Have We Done Phones? - Technology - Contractor Talk

Have We Done Phones?

Old 04-30-2019, 07:30 PM  
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 13,734

Have We Done Phones?

I mean, they're a tool now right?

Anyhow, I had the Nexus 6p which was a damn good phone. I liked it but I had to get something new after a couple years and bought the pixel 2XL when it came out.

What a piece of ****. I literally hate this phone maybe as much as I hated the iPhone when I had one. Seems to jump in and out of service, decides to just not work some times. Total garbage phone, I think Inner warned me of it.

So, here I am looking at phones again and barnone the greatest phone I ever owned was the Note 3 (maybe it was a 4, it was the one before the whole debacle of Notes exploding). So that's when I switched to the Nexus. I ended up just buying a Note 8 because these things have plenty for what I want to do and just bought it outright unlocked and didn't need the next greatest one.

My question is has anyone ever used straight talk and if so what's the downside? They use Verizon towers which gets service out in the country where I live along with Sprint. The big deal is the straight talk thing isn't a bunch of bull**** fees and contracts blah blah blah. My wife has it and we pay about the same for hers as I do mine as far as usage bill. It's simple and easy.

I have Project Fi right now which cost me about 40 bucks a month. Is straight talk a good deal or is she doing something that I won't be able to do? I can go to any US carrier but I ain't ever signing another contract with any of these fools.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 07:56 PM  
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,335

Re: Have We Done Phones?

Yes, we've done lotsa phones--in the Technology section, where this thread now resides.

While I've heard good things about Straight Talk, I've just never quite been tempted enough to stray from Verizon. Maybe just on the supposition that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

My lethargy stems from a long history of field service work all over creation, with Verizon being consistently top in coverage as well as overall technical competence. I should probably re-think that. These days, my service area would be within reach of a long-tendriled carrot.

But I do still hike and camp...

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (05-02-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 08:38 PM  
Pro

Trade: Pole Barns, Residential Framing
Rewards Points: 562

I've had Page Plus Cellular for gotta be 8-10 years. No complaints.

They use Verizon's network, can use any Verizon branded phone or unlocked.

I'm paying somewhere around 42 bucks a month, taxes included, for unlimited talk and text, and 8 gigs of data.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 08:41 PM  
Pro

Trade: Pole Barns, Residential Framing
Rewards Points: 562

My dad had straight talk for several years, and had trouble with the auto renew renewing, and I always seemed to have service when he didn't. Buut he tends to have trouble with technology in general, so take that for what it is......

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2019, 05:41 PM  
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 7,818

Did I not cover this when I talked about the new iPhone I got?

Anyway, TracFone, Total Wireless and Straight Talk are all under the same parent company called "América Móvil".

In this area, all 3 use Verizon towers/technology.

And it is exceptionally good.

You can have your phone and number transferred to either of the others, regardless of how you originated service, depending on the phone make/model.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:49 PM  
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 345

While I have stuck with Verizon for about 6 years, I am through buying the latest $1000 phone. Recently the wife and I got the Motorolla Moto G6 for $150 each and couldn't be happier.

Easy Gibson
The Following User Says Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 07:27 PM  
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
While I have stuck with Verizon for about 6 years, I am through buying the latest $1000 phone. Recently the wife and I got the Motorolla Moto G6 for $150 each and couldn't be happier.
I like my iPhone and will continue to buy them. But I don't buy a new one every year. I'm on a 6S right now which is maybe 4 years old I guess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xtrememtnbiker For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (05-01-2019), SmallTownGuy (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 08:39 PM  
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 702

I will not have a phone payment. That's just crazy to me. My last couple phones have been a model that is a year or 2 old I get off Ebay for $100-$200. I can't see leaving Verizon. Been with them since they took over Cellular One...about 18 years give or take.

Current phone is an LG G6. Been decent. Like Samsung phones but I don't need or want the curved glass edge. Never gonna do iPhone.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
mrcat (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 08:54 PM  
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 13,525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Yes, we've done lotsa phones--in the Technology section, where this thread now resides.

