MS Outlook Integration - Technology - Contractor Talk

MS Outlook Integration

Old 05-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
Old Guy

Trade: Repair and Replace Windows and Doors
Rewards Points: 101

MS Outlook Integration

As much as I'd like to get an Android I don't feel confident that it will seamlessly integrate with Outlook.

I don't have MS exchange it would be through POP3.

I use most of the features in Outlook, including lots of categories and many different colors. It seems like Android is gonna make a mess of it.

So if you had to pick one phone that works best with Outlook, which would you recommend?

It has to be out there, my 7 year old Palm PDA did a stellar job with the calendar......it looked just like my desktop.
Thanx for your help!
John

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
Florida GC

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 250

Re: MS Outlook Integration

I have had good success with the iphone 3gs. That being said, I found that it seems to work best with the IMAP mail protocol vs. POP3. Not to say POP3 doesn't work, but my personal experience with the iphone/pop3 was less than stellar. Other than that, the regular outlook features like the calandar and the contacts, etc., all sync seamlessly both ways with the device and the workstation. I haven't seen anyone with the droid use it for anything more than basic email yet, so I can't testify as to the outlook feature compatibility. Other friends have gone the crackberry route and they seem to have no problems with it either. IMHO it's between the crackberry and the iphone 3gs.

You're not missing anything without MS Exchange. Outlook as a client does a fine job sending out notifications and such to other outlook mail clients in your contacts without exchange server in place.

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
Old Guy

Thanx for the reply. I talked with a couple of friends tonight that have Blackberrys and are heavy Outlook users. That's what they recommend.

I gotta remember this is a work purchase, as much as I'm attracted to the Android phones.

So, now I'm looking at the Blackberry Bold 9650 due out this month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
MattMatt

Trade: Remodeling/Renovation
Rewards Points: 75

There are a lot of factors to consider. Do you have your own Exchange server, are you using a hosted Exchange service, or are you just using Outlook as a client for a POP3 or IMAPI mail provider?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:15 AM   #5
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

I would hate to see you make a decision about a very important field tool, your mobile phone, solely based off a software email client.

Truth be told, Outlook is a clunky, system robbing, storage gobbling, popular piece of software. It is far from the most important piece of technology you are using.

Think real hard about that decision before you jump in. Mobile integration is about more than just email.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:05 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Kitchen and bath design+remodel
Rewards Points: 500

RoadSync if you must have Outlook, Gmail is great

Old 05-06-2010, 05:23 AM   #7
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhafner View Post
There are a lot of factors to consider. Do you have your own Exchange server, are you using a hosted Exchange service, or are you just using Outlook as a client for a POP3 or IMAPI mail provider?
I'm using Outlook as client for a POP3.......
Old 05-06-2010, 05:33 AM   #8
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
I would hate to see you make a decision about a very important field tool, your mobile phone, solely based off a software email client.

Truth be told, Outlook is a clunky, system robbing, storage gobbling, popular piece of software. It is far from the most important piece of technology you are using.

Think real hard about that decision before you jump in. Mobile integration is about more than just email.
Believe me, I'm agonizing over this decision.

I have a land line with a very good phone number that customers use and end up leaving messages as I'm in the field all day. I have a cell that I use for talking to my employee, subs, suppliers during the day. I had an epiphany and have decided to drop my cell #, port my land line # to my cell, discontinue the land line and solely use a cell phone. It makes sense as I'm not in the office all day to answer it anyway. If I get a smart phone I can check emails, schedule and talk to customers. My email address uses my domain name, so I'd rather not use GMail. I do, however, use GMail for personal emails. I think Outlook calendar blows away Google calendar, unless I'm missing something. The use of colors is very helpful. I can look at the calendar and know instantly who's working where, by the color of the event.

Anyway, this is a big decision and I'm just trying to make it into something that won't end up being frustrating......

Last edited by jocobe; 05-06-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:08 AM   #9
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,428

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocobe View Post
My email address uses my domain name, so I'd rather not use GMail. ......
you should probably keep reading up, b/c if you had read the post I made in this same forum, Google Apps takes YOUR domain name and runs the mail for it. I've been up and running on my HTC Incredible using Google Apps for 4 days now and even have an old gmail account (as in [email protected]) that forwards into my domain account. It is extremely convenient-I sat down to lunch and scrolled through the email account cleaning out and answering simple emails on the phone.

as far as the phone goes-I had a program once that put the answering machine on the computer, you record whatever message you want, and it could forward it as an email...the modem cards are tempermental and I was not able to get it to work, but when it did on my old computer the results were great. the company was NCH (I think) out of Australia, the program was IVM.

another plug for google apps: I've always made index cards w/ my load list for the next day-now I'm using the tasks feature in gmail and can check/change/add to it on the phone or through a browser window.

as angus said, it's a matter of efficiency, that's why I finally let go of Exchange and dealing w/ the not so friendly calendar issues. I'm still not ready to ditch Sharepoint for the intranet/doc server

Advertisement