Smart Phone For A Dummy... - Technology - Contractor Talk

Smart Phone For A Dummy...

Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 5,604

Smart Phone For A Dummy...

I may be interested in graduating from my old reliable cell phone to a smart phone.
I've had two year plans with verizon for a long time and have been happy with the service and coverage.
My first question: What are the differences I'll get with a smartphone that's gonna cost me $200 versus one that is free with a two-year sign-up?
I know nothing about smartphones.
Thanks.

Mark Twain

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
New Guy

Trade: Project Management Consulting
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Smart Phone For A Dummy...

Price of the phone isn't where they get you, it's the plan that hits hard.

But to answer your question, there's tons of good applications out there (many free) that can help you be more productive (i.e. calendar/ todo lists, note taking, file sharing, etc as well as photo sharing, which is a good marketing tool, scanner, flashlight, GPS, news, social media, and Internet browsing and even a contractor talk app)

Once you really delve into it, you'll wonder how you ever did without. Play with a lot of devices before deciding. I suggest either a droid platform device, or an Iphone. I would recommend steering clear of Blackberries, as they are severely lagging behind in functionality.

I have had Verizon plans for 5 years now and am pleased with the coverage and service as well.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trowlan1 For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (02-22-2013), Robie (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 11,506

Right now, Verizon is giving away the Casio Commando. It is tough and has been a workhorse for me. It isn't the fastest, but it is a good construction site phone, especially for free.

The new one is coming out in a month or so. If you want to pay, I would wait for that one. I'm using my upgrade when it comes out.
Robie (02-21-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Framing, Roofing, Siding
Rewards Points: 1,096

I use the Droid Charge and will be upgrading to the Galaxy SIII in another month when I'm due to reup. The differences between smartphones will not hinder you running a business in terms of functions you can use. However, an older, free smartphone will come with a much slower processor and an older operating system. It will probably be 3G, not 4G and might have other lagging specs, like little RAM, a smaller screen, weak camera, etc. I know, with me speed is everything. I look at my phone 50 times a day for 10-15 seconds at a time. Whenever an email alert "DROID" sound goes off, I head right too it. I wanna see what it is and get back to work. I have noticed a huge speed difference in loading PDF files. All my suppliers send me quotes and invoices in that form as well as many other PDF functions. I want it to load immediately, not 15 seconds later.

A quality camera is key for taking progress/finished photos on site. I've also used the flashlight app(through the camera flash) a half dozen times while crawling around in windowless basements and attics.

A 4G phone is a no brainer as well. First time, you're struggling for more than a minute to load a website off google you'll wanna chuck that thing out the window. I also use GPS constantly as well.

Like someone previously mentioned, once you switch, you'll wonder how you ever survived without one!
The Following User Says Thank You to MattK For This Useful Post:
Robie (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,894

Iphone and Droid phones will all have essentially the same functionality. Calendar, email, decent camera, flashlight app, free (or cheap) apps for figuring voltage drop or doing construction calculations. Iphone has more apps, but don't be swayed by that because there's plenty of good and bad stuff from both.

Reliability is a concern with some Droid models since it's a free market there is a lot of fragmentation. With the Iphone they're all the same. If you have a mac now then the answer is simple. If you have a PC it's tougher.

Definitely play with them in the store and see what deals they have when you sign a contract. Ask them what reliability is like for the Droid models you're looking at. I have an HTC G2 and have had luck with it.

Try the keyboard a lot on all of them. Mine has a fold out keyboard which is nice sometimes. Some have smaller screens and fat fingers can make for frustrating typing. I use Swype which allows you to swipe your finger along the keyboard on the touch screen and it figures out what word you want to type. Pretty neat. Voice recognition also works better than I thought on Droid phones, but I don't use it much. Not sure about iphone VR, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to aptpupil For This Useful Post:
Robie (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptpupil View Post
Try the keyboard a lot on all of them. Mine has a fold out keyboard which is nice sometimes. Some have smaller screens and fat fingers can make for frustrating typing. I use Swype which allows you to swipe your finger along the keyboard on the touch screen and it figures out what word you want to type.
Thats a great point. At 6'4" with large mitts and I forgot how nice the larger screen was when I upgraded. Keyboard use should be one of your priorities. A small one or unresponsive one and you'll end up hating the phone.
Robie (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

If your paying for the phone and its in the $200+ price ranges they will all be good phones.

You have 4 choices

Android-does loads right out the box.
Iphone-great phone for a tech newb as it keeps it dumbed down so even my grandma can use one
windows mobile-Great phones and some nice features but still not taking off that fast
BB- the new touch screen one coming out is a very nice phone. The older ones not so much
Robie (02-22-2013), WarriorWithWood (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
Pro

Although sometimes used for personal use, it's still a business tool. You wouldn't buy a needed power tool at a deep discount if it simply doesn't make your life/business easier and more efficient.
Robie (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Tech Geek

Trade: Remodeling Guru
Rewards Points: 1,366

If you're a tech dummy get an iphone, if your somebody that likes to tinker and personalize your devices get an Android.

I had my 65 year old mother get an iPhone because she doesn't like to learn new things and the iphone is perfect for those people. They have it so locked down and dumbified that my 5 year old can use it.

Android however is for the people that don't mind getting a little involved and learning how to properly use it. It can do a LOT more for the same price and it will have a much bigger screen for those people with big hands.

