Switching To Apple - Technology - Contractor Talk

Switching To Apple

Old 04-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 228

Switching To Apple

Itís time to upgrade my pc lap top, which is my only computer, and I am considering switching over to the Mac World.

I use my iPad and iPhone regularly, for texting, email, browsing. I have Dropbox for files. I use Quickbooks for accounting, and Excel for estimating, and some drawing with DeltaCad.

Not sure how much I would have to re-learn using a Mac. I am not one to change and upgrade technology each time something new comes around, but there are some things that would probably be smoother if I switched over.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,696

Re: Switching To Apple

I was in your boat a little over a year ago.

I Phone, QBO Joist for estimates.

I bought a MacBook.

ďItís so intuitive,Ē They said.

ďItís so much easier,Ē they said

I havenít been on it much, Iím still trying to figure it out.

Everything is different then a PC, thatís for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Mordekyle For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (07-05-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,030

Iíve never use QuickBooks before but Iíve heard the Mac version is a lot different

You might want to look into that before you make the switch, I am an Apple user as well but Iím not very good with technology so I like the simplicity of the macs

And as stated above the macs definitely take a little bit of time to get used to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 07:30 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 996

The simplicity of Macs is what confuses me. I cant figure it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheConstruct For This Useful Post:
B.Johnson (04-20-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,602

I switched a few years ago after constant update issues

there are many youtube videos that are super helpful, much easier and much fewer iof any issues

biggest thing is file structure, no need to have tons of folders, everything is very easy to find in "Finder", recent folders are right at the top of the list, searches are faster.

I stopped using MS Office shortly after switching over, Numbers and Pages are just fine for what I do and I can open any MS file I need.

Took me about 3 months to really get the hang of it, I would never go back now.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:38 AM   #6
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 7,754

The iPhone is designed by intent to follow the same look and feel of the Apple Mac Desktop.

A good way to do is maybe go to an Apple Store with a list of routine tasks you do, set yourself in front of one, then see how you would go about it on the Apple product.

Rule of thumb used to be, what a business bought for a computer should be driven by the apps that business needs.

One thing remains true: Apple Macs do hold their resale value. And I mean they REALLY do.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
The iPhone is designed by intent to follow the same look and feel of the Apple Mac Desktop.

A good way to do is maybe go to an Apple Store with a list of routine tasks you do, set yourself in front of one, then see how you would go about it on the Apple product.

Rule of thumb used to be, what a business bought for a computer should be driven by the apps that business needs.

One thing remains true: Apple Macs do hold their resale value. And I mean they REALLY do.
That’s just what I did at Best Buy, spent 2 hrs there
Old 04-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 2,628

Adam's Apple.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #9
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,004

If you want to spend twice as much for the hardware have fun. Apple has never impressed me. Can't change out components and they stop supporting systems that are not but a few generations old.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
The Following User Says Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
KAP (07-05-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 05:06 PM   #10
John the Builder

I'm dinking around in my free time, making a dual boot laptop. Windows 10/Windows 7.

Anyway just reminded me of something about all the Mac machines that use Intel. Apple provides tool called Bootcamp, that allows your MAC to dual boot. That is, at startup, you can select to boot into the Mac desktop, or a version of Windows that you choose. I've not done it recently, but pretty sure you can use Windows 7, 8, or 10.

Now there's some stalwart hackers that can also get the Mac operating system working on certain PC laptops, but its not for the faint-hearted.

And here's something else you can do with a Mac: You can run a version of Windows from within the Mac desktop using a "Virtual Machine".

Now that is pretty darned neat also.

Attached image is of Windows 8.1 being installed onto the Mac desktop via a virtual machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Switching to Apple-install-windows-virtual-machine-mac.png  
Old 07-04-2019, 07:45 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Custom Builder
Rewards Points: 608

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRenovate View Post
If you want to spend twice as much for the hardware have fun. Apple has never impressed me. Can't change out components and they stop supporting systems that are not but a few generations old.
Not true and they still support my 2012 iMac.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:28 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Don't take trades, cash only.
Rewards Points: 906

