Hmmm Look Whats Happened Here!

Old 03-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 530

Hmmm Look Whats Happened Here!

Seams BB is on top of amazon's list.

http://blackberryempire.com/blackber...elling-phones/

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,846

Re: Hmmm Look Whats Happened Here!

Ive been thinking about that phone or the S4. Whichever one has a better gps I suppose.

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpentry Contractor
Rewards Points: 496

It didn't last long on top. I just checked and it' s #6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Its meant to be a very good phone. It must be pretty good as i have a mate who is a rabid Apple fanboy and even he bought one
Old 03-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
Hilton Carpentry Inc.

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 29

The Z10 is a great phone, I've been a BB user for 5 years and it does everything I need a smartphone to do
The keyboard is amazing, was gonna hold out for the physical keyboard but I caved and got the Z10 and glad I did . I can almost type as fast as my 13 yr old on her iphone but I have less mistakes,it just knows what I want to type
Apps are coming in on a daily basis so I should match my daughters 5 fart apps any day now
Old 03-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Tech Geek

Trade: Remodeling Guru
Rewards Points: 1,366

It's the last gasp of a dying company. I'll bet they're bought for their patents within the next 5 years.
Dmitry (03-28-2013), Inner10 (03-28-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Pro

I am waiting for the keyboard one too. I don't think I could use a virtual board after using a physical one for so long.

What other company has had a single order for a million units ever? Not one ever!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #8

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Is the keyboard going to take up half the phone as the Bold, or will it be a slide with full screen? I am not a fan of touch screen, so I may wait for the full keybord.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
Pro

It will look like the bold 9900. at least from what I have seen on Crackberry.com. I hear the browser is lightning fast. Instant site loading and ultra fast downloads.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:37 AM   #10
Hilton Carpentry Inc.

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 29

I wasn't fan of the touch screen keyboard either but I just couldn't wait,I'd figure my youngest daughter is bugging me for a phone so if I didn't like the Z10, I would give her that and I would grab the Q10. But the keyboard is great. Even with my original BB with a physical keyboard,I was constantly backspacing because my fat fingers would hit the wrong key, but with the Z10 keyboard my thumbs are just a moving not worrying if I hit the right keys . When I go to hit the space key ,95% of the time the word I meant to type is sitting there. I look up to see what I typed,not even close
Plus I have a nice big screen
Old 03-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #11
Pro

Nice thats what I am worried about with the virtual board. I wish that I could try a real one but all the stores only use dummy models so they won't get ripped off.

On another note BlackBerrry released their numbers last night and made just over 98 million or so last quarter. Nice rebound from 125 mill loss same time last year.

I also don't see how people think its dead with over 100 billion in the bank in liquid assets. Seams to me apple was supposed to die some time in the 90's and they came back. 2X from what I remember.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
Pro

Globe and Mail article explains the new financials.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle10478674/

Research In Motion Ltd. has returned to profitability on the sale of one million new BlackBerry Z10 smartphones, beating analyst expectations even as its total subscriber base continued to decline in an increasingly competitive industry.

RIM, which has rebranded the company as BlackBerry, saw sales of $2.7-billion (U.S.) in the fiscal fourth quarter, with a net income of $98-million or 19 cents a share, compared with a loss of $125-million or 24 cents a year earlier. On a continuing basis, earnings in the latest quarter were $94-million or 22 cents. Analysts had forecast a loss of 34 cents per share.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
New Guy

Trade: Project Management Consulting
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg from K/W View Post
I am waiting for the keyboard one too. I don't think I could use a virtual board after using a physical one for so long.

What other company has had a single order for a million units ever? Not one ever!
Part of the evolution of smart phones. when Blackberry came out, there wasn't a lot to choose from. Now, there's likely more smart phones on the market than traditional cell phones, and over the past 3-4 years blackberry just hasn't kept up with the performance of other devices. I'm with W3 saying it's likely the last gulp of air.
The Following User Says Thank You to trowlan1 For This Useful Post:
WarriorWithWood (03-29-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
Pro

Well W is wrong. You guys see the twist the media puts on the company. My wife works there and the things they are working on will take other companies out of the running. Did you know every phone that has a qwerty key board was licensed from BlackBerry? Thats a hell of a lot of phones.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,846

Im moving away from Droid and Gmail. Possibly windows or the BB phone. Here is why

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...ing_power.html
Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #16
deck aficionado

Trade: General Building
Rewards Points: 973

Might as well weigh in on this. I'm a BB guy, have the 9930 now and I'm waiting on the Q10 for the same reason as everyone else...physical keyboard. The fiancée has an iphone and I've tried but for some reason I just can't get the touch screen. The Q10 is almost identical to the 9930 except the top row of buttons (bb button, back button, etc) have been replaced w/ touch screen buttons. Cool w/ me, just means more screen space and it's not like I'm using those buttons a lot anyway.

Here's my beef with blackberry....apps. Maybe it just so happens that every app I'm interested in happens to be available only on apple and android, but that would be the one reason I'd switch to android. There are a bunch of helpful apps for construction guys that I would love to have access to but once again, only for apple/android. If BB would step up it's game in the app world I see no problem w/ the company from a user standpoint.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:56 AM   #17
Tech Geek

I have to admit, this was a smart idea.

Quote:
BlackBerry’s App World now touts 100,000 BB10 applications. An impressive number for a platform just months old. But out of those 100,000 applications, roughly 20% are Android apps, simply ported over rather than being coded specifically for BlackBerry 10.
http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/27/bla...is-paying-off/
Old 03-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #18
Tech Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg from K/W View Post
My wife works there
This explains a lot. You're opinion isn't exactly unbiased Greg. Face it, if this "last gasp" fails, so does the company. They've been continuously losing market share since 2k. Will this be the magic bullet that saves the company? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell. They don't exactly have the best track record when trying something different. The tablet, failed. Blackberry Storm, failed. Q10?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #19
New Guy

Trade: Service Provider
Rewards Points: 10

They still make Blackberry's?

I think the Samsung S3 or S4 (not much difference between the two) is the way to go. Once you get used to the on-screen keyboard you'll forget you ever wanted a hard-key keyboard.

Advertisement