Dumpster Contract Verbiage - Remodeling - Contractor Talk

Dumpster Contract Verbiage

Old 09-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,030

Dumpster Contract Verbiage

Looking to update my dumpster verbiage for my contracts. I came up with these options but they need to be fine tuned

1.Contractor supplying dumpster for the entire project
A.Dumpster time limit: Dumpsters have a time limit of two per dumpsters, delays in the project may affect the allowable time limit for the dumpster. Extra dumpster fees will apply if delays in the project force an early pickup of a dumpster and a new dumpster is required
B. Contractor may increase contracted allowable dumpster size to remove debris from another project

2.Contractor supplying dumpster, Homeowner utilizing his own subcontractors, I often run into this situation. Customer hires his own electrician and plumber, but Iím left to deal with their mess
A.Dumpsters allocated in this contract are to be used by the contactor DJF only, non-contracted contractors from DJF will require their own debris methods. If sub-contractors would like to use free available dumpster space please notify DJF prior to ordering of the next dumpster to allow a larger container at a fee

3.Homeowner supplying dumpster
A.Loading fee: Dumpster must be available and have free space during construction. A loading fee of $X.XX per dumpster will be charged if dumpster is not onsite and available

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Project Superintendent

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Dumpster Contract Verbiage

Why is the framer required to provide a dumpster for the site? Around here that is the GC's problem.

Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
David Festa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpad View Post
Why is the framer required to provide a dumpster for the site? Around here that is the GC's problem.
im also a GC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 582

I'm sure others have a better way, but I do not include the dumpster in my contract. That is the responsibility of the homeowner. I provide them with the number of the guy I use. Too much stuff gets thrown in when it's my dime.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
Project Superintendent

Ahh, ok. So what we do is write sub contracts that include "leave work area broom clean and remove debris from the project site"

What actually happens is subs use dumpsters provided and fees are backcharged on a pro rated basis. I have my assistant look at each load before it leaves the site and assign % to each sub on site at the time.

If you got a dumpster on site it's gonna get used unless you post an armed guard 24/7. Biggest problem is when the neighbors think they can put their old couch and refrigerator in it on sunday afternoon.
mikeswoods (09-17-2013), thom (10-19-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
David Festa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpad
Ahh, ok. So what we do is write sub contracts that include "leave work area broom clean and remove debris from the project site"

What actually happens is subs use dumpsters provided and fees are backcharged on a pro rated basis. I have my assistant look at each load before it leaves the site and assign % to each sub on site at the time.

If you got a dumpster on site it's gonna get used unless you post an armed guard 24/7. Biggest problem is when the neighbors think they can put their old couch and refrigerator in it on sunday afternoon.
I have the same generic wording in my contact, in today's world that verbiage is not enough
Old 09-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Project Superintendent

I had an interesting situation today. We are down to working off a punch list, which is 95% "touch up paint". The owner is moving in their furniture, which is generating tons of cardboard, and they also hired their own sub to install toilet accessories.

That's all fine, but my work is done, so I had my last dumpster picked up yesterday. This morning the owner's guys want to know what to do with their trash. I told them they need to talk to the guy that hired them.

Not my problem at this point
festerized (09-17-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
Remodeler Extraordinare

Rewards Points: 510

A while ago we had a job where the homeowner was acting as a General Contractor and all her "subs" were throwing all of their trash into our dump trailer. At first a box here and there was no biggie. We show up on a Monday and the trailer was loaded down with others construction debris. I learned a valuable lesson to add additional fees in my contract when others use our trailer. Dump fees aren't free. We charged the homeowner a percentage of our trailer use and dump fees. At first she was unwilling to pay it. I then explained that she can back charge her subs for their actions. She paid us after that but it could've gone the latter.

We've shown up with the neighbors entire cut up tree in our trailer after I told them they could throw a few things in it.

cant win.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 1,916

I always put ''Remove all trash and debris generated by my scope of work''.

And TELL the homeowners to TELL their plumbers,electricians and a/c guys to haul there own crap away.

And a lot of times I end up hauling it away, AND bill them accordingly.

I really can't believe some of the piles of crap trades leave for homeowners to dispose of. One instance I'll never forget was an audio-video guy left a huge pallet and all packaging from a whole house install. Plus all the bases from the wall mounted tv's. This lady was in her 70's..............Guess who hauled it away?

Advertisement