax718 is offline  
Old 01-27-2019, 07:56 AM   #254
Always Learning
 
overanalyze's Avatar
 
Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 8,002
Rewards Points: 514

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
My current reno has been impossible to keep clean. I have plastic on everything in half the rooms and poled off plastic for the living room but the owner, although has moved out come in and out ruffling the plastic and not really being tidy going back. Plus the constant traffic through the outdoors cutting wood, mixing mud and tile work......just a bear. I also have a negative air pressure exiting a damaged chimney flue so even though I have plastic blocking that room and cardboard over the fireplace it still steadily pulls my plastic into the room.

Hey Andrew did you abandon the "CleanBuild" thing? If I recall you bought one.
Nope still have it and use it. It has about 2000 hours on it. About due for a new Hepa filter. It really helps with dust and the customer loves seeing that we use it to help keep their home cleaner. I have had 2 projects now where the cleaning lady said how impressed she was by how clean things were.
__________________
It is what it is...now fix it.
overanalyze is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to overanalyze For This Useful Post:
Dan_Watson (01-27-2019), hdavis (01-27-2019), Tom M (01-27-2019), Xtrememtnbiker (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 08:00 AM   #255
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 14,787
Rewards Points: 5,206

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Watson View Post
Absolutely incorrect and I feel bad for your clients. There are numerous ways to protect your clients home or business. Vacuum after? Do you borrow the client's vacuum?

I can't tell if you are joking or not.... But there are clients that expect us to protect every surface, keep their space clean, and their family safe. There is a product or tool available to do it and we use them. So do our subs.

Carpet shield, jamb protectors, ram board, air filtration, negative air pressure, liquid mask, fastcap or zip doors and walls, protection tapes, tools with dust collection/specialized cutting and drilling tools, dust extractors, wet saw tents, booties, wash your drop clothes or use disposable when needed, temporary doors, temp floors, and the list goes on.
I would never make it in your world.
__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is online now  
Old 01-27-2019, 08:53 AM   #256
Pro
 
rrk's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: new jersey
Posts: 5,425
Rewards Points: 1,144

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
I would never make it in your world.
That is the biggest difference between new construction and remodeling
rrk is online now  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (01-30-2019), Dan_Watson (01-27-2019), hdavis (01-27-2019), overanalyze (01-27-2019), Tom M (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 12:54 PM   #257
Pro
 
Dan_Watson's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 4,279
Rewards Points: 2,570

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
I would never make it in your world.
Completely different environments. Especially some of the commercial work we do while the businesses are open.
Dan_Watson is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dan_Watson For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (01-30-2019), hdavis (01-27-2019), overanalyze (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 01:24 PM   #258
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 22,377
Rewards Points: 6,176

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


Working in an occupied area that has to be kept clean and be available for daily use like a bath is a great teacher, especially if you have to demo a ceiling with loose insulation above.

Honestly, it's faster to keep it clean and dust free than clean up every day, IMO.
hdavis is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (01-27-2019), hammer7896 (01-27-2019), overanalyze (01-27-2019), Tom M (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 02:19 PM   #259
Pro
 
tjbnwi's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cedar Tucky, Indiana
Posts: 9,316
Rewards Points: 2,130

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


I hate messy job sites. I'm now in a new construction environment where the other trades are beyond slobs. I avoid going to the site when others are there it is so bad.

The new project supper who came from the remodel end of construction is really putting his foot down on this. It is getting better.

Tom
tjbnwi is online now  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
hdavis (01-27-2019), overanalyze (01-27-2019), tgeb (01-27-2019), Xtrememtnbiker (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 04:36 PM   #260
Pro
 
Juan80's Avatar
 
Trade: General contractor
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nor cal
Posts: 217
Rewards Points: 480

Re: Dust-Free Remodeling


If every sub keeps they’re stuff clean,it’s easier for the rest to follow and a lot better work area.
Charlie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Advertisement

Juan80 is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free Tacos for America - Tuesday the 30th JamesNLA Off Topic (Non Trade) 1 10-30-2007 10:52 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?