While I've heard good things about Straight Talk, I've just never quite been tempted enough to stray from Verizon. Maybe just on the supposition that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

My lethargy stems from a long history of field service work all over creation, with Verizon being consistently top in coverage as well as overall technical competence. I should probably re-think that. These days, my service area would be within reach of a long-tendriled carrot.

But I do still hike and camp...
It would be nice to not have service when hiking and camping (except for the life-threatening bear attack, etc...)
Old 05-01-2019, 08:57 PM  
Pro

Btw, I went cheap with Samsung J7 (Verizon) recently. Bleah. The phone is slow for pics...and the glass cracked too easily.

I've heard great things about the various Samsung Notes, and shoulda gone that route.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:16 PM  
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by overanalyze View Post
Never gonna do iPhone.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
Damn it Andrew... You were always a good friend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xtrememtnbiker For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (05-02-2019), SmallTownGuy (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 12:24 AM  
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 18,242

I have 5 devices and my bill is 172.00 a month. Verizon is what I use.

Mike.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:40 AM  
John the Builder

Had I not been negligent, my old iPhone 5c would still be serving me.

As it stands, this new iPhone SE was 139.00, and the store gave me a $30 gift card, which I applied, so $109.00 plus sales tax out the door.

And: the reason I did this is - I honest to God couldn't stand the thought of driving over an hour to the Apple store in a mall named Somerset Collection, and waiting for another 1.5 hours while someone named Sheldon in tight pants swishes around doing that thing all the Apple employees are trained to do.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:23 AM  
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
Had I not been negligent, my old iPhone 5c would still be serving me.

As it stands, this new iPhone SE was 139.00, and the store gave me a $30 gift card, which I applied, so $109.00 plus sales tax out the door.

And: the reason I did this is - I honest to God couldn't stand the thought of driving over an hour to the Apple store in a mall named Somerset Collection, and waiting for another 1.5 hours while someone named Sheldon in tight pants swishes around doing that thing all the Apple employees are trained to do.
What's that thing they're all trained to do?
Old 05-02-2019, 06:35 AM  
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,534

Sprint here, note 9. My second one, first one met its fate with a forklift.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2019, 06:38 AM  
John the Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
What's that thing they're all trained to do?
exactly
Old 05-02-2019, 06:45 AM  
Pro

Quote:
exactly
Exactly what? Is it the deadpan stare, leaving one to guess whether it's compassion, pity or just a scoff of the pathetic?
Old 05-02-2019, 06:55 AM  
John the Builder

Quote:
Exactly what? Is it the deadpan stare, leaving one to guess whether it's compassion, pity or just a scoff of the pathetic?
D all of the above. Some of each of these:

The guy with the too tidy apron at Starbucks. The waitress consumed with getting the silverware lined up just right next to your plate of coney dogs and fries. The jewelry salesman on "That 70's Show".

And the one thing all of them say in one form or another - "My goal is that you have an enjoyable Experience".

And yeah, they verbally capitalize Experience. It's like the one word they remember from remedial English class, so its over pronounced.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 07:14 AM  
Pro

Quote:
D all of the above. Some of each of these:

The guy with the too tidy apron at Starbucks. The waitress consumed with getting the silverware lined up just right next to your plate of coney dogs and fries. The jewelry salesman on "That 70's Show".

And the one thing all of them say in one form or another - "My goal is that you have an enjoyable Experience".

And yeah, they verbally capitalize Experience. It's like the one word they remember from remedial English class, so its over pronounced.
Maybe it's worse in the midwest. Have you considered vlogging? Might be a good show for clicks. I'd subscribe.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:27 AM  
John the Builder

Quote:
Maybe it's worse in the midwest. Have you considered vlogging? Might be a good show for clicks. I'd subscribe.
I have no idea what vlogging is. There's this guy on youtube that runs a"narrowboat" on all the canals in England. Turns out, there's quite a number of people who spend years of their lives living solely from these narrowboats.

Anyway, he always starts out each video with "welcome to my vlog". I just figured it was some form of deviancy, like flogging. Or maybe a swedish word hijacked by the brits that means bullsh!t.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: