Looks Like Kasperski Is The AV To Have... - Technology - Contractor Talk

Looks Like Kasperski Is The AV To Have...

Old 06-22-2015, 07:37 PM   #1
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 11,087

Looks Like Kasperski Is The AV To Have...

If you want to thwart the hackers and govt intrusions.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2486506,00.asp
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

Re: Looks Like Kasperski Is The AV To Have...

I purchased Kaspersky about 5 years ago, installed it and then immediately removed it.

Personally, I don't believe in using any type of virus nor spyware software because the software itself is worse than having a virus due to all the b.s. you have to go through for maintenance, updates, reminders, popups and the way the software runs in the background, bogs down your computer and causes crashes.

The first thing I do when I get a computer is to remove Norton and MacAfee spyware crap that comes with new computers.

As for keeping my computer safe I don't do online banking. If you don't want someone to get your stuff then don't put in on your computer. If you don't want people hacking into your computer then turn off your router when you don't need the internet or turn off your computer when you are not using it.

As for dealing with viruses, I find it hard to believe that people go through all the money and b.s. when it takes less than 45 minutes to wipe a drive clean and re-install your operating system so your computer is as good as new.

I put every file on my computer in one folder and back up that folder every week or sooner depending on how much information I update in my computer.

I am fairly positive that all spyware is loaded with real or fake viruses to make sure you pay for the upgrades and continue to purchase their spyware. There is no other explanation why when you purchase spyware software you constantly keep getting messages that your computer is infected. The spyware supposedly cleans your computer and doesn't it seem strange that a few days later even when you don't use your computer the spyware is telling you that your computer is infected, again.

You can keep your computer clean by removing all spyware. The best for viruses is MS Security Essentials and it is free. I never get false notifications saying that my computers are infected.

Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 10:07 PM   #3
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 11,087

I don't know about your computer setup. But installing my OS and then all the programs I have would take 2 days. I have over 300,000 files on my disk between the OS, Programs and files generated from the programs, data, pictures, videos etc.

I run quite a few different "protections" on my computer and over the decades have had very few problems with a virus or spyware.

I have Symantec on my computer, but it is very outdated. On occasion it finds something. I run Zone Alarm, Spy-Bot Search and destroy which includes the teatimer program and on my browser I rub NoScript, AdBlocker Plus and Ghostery. Once in a while I'll run Malwarebytes and every so often it'll find something. I have a copy of CCleaner that I also run on occasion.

I've been running my system for 7 years and still have the original OS installed.

I also run a program called NetWorx which lets me monitor my input and output over the internet. Simple program, but shows my on a graph the amount of data coming in and out.

It once alerted me to a rouge FireFox add on I was using that was sending data to Denmark. I found that out by using the program Wire Shark to trace the packets by IP destination.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 10:48 PM   #4
CAD Services

Trade: So done with this place...
Rewards Points: 144

Kaspersky is out of Russia..........no doubt in bed with (or forced to) by GRU or FSB. If NSA has been inside our tech, so too has Russian intelligence been in their tech exports.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:12 AM   #5
Sure, I can do that...

Trade: carpentry/renovations
Rewards Points: 196

Try using ESET Nod 32 Smart Security.
Low system usage, never had an issue with it bogging the system.
Highly rated, but costs a small fee per year.
Updates in the background daily.

Been using it for years. No issues.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:58 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,900

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcplumber View Post
As for dealing with viruses, I find it hard to believe that people go through all the money and b.s. when it takes less than 45 minutes to wipe a drive clean and re-install your operating system so your computer is as good as new.
Loading and customizing OS and apps takes days for me. I have one system that I have cloned the drive with clean installs on all the software, so I can swap in a new drive if there is any glitch.

As for online security, there is a lot that can be done for free without antivirus software, but antivirus is still a good idea.

If I want to be totally secure, I boot off a thumb drive with a light OS and no disk available, nothing saved to the thumb drive. If something gets mysteriously written to the thumb drive, I just throw it out - I have plenty, they're cheap.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:02 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodel Contractor
Rewards Points: 830

Been using Kaspersky for at least the last 6 years or so......no complaints. It sure beats Mcafee that I used before that.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:21 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,900

Free antivirus rankings are a little different:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388652,00.asp
Old 06-23-2015, 09:30 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 2,828

Here is a little known fact about the antivirus software world. There are only 4 actual antivirus engines, this is the code that makes the program run. Then you have your definition database which is how the software detects threats, this is what sets AV software apart.

For the most part all the software has the same or similar engine behind it, it comes down to how much crap they decide to pile on top and how strong their definition database is.

Mind you I am not taking into account heuristic scanning here.

I will see if I can find the defcon talk on the topic.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 3,272

Wasnt this the same company who found the hidden code in like every hard drive manufactured?

Ahh, yep, it is.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0LK1QV20150217
Old 06-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 655

Ive never had a virus since i stopped using anti-virus, seems to me these companies make the viruses to sell the software, a bit like the gazing company that ties a business card to a brick and lobs it through your window

If you run a vm on your computer you can restore it within minutes

The Following User Says Thank You to carpenter uk For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (06-24-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 874

Traditional signature based av is more or less dead when it comes to today's apt' s and malware. Application whitelisting like bit9 and microsoft app locker seem to be where the market is moving. The concept of application whitelist of trusted applications and digital signatures, ie trust all software signed by Microsoft, and if its not, don't let it execute.

As good as this tech is, its probably not well suited to home use. What I can recommend is application sandboxing, which executes applications in a falsified container so any payload downloaded through a browser or email liked to the web is written to a falsified registry and redirected file system. Simply rebooting or purging this sandbox would get rid of any malware/ virus contracted via the sandboxed application.

While there are more robust solutions like bromium for corporate use, for home use I strongly recommend sandboxie from invincia. It's worth the 29 bucks to get the paid for version so you can have the most vulnerable apps like browsers , java, and email automatically sandbox at launch, but you can try the free version to start. If you bought a Dell recently, there is a chance you already have a Dell rebranded version of this software, for the life of me I can't remember what they call it.

Advertisement