Windows phones are still very new and are yet to be proven in the market.

Blackberry phones are dead to the world, they just don't know it yet.

Last edited by WarriorWithWood; 02-22-2013 at 05:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to WarriorWithWood For This Useful Post:
Robie (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorWithWood View Post
If you're a tech dummy get an iphone, if your somebody that likes to tinker and personalize your devices get an Android.

I had my 65 year old mother get an iPhone because she doesn't like to learn new things and the iphone is perfect for those people. They have it so locked down and dumbified that my 5 year old can use it.

Android however is for the people that don't mind getting a little involved and learning how to properly use it. It can do a LOT more for the same price and it will have a much bigger screen for those people with big hands.

Windows phones are still very new and are yet to be proven in the market.

Blackberry phones are dead to the world, they just don't know it yet.
Dennis you should see the new BB. very nice phone. I was reading some about it a few months back and it had some great features. May be too little too late though.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,336

Let me say that if you're not looking at vid's / YouTube, uploading pics to Facebook or other data hog programs all day consider http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/port...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

As said its the plan that can get you. Just do the math over a 2 year cycle vs a national carrier. I pay $48 tax incl / month for smart phone service - unlimited talk, text 200 mb data daily - 2 gb monthly. I use about half of that.

Why should I pay $100 - $130 per month for a plan I don't need. I bought a recon Galaxy S II for $280 outright. Have been doing this for about a year now and are very happy.

If you can handle some minimal tech challenges then ST is for you. They're help is pretty good and this forum can help a lot too: http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...-Straight-Talk

This type of service is driving the market these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to We Fix Houses For This Useful Post:
Robie (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
Pro

Also - I knew nothing about smart phones other than all my friends were paying as I said above for service plans. I was paying $45 month with Verizon for my old flip phone.

You can www phone comparisons.

ST service "is" Verizon or AT&T depending on where you're at. I'm on AT&T.

You do need to learn a bit about GSM vs CDMA phones. Get he correct phone for service in your area if you buy from a reseller / web. The ST website will sell you the correct phone if you get it from them.

Also the Iphone 4s and 5 can do GSM or CDMA. Verizon = CDMA --- AT&T = GSM.

Addl - Also ST is 3G and HPSA which is 3G+. It will take a couple of years until 4G is on ST I believe.

Do you really need 4G right now ? 4G is like home broadband speeds - pretty neat but not a necessity for me.

Last edited by We Fix Houses; 02-22-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
Pro

National carrier $125 mo. x 24 = $3000
ST $48 mo. x 24 = 1152 + $275 phone = $1427

Year 3 - Nat'l $125 x 12 = $1500
ST - $48 x 12 = $576
Old 02-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 5,604

I presently have 3 phones on my plan...1400 minutes per month, friends and family, yada, yada...

The other two...one is for a friend of my deceased Mom...older lady...basic phone
Sister...same deal...basic phone.

My monthly bill with taxes and the charge so Obama voters can get a free phone is about $121 per month. It will be an additional $30 adding a smart phone for just me. The other two will remain the same.

Good/Bad?

Mark Twain
Old 02-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
Pro

Those basic phone are worth and can be on ST / ATT Go Phone for $32 mo. Even cheaper with some other brands Net 10, TracPhone, others.

That leaves you with about $80 - 90 per month for service. (others at $35 mo) The other phones will have to be actively managed / monthly plans if you leave Verizon / ATT.

The math is not quite as good with bundled plans but you can save.

Ask the question at Howard Forums if you have the interest - see what comes back ?

You can port you number to ST at no charge - any and all. True with the other off brands too. Its the same service towers. Believe me it is.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
Jeff

Trade: master turd burglar
Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robie View Post
I presently have 3 phones on my plan...1400 minutes per month, friends and family, yada, yada...

The other two...one is for a friend of my deceased Mom...older lady...basic phone

My monthly bill with taxes and the charge so Obama voters can get a free phone is about $121 per month. It will be an additional $30 adding a smart phone for just me. The other two will remain the same.

Good/Bad?
I found out last night go with the share everything plan. Saved me 30 bucks and i got more data and unlimited minutes.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #17
Tech Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robie View Post

Good/Bad?
VERY good, I pay $210 mo (75 ea) for 3 unlimited everything top tier phones on AT&T with
4G LTE.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #18
Tech Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
Dennis you should see the new BB. very nice phone. I was reading some about it a few months back and it had some great features. May be too little too late though.
Too little too late IMO. They should have done it 3-4 years ago while they had the momentum. Now they'll have to start all over with a 2% market share.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #19
Tech Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Fix Houses View Post
Those basic phone are worth and can be on ST / ATT Go Phone for $32 mo. Even cheaper with some other brands Net 10, TracPhone, others.

That leaves you with about $80 - 90 per month for service. (others at $35 mo) The other phones will have to be actively managed / monthly plans if you leave Verizon / ATT.

The math is not quite as good with bundled plans but you can save.

Ask the question at Howard Forums if you have the interest - see what comes back ?

You can port you number to ST at no charge - any and all. True with the other off brands too. Its the same service towers. Believe me it is.
If you want a pay as you go plan you can't beat Ting. you only pay for what you use. Take a look and compare.
https://ting.com/
Old 02-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 2

Plus with your new smartphone, you can download the CT app & play all day instead of working!

Advertisement

MattK (03-01-2013), pinturachica (02-26-2013)