Basement Floor - Sleepers? - Remodeling - Contractor Talk

Basement Floor - Sleepers?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Stanford Construction

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 12

Basement Floor - Sleepers?

I've got a concrete basement floor in a 70-year-old home that isn't quite level and not very flat... it has a some visible cracks and a bit of a hump in the middle. This is in Colorado, so cold temperatures and expansive soils.

I have options.... one would be to rip out the entire 4" thick slab and have it re-poured. The other, which I think I'm going to use, is to lay down sleepers and build a subfloor on top. Here is the proposed design:

- Pressure-treated 2x4 sleepers, 16" OC and around the perimeter of the basement. Shimmed to level. Glued and ramset into concrete.
- 1" rigid foam glued to concrete between sleepers - both for insulation, as well as keeping cold air from hitting the concrete, avoiding mold.
- 3/4" subfloor screwed/glued to sleepers.

Anyone have any tips or changes before I jump in??

Thanks!
Drew

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Wood Craftsman

Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Rewards Points: 4,642
Question

Re: Basement Floor - Sleepers?

what are you putting down as a floor,,? is the basement floor dry?

B,

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
Stanford Construction

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 12

The basement floor seems dry. (We've only lived here since Christmas, but it has been a regular winter so far - cold with snow)

I haven't chosen a flooring type yet, but I'm hoping that whatever subfloor I create, it can handle anything from carpet to laminate to cork, etc. I don't want the type of subfloor to be a limiting factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Colorado master electrician, EC, B-1 GC
Rewards Points: 2,000

If you are on expansive soil, which you probably are, it would probably be best not to play engineer and call a real one. First off expansive soils only react to moisture and lack of moisture. So you have to figure out if you have any water getting to the subsurface and where it might be comming from and how often and what conditions are causing it. I would say that itf the subsurface had been dry for 70 years you probably wouldn't have had any heaving. And if there is heaving, there is also very good chance that any underground cast iron plumbing is broken and leaking making a bad situation worse.

Then there is design and I've seen a number of ways over the years that engineers might design a solution.

Good luck.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Wood Craftsman

Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Rewards Points: 4,642
Arrow

honestly,,,
you may be going over a poor or deteriorating slab....you may want to consider tarring it out and going with a new slab..throwing good money at a bad slab (band aid) and you may have problems later and have to rip it out and do it all over again....

just my 2 cents...

B,
Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Colorado master electrician, EC, B-1 GC
Rewards Points: 2,000

The Colorado front range has very unique, (crappy), soil conditions. It would probably be best to stick with local advice on this one.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,776

What customer is willing to pay for the job, that is the question? There is few ways of doing it, depends on the budget.

Doing sleepers it has been outdated practice with all the new material that is out there.

If you plan going over the concrete, install rigid insulation on the concrete floor, so there is continuous protection without any voids, then install sub-floor right on it glued and screwed with Tap-cons right into concrete.

Another way of doing is to install a floor system that is easy to install by using floating sub-floor system, its already insulated and moisture protected, it's T&G so its a quick install.

If budget allows, new concrete is the best way to go. Stone and Drainage can be updated and installed the correct way with perforated pipe, new 3/4 clean stone and tied into the pit, moisture and insulation installed under the slab, and you will always have a nice dry basement.
Mellissam (11-17-2012), PrestigeR&D (02-28-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
Level 27 Contractor

Trade: Renovation
Rewards Points: 500

http://www.cosella-dorken.com/bvf-ca...roducts/fl.php

Check out my gallery here http://on.fb.me/I2XylV
Check out my blog here http://sebastianbethke1337.wordpress.com/
Old 03-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,776

Nice stuff Bastien, been using this on the foundation. Basements are nice and dry, after all the snow, rain a few floods we had the past few years .

Advertisement