Great Logitech Mouse - Technology - Contractor Talk

Great Logitech Mouse

Old 03-24-2017, 07:23 PM   #1
CAD Services

Trade: So done with this place...
Rewards Points: 144

Great Logitech Mouse

I've been using an apple Magic Mouse for most of my work over the last few years and the back of my hand is starting to get sore. I think its because I have to hold the sides of the mouse with thumb and RH ring finger, keeping my hand elevated off of the mouse so that I don't inadvertently make contact with the touch sensitive mouse surface.

I heard about the MX Master. It arrived yesterday and it's exactly what I need. And its on sale.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDJDeuJbiKc
The Following User Says Thank You to wallmaxx For This Useful Post:
Robie (03-24-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 5,854

Re: Great Logitech Mouse

Ive been using the M705 for 10 or so years , however long, and its great.

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 8,342

I use a Logitech 504 game mouse. I've had it for probably 6 or 7 years. Still going strong. I've been holding out on changing to a wireless because we've always had problems. I'll keep an eye on this one and see how it does in the short term. Looks like a contender.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old 03-24-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 7,315

M325 for me. Simple mouse. Battery lasts a year and a half. I never turn it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 03-24-2017, 11:34 PM   #5
CAD Services

This one comes with a USB dongle for RF connection or it uses Bluetooth 4.0 so older equipment won't recognize it but new equipment will.

And it has three different Bluetooth connection options so that you can pair it to three separate computers. I didn't know that and I just ordered my second one. I guess I should really read the instructions before I just jump on in and start using it.

Last edited by wallmaxx; 03-24-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #6
CAD Services

It works so well, now both computers have one
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wallmaxx For This Useful Post:
CharlieDelta (03-27-2017), Robie (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 7,315

You did the right thing. As far as I'm concerned each computer deserves it's own mouse. I'd hate to have to bring my mouse from one computer to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 03-26-2017, 06:00 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

I despise mice. I've used trackballs forever. Can't see the point of moving my hand around instead of just my thumb. Plus I can use a trackball anywhere, I can sit on my couch or my bed and use draw in sketchup (sketchup is impossible to use on a laptop track pad for anything other than viewing and even that is tough).
Old 03-27-2017, 03:03 AM   #9
CAD Services

I've tried a trackball.

I'd max out the mouse speed and still seemed to take too long to get where I needed.

In CAD apps, I tend to do a combination of max mouse speed setting (minimal travel) and scroll wheel zoom out then in. It works for me.

I also picked up a 36" x 18" x " neoprene mouse pad. Everything lives on this padded surface. It's smooth, mildly shock absorbing and ultra quiet. I used to have the Magic Mouse straight on the table surface. Lots of mouse repositioning clunking. Now I just hear the clicks.

The other nice thing is that the Logitech has two completely defined buttons (left and right) You know for sure that a right-click is a right-click.

They were much smarter than apple in another way. When the battery gets low, I can plug it into the supplied USB Type1 male to microUSB male cable and still use it while it recharges.

I was going to try a single mouse on two machines, but it paired to a newer Mac with BT 4.0 and doesn't recognize older Bluetooth standards. Then I tried the USB dongle for RF but no joy. It ends up that two separate mice work best for me. It's the two keyboards that always get me. I start typing something on CT only to see it in CA as an unknown command.

PS
Was working about 0025 PST today, and heard something in our pantry/Costco closet in my office.

Turns out a small gray mouse was helping himself to a brand new bag of Tostitos, some crackers, and some spiral dry noodles.

Just ordered some clear plastic storage bins on Amazon.
Took about 30 seconds of walking to the garage to figure out how best to catch him.

I finally got close enough to utilize negative air pressure (that's the new term all the home cleaning companies around here are using in place of VACUUM)

Tomorrow I will try to figure out how he got in here. The house in on a crawlspace foundation......so that's where I'll start.
Attached Thumbnails
Great Logitech Mouse-imaccap-2017-03-27-00.53.34.png  
The Following User Says Thank You to wallmaxx For This Useful Post:
hdavis (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:59 AM   #10
Pro

The trackball I use has well defined buttons as well, a good scroll wheel (essential for cad work) the center of the scroll clicks (essential for SU) and it has 2 buttons that can be programmed (I don't use the program buttons anymore).
Gotta have one for each machine, even have a spare.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:30 PM   #11
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

I am using a mouse now but have used a graphics tablet for the last dozen or more years. Once you get used to that a mouse is clunky. It's more ergonomic to hold a pen, the mouse position induces carpal tunnel problems.

Problem is when my Wacom pens finally went I discovered they were expensive as heck so bought a complete Huion tablet. It's great, as smooth as Wacom but the Linux driver only operates basic functions so I can't adjust the active area so it's too much arm movement.

So for now I use it for painting but the mouse for surfing and basic tasks.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #12
CAD Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoWA View Post
I am using a mouse now but have used a graphics tablet for the last dozen or more years. Once you get used to that a mouse is clunky. It's more ergonomic to hold a pen, the mouse position induces carpal tunnel problems.

Problem is when my Wacom pens finally went I discovered they were expensive as heck so bought a complete Huion tablet. It's great, as smooth as Wacom but the Linux driver only operates basic functions so I can't adjust the active area so it's too much arm movement.

So for now I use it for painting but the mouse for surfing and basic tasks.
I've been looking at the $500 Wacom tablet, but that's for photoshop etc. I don't know how that would work for CAD work.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #13
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallmaxx View Post
I've been looking at the $500 Wacom tablet, but that's for photoshop etc. I don't know how that would work for CAD work.
I don't know why it wouldn't. I mostly got into it for sign making software, spending many hours plugging away. It requires precision like cad work and is vector work. I didn't actually draw like with a pen or pencil, it was placing vector points (nodes) if I was creating something from scratch.

Even then there's a lot of grabbing the nodes to move them. It actually is cad work. I don't do it much now and the digital painting is for fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to RangoWA For This Useful Post:
wallmaxx (03-29-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 10:04 AM   #14
New Guy

Trade: ex-Contractor turned Web Developer
Rewards Points: 32

I second the trackball mouse. Logitech M570 I've been using for years and no wrist pain working 14+ hours a day 6 days a week. Plus you don't need a mousepad and can use it in the truck or on a couch.

My monitor is 27" and I scroll end to end moving my thumb about an inch, so the comment about speed must be settings. Once you get used to it it's much better. A friend of mine recently switched and wrist pain improved greatly.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoshOnTech For This Useful Post:
RobertCDF (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 10:47 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshOnTech View Post
I second the trackball mouse. Logitech M570 I've been using for years and no wrist pain working 14+ hours a day 6 days a week. Plus you don't need a mousepad and can use it in the truck or on a couch.

My monitor is 27" and I scroll end to end moving my thumb about an inch, so the comment about speed must be settings. Once you get used to it it's much better. A friend of mine recently switched and wrist pain improved greatly.
M570 is the same one I have, best trackball available.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #16
New Guy

Trade: Licensed General Contractor
Rewards Points: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCDF View Post
M570 is the same one I have, best trackball available.
Agree! Have had this one for the last couple of years. All the gunk needs to be cleaned up after a while but it has been doing me well. Great mouse , great battery life and decent price.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to JCD Constrn. For This Useful Post:
RobertCDF (08-18-2017)