Mobile Apps For Managing Business - Technology - Contractor Talk

Mobile Apps For Managing Business

Old 03-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #1

Trade: n/a
Rewards Points: 86

Mobile Apps For Managing Business

Hi guys,

I just read a blog post on CT about some apps for small construction business owners, and I am pretty interested in learning more. Since I don't have too much experience on utilizing apps to manage my biz. Just want some opinions from you guys. Let me know if you recommend any apps. It's better to be free so I can download it and test if I like it. Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-17-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 2,828

Re: Mobile Apps For Managing Business

Be helpful if you specify what type of business you have and what aspects you are hoping the apps can help manage.

Are you looking for help with invoicing, customer management, employee management, time tracking?

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2016, 07:17 AM   #3

Trade: AV
Rewards Points: 8

I have been searching high and low for an app that will do the following
  1. Clock In to Job
  2. Clock Out of Job
  3. Generate Invoice and email to customer with invoice showing start and stop time

Im also looking to switch to cloud based accounting, either QBO, Xero, or freshbooks. Im willing to go to whichever one someone makes a good 3rd party time tracking app for since non of them have good built in time tracking.

Some of the apps come close but still non allow you to automatically add stop/start time to the invoice. Toggl comes close itleast keeps track of stop and start and allows you to export it to a spreadsheet. But with there app the intervals that it syncs with freshbooks are ??? so you clock out and your time might show up in freshbooks 5 minutes later or hours later.

So far they all fail miserably. Maybe Im the only person in the world who puts start and stop times on there invoices for jobs that are billed as time and material so if thats the case I guess Ill just stick with my clunky spreadsheets and using 3 different programs to get an invoice out the door. It seems that all of the apps where designed by people who have never actually done any work in the field. If someone has a good solution please let me know
The Following User Says Thank You to sealtech For This Useful Post:
Rick_Methvin (03-28-2016)

Old 03-28-2016, 10:15 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Whatever the customer wants
Rewards Points: 2,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealtech View Post
  1. Clock In to Job
  2. Clock Out of Job
  3. Generate Invoice and email to customer with invoice showing start and stop time

Im also looking to switch to cloud based accounting, either QBO, Xero, or freshbooks. Im willing to go to whichever one someone makes a good 3rd party time tracking app for since non of them have good built in time tracking.

Some of the apps come close but still non allow you to automatically add stop/start time to the invoice. Toggl comes close itleast keeps track of stop and start and allows you to export it to a spreadsheet. But with there app the intervals that it syncs with freshbooks are ??? so you clock out and your time might show up in freshbooks 5 minutes later or hours later.

So far they all fail miserably. Maybe Im the only person in the world who puts start and stop times on there invoices for jobs that are billed as time and material so if thats the case I guess Ill just stick with my clunky spreadsheets and using 3 different programs to get an invoice out the door. It seems that all of the apps where designed by people who have never actually done any work in the field. If someone has a good solution please let me know
I don't have personal experience with it, but have you looked into Harvest?
https://www.getharvest.com/features/invoicing
Old 03-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philament View Post
I don't have personal experience with it, but have you looked into Harvest?
https://www.getharvest.com/features/invoicing
Its the same as the rest but thanks, so far to no avail I have tried

* geoops
* workflow
* zoho
* harvest
* toggl
* everhour
The Following User Says Thank You to sealtech For This Useful Post:
Rick_Methvin (03-28-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 05:16 PM   #6
Pro

Last I looked zoho would let you do projects and set the start and stop time and then bill it to the customer.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SectorSecurity View Post
Last I looked zoho would let you do projects and set the start and stop time and then bill it to the customer.
Unless Im overlooking something I dont think it will show the start and stop time only the duration. It will let you add about every other detail though.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #8

Trade: Carpenter

Hey guys,

Friend of mine just told me about this site. Saw this. So basically I have a carpentry background and am a GC. Made my own app for my company, people like it and basically made a business out of it.

It does everything that's wanted in here and is probably the most user friendly thing around. Website is www.site2site.ca , I'm alex - ask me anything I'll respond best I can.
The Following User Says Thank You to carpenter243 For This Useful Post:
Hardly Working (10-02-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Its the same as the rest but thanks, so far to no avail I have tried

* geoops
* workflow
* zoho
* harvest
* toggl
* everhour
All those programs are not meant for contractors I'm not a fan. Tried them all before I made my own app.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:49 PM   #10
Pro

Your app looks promising going to give it a trial run!
Old 03-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter243 View Post
All those programs are not meant for contractors I'm not a fan. Tried them all before I made my own app.
agreed, but there is not much out there. Even the ones that are marketed towards contractors still for the most part stink. The problem is they are all designed by designers who have never actually done any related work and dont understand the workflow.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Unless Im overlooking something I dont think it will show the start and stop time only the duration. It will let you add about every other detail though.
When you go to log project time in zoho under time spent there is a link "set start end and time instead"

This will let you put start and stop times.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SectorSecurity View Post
Your app looks promising going to give it a trial run!
Awesome! If you want send me an email anytime [email protected]
Old 03-30-2016, 08:56 PM   #14

Quote:
agreed, but there is not much out there. Even the ones that are marketed towards contractors still for the most part stink. The problem is they are all designed by designers who have never actually done any related work and dont understand the workflow.
Yeah exactly. Again what I'm saying above. Been in the field since 11, licensed carpenter, site super etc. Worked for my dad's GC company.

The app we made for our company was made by myself and also another dude who's dad is in HVAC, so we made an app that works for the guys in the field as I knew it had to be designed well or they wouldn't use it.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #15
Business Development

Trade: Technology Application for General Contractors
Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
  1. Clock In to Job
  2. Clock Out of Job

Hi
I am the Business Development director of a start-up in Montreal. We offer W, an app designed to manage the time and presences on sites. Your point 3 is interesting and I would like to know more about.
Since some of ou clients have shown some interest, we are now developing W in a cost control management way. All invoices, plus the time worked by the employees, are automatically registered in the right file. The invoice to the client is generated automatically under 4 categories: working hours, material, equipment, others.
Is it what you have in mind for your point 3?
Old 06-08-2016, 02:57 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 653

qbo & tsheets

Old 06-08-2016, 05:52 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Commercial Loading Dock and Door Contractor
Rewards Points: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by reglyce View Post
Hi
I am the Business Development director of a start-up in Montreal. We offer W, an app designed to manage the time and presences on sites. Your point 3 is interesting and I would like to know more about.
Since some of ou clients have shown some interest, we are now developing W in a cost control management way. All invoices, plus the time worked by the employees, are automatically registered in the right file. The invoice to the client is generated automatically under 4 categories: working hours, material, equipment, others.
Is it what you have in mind for your point 3?
I just looked at your website, there is no pricing on there, how much is your program for a company of 7 employees?

www.BadcoDoors.com
Old 06-09-2016, 08:03 AM   #18
Business Development

Trade: Technology Application for General Contractors
Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearce Services View Post
I just looked at your website, there is no pricing on there, how much is your program for a company of 7 employees?
Hi Kevin,
I apologize, since we are in the launching period, the pricing is only available in the french version of the website.
Here below the fees for an annual subscription:
- a fixed rate of 30 USD per month and 5 USD per employees and per month
For your 7 employees, the total cost is 65 USD/month or 780 USD/year.
It includes one month free trial and 24h/24 assistance. All the timesheet are exported in Excel format.
I will be very glad to give you more details. Feel free to contact me @ [email protected].
Kr,
Old 08-15-2017, 08:14 AM   #19

Trade: Contracting trade

Try Construction Daily Log app; Construction Estimator and Bidding app; Construction Manager app

Advertisement