Air Scrubbers - Remodeling - Contractor Talk

Air Scrubbers

Old 09-07-2018, 06:35 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: New Construction & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,500

Air Scrubbers

Looking into getting an air scrubber or two. I know several of you have the BuildClean, and others the Ermator A600, DriEaz and box with a filter on it.

From what I've found, there's advantages to each...the BuildClean seems to have the 'biggest following' and I like that it draws air from 360 degrees around the unit. I like that it has an hour meter and an auto mode (though from reading it doesn't look like many use it?)

The DriEaz DefendAir and Phoenix GuardianR offer a carbon filter that seems like a nice addition in a remodeling setup come finish time, but no hour meter and what seems like a rather crude dimmer switch to control the speed. Also, no hour meter, so I guess you just follow the indicator light that comes on when it's time to do something with filters.

The Ermator A600 is the least expensive, but kinda looks like an old suitcase with a fan in it...I'm sure in person it's different, but it doesn't look like it's as tough as a rotomold device.

I'll use it in general remodeling areas, kitchen/bathroom remodeling, small offices, etc. I'm all ears on anyone who's used any of these or multiples to hear how useability differs.

Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,166

Re: Air Scrubbers

I have the Build Clean and Ermator. My preference is the Build Clean. It takes up more space but does a much better job.

If Windycity doesn’t respond send him a PM , ask him how well it works.

Tom

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
mstrat (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling & repair
Rewards Points: 1,100

I decided against the build clean because of it's 360 degree intake and it's almost twice the price. I wanted to be able to set the unit in a doorway or an opening in a plastic curtain wall so I went with the Blue Dri.

I like that it has a standard 8" exhaust and 12" intake. It also uses regular 16x16x1" pre filters. Hour meter and the ability to stack and daisy chain is a plus too.

Air Scrubbers-imageuploadedbytapatalk1536339848.272494.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to BBuild For This Useful Post:
mstrat (09-07-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 7,970

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
I have the Build Clean and Ermator. My preference is the Build Clean. It takes up more space but does a much better job.

If Windycity doesnít respond send him a PM , ask him how well it works.

Tom

It works quite well, Iím surprised that thing still works after what I did to it.....haha

I was basically dry cutting brick mortar joints in a finished house and within a second the air was clear, even considering fine silica dust clogs up everything almost instantly

It is incredible how fast it cleans up the airborne dust in the air
Old 09-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
It works quite well, Iím surprised that thing still works after what I did to it.....haha

I was basically dry cutting brick mortar joints in a finished house and within a second the air was clear, even considering fine silica dust clogs up everything almost instantly

Itís still going strong. I did replace the pre-filter, HEPA filter is still the original.

Ton
Old 09-07-2018, 06:14 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBuild View Post
I decided against the build clean because of it's 360 degree intake and it's almost twice the price. I wanted to be able to set the unit in a doorway or an opening in a plastic curtain wall so I went with the Blue Dri.

I like that it has a standard 8" exhaust and 12" intake. It also uses regular 16x16x1" pre filters. Hour meter and the ability to stack and daisy chain is a plus too.

Attachment 467371
I admit I like the pricepoint of the BlueDri...though it doesn't appear that the newer ones have an hour meter...not sure how necessary it is, I just like the thought of it
Old 09-07-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post

Now that sounds intriguing to me! I don't often dry cut mortar joints indoors, but that would indeed be a mess! More drywall and misc demo dust is what I'm concerned with, and I'll fully admit the 360 intake and 'auto' mode feels like a good idea if nothing else...
Old 09-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #8
Pro

If you’re remodeling a large area one will not be enough. I have 4 air scrubbers.

Tom
Old 09-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #9
Pro

Scratch that, it does look like the BlueDri AS-550 has an hour meter...that combined with slightly less expensive filters makes it a definite possibility on my list. I still want the Build Clean for the auto mode and I kinda just like 360 suction...but I don't like that there's no option for a carbon filter...
Old 09-09-2018, 08:34 PM   #10
Pro

Rewards Points: 422

I picked up the A600 (Husqvarna version) a month or so ago. It was purchased through Zoro.com with a nice discount. The unit is pretty heavy duty and built like pro-audio road gear. I like the cube design as it seems like it will be much easier to transport and store.

So far, the unit has performed great. I used it on an interior bathroom remodel (no windows) and it kept dust to a minimum.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_Stop For This Useful Post:
mstrat (09-09-2018)
Old 02-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #11
www.RainierRemodeling.com

Trade: Kitchen & Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 6

I use the jet air filter and use it on its side and put a handle on it. filters are cheap and are a 12x24. It has 3 timer settings and 3 speeds and can really move the air. Helps keep dust down during the remodeling process.

https://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/afs...ontrol/708620B

Last edited by Rainier Remodel; 02-17-2019 at 07:02 PM. Reason: forgot to add link to product
Old 02-18-2019, 08:17 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 160

For anyone interested in one, BuildClean has 10% off this week with promo code IBS19
I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country. ~ William McKinley
The Following User Says Thank You to J.C. For This Useful Post:
Golden view (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 11:32 PM   #13
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 6,188

Just bought one. Thanks J.C.

I wanted to mention a simple technique I often do in remodels. Negative pressure doesn't work if you need a door open to haul stuff in and out. So instead I set up the rest of the house in positive pressure. Usually just a box fan in an open window, sealed roughly around it, is all I need to keep the dust wall always blown up from the clean side.

Advertisement