Quote:
If you want to spend twice as much for the hardware have fun.
If you really compare spec for spec and quality of components, then no...the price difference is very minor. Of course you can build your own PC tower for less if you're really into that, but most people just want a machine that will work consistently. Macs also hold their value so you can sell off your old one and upgrade without taking the hit that you would trying to sell a used PC.
Quote:
Apple has never impressed me.
C'mon! Really? The iPod and iPhone when they first came out? Nothing else was in their league then.
Quote:
Can't change out components and they stop supporting systems that are not but a few generations old.
Yeah, the move to not being able to easily upgrade RAM and drives in the laptops kinda sucks, but it's a non issue for most users who just buy a computer and never mess with the hardware. You have to go back pretty far to find a machine that isn't supported anymore. Maybe the hardware on some of them aren't up to snuff to run the latest software, but they still work.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:29 PM   #13
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWhite View Post
Not true and they still support my 2012 iMac.
Actually it's very true. They have been caught throttling phones and not making updates. I am glad they support your 1012 iMac, but that does't disprove my claim.
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #14
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
If you really compare spec for spec and quality of components, then no...the price difference is very minor. Of course you can build your own PC tower for less if you're really into that, but most people just want a machine that will work consistently. Macs also hold their value so you can sell off your old one and upgrade without taking the hit that you would trying to sell a used PC.

It's not a minor difference. Show me. Show me spec for spec with a minor difference in price. Everyone knows you pay out the nose for Apple products.

You can buy an Alienware gaming system that will work and hold it's value and give you a lot more bang for your buck.

C'mon! Really? The iPod and iPhone when they first came out? Nothing else was in their league then.

Lol...nothing like it? They did bring web browsing to a desktop level, but that was on it's way regardless if they did it first or not. I will agree that the iPod had more storage but Rio had some great devices at the same time. But MP3 players had been around years before iPod. Once it became the in thing to have, it was on top.

Yeah, the move to not being able to easily upgrade RAM and drives in the laptops kinda sucks, but it's a non issue for most users who just buy a computer and never mess with the hardware. You have to go back pretty far to find a machine that isn't supported anymore. Maybe the hardware on some of them aren't up to snuff to run the latest software, but they still work.
Anything over 7 years is automatically considered vintage. Which isn't a bad policy, but I can't tell you how many Apple users complain about the service of products that are just a few years old. And again, Apple was caught red handed throttling devices they no longer wanted to support and at the same time would try and sell an upgraded product.

https://www.droid-life.com/2017/12/2...calls-feature/

And upgrading RAM is a good example. You pay out of the nose for an apple upgrade. It's RAM for crying out loud.

But I understand, you are an Apple guy and will defend them regardless of reality.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #15
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 8,300

I switched to a Mac years ago and would never go back. Just looking at the quality of the case should convince you. Well worth it.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:20 PM   #16
John the Builder

A 7 year old laptop or desktop - that's like 120 in dog years.

Who let the dogs out !!!
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2019, 06:08 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
A 7 year old laptop or desktop - that's like 120 in dog years.

Who let the dogs out !!!
Not in Mac life, it still runs the current OS Mojave and a new one will come out in Sept all free

My laptop is from mid 2012 and installed new SSD HD for $100 last year, and it runs very well and does everything that I need it to do include running Sketchup
Old 07-05-2019, 06:17 PM   #18
John the Builder

Have a PC laptop that is not quite 2 years old. It is physically self-destructing. Just from manhandling it, nor have I ever dropped it. But it is cracking apart in several areas from picking it up by one edge and swinging it onto my lap, or back onto the truck seat and so on.

Grit from being on the job has really fxxked keys and surfaces up.
Charging port has completely broken away from case. Everything is hed together with tape.

Just sees hard use. Wouldn't be any different if it was an Apple.

I don't get the deal on the expectation on how long they should last. Its a tool, nothing more. Run it til the wheels fall off and buy a new one.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:23 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Custom Builder
Rewards Points: 608

Quote:
Actually it's very true. They have been caught throttling phones and not making updates. I am glad they support your 1012 iMac, but that does't disprove my claim.
They had software to throttle the phone only when the battery was almost dead to preserve battery life. Apple has the highest adoption rate for new iOS updates of any manufacturer.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Have a PC laptop that is not quite 2 years old. It is physically self-destructing. Just from manhandling it, nor have I ever dropped it. But it is cracking apart in several areas from picking it up by one edge and swinging it onto my lap, or back onto the truck seat and so on.

Grit from being on the job has really fxxked keys and surfaces up.
Charging port has completely broken away from case. Everything is hed together with tape.

Just sees hard use. Wouldn't be any different if it was an Apple.

I don't get the deal on the expectation on how long they should last. Its a tool, nothing more. Run it til the wheels fall off and buy a new one.
You need to get the laptop that utility companies use, has some sort of a steel frame, and a cover on the keyboard that actually works well

Advertisement