Average Remodeling Costs - Remodeling - Contractor Talk

Average Remodeling Costs

Old 12-21-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Home Remodels
Rewards Points: 851

Average Remodeling Costs

The question I always loathe to hear, "How much does a ....... cost on average?"

Sometimes this is a very easy question, but only when the customer knows what they want, the quality level of the materials, and have a realistic expectation of what things of their taste cost.

The ones I have yet to come up with a great answer to are usually paired with something along the lines of the following;

-Remodeling your home for cheap . com says a bathroom remodel costs $7,000
-I googled tile installations and it told me $2.50 a square foot for materials and labor.
-Retard (insert favorite DIY guru) said ................

I would love to know where some of these average numbers from a project come from.

examples from the web
-The average cost of a bathroom remodeling project is $9,712, according to ServiceMagic
-As an approximation I would say $5-$10K will get you a 'nice' replacement bathroom

Today was the best, this customer thought he was at the bathroom remodel buffet and got to chose what he wanted for a set price of 9K. He said he wanted undermounted whirlpool oversized tub, plus walk in steam shower, granite deck, in floor heating, custom cabinets, crown, solid door, bronze fixtures, shower lighting, tile wainscoting in the whole bath (in granite), and if there was room wiring for the central stereo. I was kinda speechless after he spouted it all off until he landed the left hook. Who do I make the check out to?

I thought I would be clever and offer him a bargain. I said to save you money how about you buy all the materials and fixtures and I will charge you a flat rate of 50% your material cost. If you can make all that under 9K I'll even shovel your driveway everday. He was excited ... and clueless.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 01:18 AM   #2
Chuck

Trade: Excavating, Clearing, Underground Utilities
Rewards Points: 506

Re: Average Remodeling Costs

Maybe you could have some pictures of what an average bathroom remodel looks like in your part of the country and then say "Well, is this what you were thinking of?". Chances are they want a fancy custom bathroom remodel not an "average" one.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to S.R.E. For This Useful Post:
Rio (03-13-2011)
Old 12-21-2010, 01:52 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor - ret.
Rewards Points: 500

Last edited by A. Spruce; 12-21-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post

Cheapest I did a bath reno for was $4500...currently I am doing one for $20k plus tile and fixtures.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
bathroom guru

Trade: Bathroom Design Build Contractor
Rewards Points: 560

It's hard to put a number on this, but, after doing the numbers on the last 2 years, my average bathroom was $15,460.00
Lowest one $7000.00. Highest $48,000.00
Old 03-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 36,064

Do a search for the Cost vs. Value Report from Remodeling Magazine...

Click on the year and then region to get average costs... I have a file that I keep on hand of third party articles, and their magazine, etc. when talking to clients that I pull out... makes it easier to establish pricing credibility if needed... It's also good to pull out the laptop and have something to show them and how it relates to their region... Best of luck... 8^)
Old 03-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

Here's a 5500.00 bathroom.No new flooring.New shower,sink,light and paint.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
New Quirky Carpenter

Trade: Trim Carpentry and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 538

The co I work for charged $9000 for just a shower!  oh, they built a wall and moved the water pipes to the adjacent wall. 
Old 03-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #9

Trade: Home Improvements/Handyman
Rewards Points: 75

I did a bathroom once for $2500. It was my first bathroom and the HO purchased all the material. I don't think I'll ever do that again. Every day for 3 weeks straight man was I beat.
Attached Thumbnails
Average Remodeling Costs-450.jpg   Average Remodeling Costs-452.jpg   Average Remodeling Costs-455.jpg  
Old 03-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Home Remodels
Rewards Points: 851

Great posts all, we can all agree there are no average costs. I went back and looked at the last three years of just bathrooms. Each of the estimates inflated an average of 18% just from Customer Upgrades during the project. And lets not mention the structural issues that always get uncovered.

But just for humor I averaged my last 6 bathrooms to be 29K. Some have marble, some have ceramic. Some have all the bells and whistles some have nothing special.

And just for comparison with TBFGhost mine cheapest was 6400 and highest was 67000.

Advertisement