Project Management Software For Renovation Contractor - Technology - Contractor Talk

Project Management Software For Renovation Contractor

Old 03-13-2019, 07:31 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4

Project Management Software For Renovation Contractor

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for anyones advice on Project Management software that allows flexibility of permission levels for employees, isn't too costly, and allows quickbooks integration. We are a residential renovation general contractor. Does anyone have any recommendations for a specific software they're currently using? I have spent a lot of time trying some already but I keep coming into roadblocks that seem non-negotiable, so I'm looking for additional ideas out there .... ?
Thank you!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 11:00 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,036

Re: Project Management Software For Renovation Contractor

With my previous employer we used Co-Construct. I haven't used it in a few years, but I liked what it was capable of

-Rich

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 07:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks Rich, I've tried this but found it lacks flexibility in permission levels, to the point where it's unusable for the different levels of employees we have.
Any other suggestions?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 830

Sage Timberline is one of the industry leaders. Have used it for many years as a GC.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #5

Trade: Business Improvement
Rewards Points: 14

You are touching on one of the riddles of the universe. Construction management software is so full of opportunity and disappointment at the same time. Historically, producers of integrated programs want to be everything and so don't play nicely or share information easily with other programs.

The problem you face here is nobody is good at everything. And software people have an infuriating habit of telling you to run your business a certain way because that is how their program works (business is supposed to work the other way round with suppliers asking you what you need). The other pain is how do you choose the solution you are looking for today (e.g. scheduling) with any confidence that the other future modules do the job for you when the time comes (e.g. material take-off)

Some other software producers recognize the need to focus on what they are good at without forcing you to use their all-in “solution”. They are willing to share information across platforms. But building the bridge between them is a tech-heavy task.

There is some hope on the horizon. There are standards evolving among developers so that if their products are designed to share information with other compliant software products. You choose the best solution for what you need now (e.g material take off) and choose different software to meet other demands in future (e.g. Scheduling, change management) with some hope that they will work together.

We aren't there yet though. Sorry, not really an answer to your question. But the industry needs to make some noise. When you talk to software people let them know that this is what you need/want. Then you would be able to introduce technology to your business in bite size amounts.

If you're interested look here:
https://www.buildingsmartcanada.ca/open-standards/
They get it, although maybe all about building/construction management, less so about running your business.

Or here:
https://zapier.com/zapbook/
Helping you integrate different software products is their thing. They list compliant software solutions on their website (still kind of light on options for builders/contractors)
Old 03-14-2019, 09:38 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,036

What kind of permissions are you looking to separate out? We were able to give field guys access to clear out to do items and tasks, but not be able to go into scheduling and financials that office and project managers would have access to.

I don't even know all the options available now. Builder trend (I think?) Was the only other option really available. Donny is a good guy though, had lunch with him a few times over the years

-Rich
Old 03-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #7
www.msiprocontractors.com

Rewards Points: 6

The user "It'sBusiness" has some great points, but there is a reason behind software developers trying to sell you on their solution. They are looking at the entire industry and trying to develop an application that helps with a specific set requirements from the majority or a certain version of contractors. When you contact them, they are not going to make modification or customization. The only way you will get completely customized application is when you dish out thousands of dollars on someone building you one.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #8

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 92

Most software programs do 1 thing fairly well. The problem is they start adding on other "modules" that don't work, and they become way too complicated.

I use On-Center software to do a quantity survey. Then, I enter the quantities into an Excel spreadsheet. I create a bid using Word. Certain GC's want the bid turned in thru an on-line service (Building Connected). If you get the job, then there's Procore to do submittals, etc thru. The contracts are sent electronically thru DocuSign. Then the GC has to get the contract from Docusign into Procore, which talks to Sage, which then talks to Textura so I can enter a pay request (and I have to pay a fee to Textura!).

Can someone explain how computers are making my life easier?
Old 03-23-2019, 02:44 PM   #9

Trade: Construction Management
Rewards Points: 120

Alot of the major brands such as Procore offer the permission type settings that you are looking for.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:47 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 862

Why does a renovation contractor need a software program with several levels of permissions?

Exactly what does a renovation contractor want a software program to do?

Then, you can ask to find a software program that matches your specific needs.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:57 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 862

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbii2 View Post
Most software programs do 1 thing fairly well. The problem is they start adding on other "modules" that don't work, and they become way too complicated.

I use On-Center software to do a quantity survey. Then, I enter the quantities into an Excel spreadsheet. I create a bid using Word. Certain GC's want the bid turned in thru an on-line service (Building Connected). If you get the job, then there's Procore to do submittals, etc thru. The contracts are sent electronically thru DocuSign. Then the GC has to get the contract from Docusign into Procore, which talks to Sage, which then talks to Textura so I can enter a pay request (and I have to pay a fee to Textura!).

Can someone explain how computers are making my life easier?
The answer to your problem is; do not attempt to use one large software program. It is much more effective and less expensive to use several small software programs where each one does only one or a few specific tasks.

The best a person can do is to develop their own software so the software is built specifically for the methods and systems in which you run your business. Creating your own software is actually very simple to do and you don't have to pay any monthly nor service fees for the rest of your working life.

I always say you can pay bundles of money for the rest of your working life for software that is not so great, or you can spend a little bit of time in the beginning to develop your own software and it will do exactly what you want it to do and be free for the rest of your working life.

You can take a little time to learn to create your own software, or you can contact software developers in the Philippines and India and get customized programs for a few hundred dollars and never have to pay fees in the future.

Last edited by daffysplumbing; 03-26-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #12

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 92

Part of the problem with all this today is all people want to do is work on their computer. No one wants to go out in the field and look at things and talk to people. Heaven forbid, you have to write a letter. Remember when you called someone to see if they got the email you sent to tell them to check their fax?

Advertisement