How To Block The Vegetable Ad - Technology - Contractor Talk

How To Block The Vegetable Ad

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM   #1
Pro
 
MarkJames's Avatar
 
Trade: Handyman Services
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 9,354
Rewards Points: 15,651

How To Block The Vegetable Ad


I use yahoo via Brave or FF. I would like to block this ad annoyance: "doc begs america to ban that one vegetable".

Any suggestions on how to do that? If I could technologically shove any vegetable somewhere else, I'd like to do that, too.
MarkJames is online now  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM   #2
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 16,920
Rewards Points: 5,252

Re: How To Block The Vegetable Ad


As in yahoo.com ?

Don't use that site lately. just went there, no such ad popped up with Chrome and AdBlock.

Anyway, you could try


https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bdgdf?hl=en-US

Advertisement

__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is offline  
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM   #3
Pro
 
MarkJames's Avatar
 
Trade: Handyman Services
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 9,354
Rewards Points: 15,651

Re: How To Block The Vegetable Ad


Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
As in yahoo.com ?

Don't use that site lately. just went there, no such ad popped up with Chrome and AdBlock.

Anyway, you could try


https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bdgdf?hl=en-US
It's always there for me when scrolling down a bit. Banner-headline type. I'm logged in at the time, not sure if it's there otherwise.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/5...nks-gut-doctor

Last edited by MarkJames; Yesterday at 09:53 AM.
MarkJames is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM   #4
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 16,920
Rewards Points: 5,252

Re: How To Block The Vegetable Ad


Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
It's always there for me when scrolling down a bit. Banner-headline type. I'm logged in at the time, not sure if it's there otherwise.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/5...nks-gut-doctor

In Chrome with AdBlock, that link will not even load. so tells me AdBlock is already aware of it.
__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is offline  
Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM   #5
LRG WoodCrafting

 
Leo G's Avatar
 
Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Windsor Locks, Connecticut
Posts: 41,077
Rewards Points: 21,047

Re: How To Block The Vegetable Ad


Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
I use yahoo via Brave or FF. I would like to block this ad annoyance: "doc begs america to ban that one vegetable".

Any suggestions on how to do that? If I could technologically shove any vegetable somewhere else, I'd like to do that, too.
AdBlockPlus

Click on the icon

Click on Block the Element

Put your mouse over the ad you wish to remove and it'll turn yellow. Sometimes only parts of it turn yellow. If that happens move the mouse around and see if you can get the whole thing to light up. If not, you may have to do it in stages.

After you click it it turns pink and a box comes up asking if you want to add the filter, choose add.

It should disappear at that point, or partially disappear. Like I said, you may have to do it multiple times as some ads have many elements.
__________________
Sawdust Follows Me Everywhere
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Sanding is the bane of my existence
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Leo G is online now  
Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM   #6
Pro
 
MarkJames's Avatar
 
Trade: Handyman Services
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 9,354
Rewards Points: 15,651

Re: How To Block The Vegetable Ad


Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
AdBlockPlus

Click on the icon

Click on Block the Element

Put your mouse over the ad you wish to remove and it'll turn yellow. Sometimes only parts of it turn yellow. If that happens move the mouse around and see if you can get the whole thing to light up. If not, you may have to do it in stages.

After you click it it turns pink and a box comes up asking if you want to add the filter, choose add.

It should disappear at that point, or partially disappear. Like I said, you may have to do it multiple times as some ads have many elements.
Trying, but getting this and a dialog box. Any idea?

"We were unable to automatically populate a correct CSS selector for you. Please manually enter a CSS selector to block:"
MarkJames is online now  
Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM   #7
Pro
 
MarkJames's Avatar
 
Trade: Handyman Services
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 9,354
Rewards Points: 15,651

Re: How To Block The Vegetable Ad


Regarding CSS selectors, I came across this, but it's over my head.

https://adblockplus.org/development-...-filter-syntax

But I might delve into this later.
https://help.eyeo.com/adblockplus/how-to-write-filters

Last edited by MarkJames; Yesterday at 01:42 PM.
MarkJames is online now  
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM   #8
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 16,920
Rewards Points: 5,252

Re: How To Block The Vegetable Ad


Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
Regarding CSS selectors, I came across this, but it's over my head.

https://adblockplus.org/development-...-filter-syntax

But I might delve into this later.
https://help.eyeo.com/adblockplus/how-to-write-filters
The use ScriptSafe
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bdgdf?hl=en-US
__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is offline  
Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM   #9
LRG WoodCrafting

 
Leo G's Avatar
 
Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Windsor Locks, Connecticut
Posts: 41,077
Rewards Points: 21,047

Re: How To Block The Vegetable Ad


Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
Trying, but getting this and a dialog box. Any idea?

"We were unable to automatically populate a correct CSS selector for you. Please manually enter a CSS selector to block:"
Never had a problem or a dialog box open up when I was applying an element filter.

Can you try it on another ad to see if it does the same thing? Maybe this particular ad was written to subvert the ad blocker.

I know the message you are talking about. I have them all blocked. I'm running Firefox
__________________
Sawdust Follows Me Everywhere
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Sanding is the bane of my existence
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Leo G is online now  
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM   #10
Pro
 
MarkJames's Avatar
 
Trade: Handyman Services
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 9,354
Rewards Points: 15,651

Re: How To Block The Vegetable Ad


Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Never had a problem or a dialog box open up when I was applying an element filter.

Can you try it on another ad to see if it does the same thing? Maybe this particular ad was written to subvert the ad blocker.

I know the message you are talking about. I have them all blocked. I'm running Firefox
It's the only ad left that isn't blocked on yahoo.
MarkJames is online now  
Old Today, 12:00 AM   #11
Pro
 
VinylHanger's Avatar
 
Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,005
Rewards Points: 11,072

Re: How To Block The Vegetable Ad


Yahoo? What are you? 80?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
__________________
Your emergency does not constitute a problem with my Constitution.
VinylHanger is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to VinylHanger For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (Today)
Old Today, 12:01 AM   #12
I own stock in FotoMat!
 
480sparky's Avatar
 
Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 12,031
Rewards Points: 11,986

Re: How To Block The Vegetable Ad


Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
Yahoo? What are you? 80?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I thought Yahoo was a chocolate drink.

Sent from MyOuthouse using ToiletPaper.

Advertisement

__________________
This post has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit this screen and edited for content.
480sparky is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to 480sparky For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (Today)



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?