Best Way To Make A Radius - Remodeling - Contractor Talk

Best Way To Make A Radius

Old 10-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

Best Way To Make A Radius

Hey Guys,
I have a question I am doing a countertop laminate and we have extended the one end to create a place to sit, Now I have rounded out the corners, the thing is when appling the edge I have tried plywood and partical board, I have a piece that's 29 3/4" long and 1 5/8" wide 3/4" thick. I made cuts every half inch and about 3/8 deep well I used the plywood first, well some of the cuts the wood fell out, I did wet the wood so to bend after I cut my notches, well I lined it up with the partical board that I am using on the straight edges, well the 3/4" partical board is thicker then the 3/4" plywood, so I scraped that and tried the partical board made my cuts I didn't want to wet it cause I figured it would swell and come apart, but when I tried to apply it to the radius of the counter it popped.
So then I took a piece 32" x 6" x 3/4" partical board and shimed it out so it came up to the 1 5/8, I was just going to cut the radius. Is there a better way?
Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,006

Re: Best Way To Make A Radius

How about gluing up 1/4" thick strips to build out to your thickness.

Good Luck
Dave

Advertisement

roomdanis (10-19-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,268

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
How about gluing up 1/4" thick strips to build out to your thickness.

Good Luck
Dave
Took the words right out of my mouth! 1/4" Strips till you get the desired thickness.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,730

The edge will be laminate right? Just over build with PB, cut and shape...

Use a router/ guide for final shaping.

A rectangular guide tacked down to the surface, as the router walks around the square corner, it makes a nice radius...

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to TimelessQuality For This Useful Post:
DavidC (10-19-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankawitz View Post
Hey Guys,
I have a question I am doing a countertop laminate and we have extended the one end to create a place to sit, Now I have rounded out the corners, the thing is when appling the edge I have tried plywood and partical board, I have a piece that's 29 3/4" long and 1 5/8" wide 3/4" thick. I made cuts every half inch and about 3/8 deep well I used the plywood first, well some of the cuts the wood fell out, I did wet the wood so to bend after I cut my notches, well I lined it up with the partical board that I am using on the straight edges, well the 3/4" partical board is thicker then the 3/4" plywood, so I scraped that and tried the partical board made my cuts I didn't want to wet it cause I figured it would swell and come apart, but when I tried to apply it to the radius of the counter it popped.
So then I took a piece 32" x 6" x 3/4" partical board and shimed it out so it came up to the 1 5/8, I was just going to cut the radius. Is there a better way?
Thanks
First, to make sure I'm clear here, you are doing a laminate countertop, not a countertop laminate. The edge generally supposed to be layered/laminated to create the thickness which ends up being 1 1/2". I have seen people glue and edge on there vertically but as you are finding out it makes things difficult on the radius.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
Interior Remodeling

Trade: Interior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 570

Why not cut your top (3/4 pb) to radius and size then add build up to bottom (more 3/4 pb) then use flush cut router bit to get radius. Laminate edge then stick your top.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric K For This Useful Post:
WNYcarpenter (10-21-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 02:56 AM   #7
Pro

Thanks Guys,
What I did was I used plywood I cut a strip 1 5/8" x 43" and I made cuts every half inch and 3/8" deep then I put it in water to soak for 20 minutes, well when I took it out of the water it was curved just right. I clamped it to the edge of the counter top. I will post some pictures. Thanks agian for your time and comments.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.
Rewards Points: 12

I made a lot of tight radius, curved counters for our power company (Yeah, the tops too) and found that glued-up luan (sp?) door skins work well.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
I made a lot of tight radius, curved counters for our power company (Yeah, the tops too) and found that glued-up luan (sp?) door skins work well.
That sounds like a time saver.

Good Luck
Dave
Old 10-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
wannabe

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,000

Glad to hear it worked out for you!

I did the exact same thing in my kitchen....I used the Lewin Router compass to shape the particle board. Like Eric described I added pieces to the bottom to get to 1 1/4 and used a flush cut bit. I even went a step farther and used 3/8x 1 1/4 strips of oak that I glued and tacked to the edge. Applied the laminate to the edge and top the ran a router with a 1/2" chamfer bit around so I have a profile that shows oak.

Nothing knew, but it was pretty easy and it turned out great!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31V-XPMXVNL.jpg

Last edited by WNYcarpenter; 10-21-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 532

Cut your radius in a piece of particle board, attach and use a router with a template bit to match your radius. Not sure what type of edge your making but we always put 3" strips o build up around the edges then laminate, no vertical edge is needed just a 3" strip of particle board under the edges of top Laid horiontal
Old 12-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #12
Pro

I meant to post some pictures so here they are. Hey Nath I was wondering whatever happened to all the pictures I have posted over the years went to?
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to make a radius-36218-samoa-kitchen-cabinets-142.jpg   Best way to make a radius-36218-samoa-kitchen-cabinets-143.jpg   Best way to make a radius-36218-samoa-kitchen-cabinets-141.jpg  
Old 12-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
YUUUUP!

Trade: Metal Roofing Mogul
Rewards Points: 916

Very carefully.

Advertisement