What Construction-related Software Do You Want? - Technology - Contractor Talk

What Construction-related Software Do You Want?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 6,316

What Construction-related Software Do You Want?

I have a friend who is a talented programmer. He's been a good hand on some of my projects as well. He wants to make software for the construction industry because he thinks there's room for something.

As he put it, "I think that maybe construction hasn't been optimized by the world's programmers yet, because programmers don't generally like to go outside and build houses."

Any ideas?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 500

Re: What Construction-related Software Do You Want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view
I have a friend who is a talented programmer. He's been a good hand on some of my projects as well. He wants to make software for the construction industry because he thinks there's room for something. As he put it, "I think that maybe construction hasn't been optimized by the world's programmers yet, because programmers don't generally like to go outside and build houses." Any ideas?
something that helps the one and two man shows .pricing estimating,design programs etc but affordable.

a dedicated spread sheet system for us to input all our pricing for renovators ,carpenter etc

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
edward trowelhands

I was kind of thinking along the same lines.
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 657

Quickbooks already does that

I think the biggest help would be a good scheduling program with dependencies, like ms project but simpler and syncs with gcal

I make a schedule and it is destroyed within hours, if i could drag and drop jobs to different days and everything else moved with it that would be awesome

Also a simple to use design program like sketchup but with premade elements that could be dragged and dropped, like stairs, doors windows etc

Old 04-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
edward trowelhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter uk View Post

Also a simple to use design program like sketchup but with premade elements that could be dragged and dropped, like stairs, doors windows etc
Home Designer does that well.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Home Designer does that well.
thanks i will take a look

i often get jobs like shop fronts or built ins that i need to draw up to give the customer an idea of what i have in mind, I tend to do it in sketchup but it is time consuming but i cant really think of how it could be speeded up

Old 04-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,581

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter uk
Quickbooks already does that I think the biggest help would be a good scheduling program with dependencies, like ms project but simpler and syncs with gcal I make a schedule and it is destroyed within hours, if i could drag and drop jobs to different days and everything else moved with it that would be awesome Also a simple to use design program like sketchup but with premade elements that could be dragged and dropped, like stairs, doors windows etc
Try out look with google calender and they have a sync app.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:10 AM   #8

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 84

Quote:

I think the biggest help would be a good scheduling program with dependencies, like ms project but simpler and syncs with gcal

I make a schedule and it is destroyed within hours, if i could drag and drop jobs to different days and everything else moved with it that would be awesome

PLANNING: I have just started testing hubplanner.com (no affiliation) - bit expensive, but seems to work on a basic level for managing my crew of 10 guys.

DRAWING: I use sketchup (don't get paid for it ) so, I think that I will try to use Lucidchart.com a bit more (no affil.). It has a floorplanner, but is a bit poor on displaying measurements. Good for draughting a bathroom, kitchen or a couple of rooms, but would probably struggle on an entire house.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Utility, sitework, and erosion control contractor
Rewards Points: 178

For Scheduling or project planning I started using Omni Planner. It seems to be very flexible and easy to use.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #10

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUI View Post
For Scheduling or project planning I started using Omni Planner. It seems to be very flexible and easy to use.
That looks like a nice solution.

I am a big Apple fan, but I really expect things to be in the cloud now. Have to pass on it for the moment I think.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,278

First thing I would do is implement offline networking. None of the construction software I have found offers it, but it's the only way to go in my opinion. Is your friend business minded or just a programmer? Most people that try to do this can never seem to get it off the ground. They either can't sell enough of them or can't keep up because they are a one man show.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #12
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 5,698

Quote:

if you use the program properly, I find Project iis very effective. I've been using it since 2005. Everything from remodels, addition and custom homes. Learned how to use it doing commercial projects as a superintendent.Trick is to follow the instructions and use the constraints properly.

John
Old 04-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws
if you use the program properly, I find Project iis very effective. I've been using it since 2005. Everything from remodels, addition and custom homes. Learned how to use it doing commercial projects as a superintendent.Trick is to follow the instructions and use the constraints properly.
I bought MS Project 98 when it came out and have been using it since. Except I think the future method is to integrate estimating and scheduling. It's much more efficient to write up your estimate then have it automatically write your schedule.

Advertisement