Blueprint Software - Technology - Contractor Talk

Blueprint Software

Old 02-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #1

Trade: general construction
Rewards Points: 2

Blueprint Software

I am looking for software that allows me to look at a blueprint and click on an item such as the sink. That should then bring up the installation date, model, etc. It would be great if it would be able to also back out even further to a blueprint of the entire site where I could first click on the building to get a list of available blueprints for that building but that part of it can be accomplished by other means and is less important. Is there anything that you folks are using that would work well?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 290

Re: Blueprint Software

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for but it sounds like science fiction. Who put all that info into the blueprints in the first place? I'm usually begging the architects for basic dimensions so getting appliances and fixtures with embedded data sounds like a pipe dream.

Advertisement

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (02-16-2019), greg24k (02-16-2019), griz (02-15-2019), rselectric1 (02-15-2019), ScipioAfricanus (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 09:12 PM   #3
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,333

While I'm not aware of a specific application that does what you want, it wouldn't be all that tough to set it up in a database or spreadsheet for someone with the appropriate expertise. You will pay for that.

The second hurdle is, as Ethan says, entering all of that data. If you're up to that task, I'd recommend eschewing the pretty graphic interface and just using a more basic spreadsheet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019, 09:20 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 870

Not only do I agree with the above responses, someone would need to enter ALL that info CORRECTLY!

We can always dream though. Walt Disney did and somehow it worked out.
Calidecks (02-16-2019), greg24k (02-16-2019), griz (02-15-2019), Rio (02-15-2019), ScipioAfricanus (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 06:41 AM   #5
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 7,818

Name of the program you are looking for is called That Damned Contractor.

Has a few accuracy issues here and there, but its been around for awhile and many use it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
Rio (02-16-2019), ScipioAfricanus (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
While I'm not aware of a specific application that does what you want, it wouldn't be all that tough to set it up in a database or spreadsheet for someone with the appropriate expertise. You will pay for that.

The second hurdle is, as Ethan says, entering all of that data. If you're up to that task, I'd recommend eschewing the pretty graphic interface and just using a more basic spreadsheet.
It's called BIM software. Been a trend/ thing in Architectural software for 10 years+. Most visible is autodesk's integration in many of thier apps. The original autocad overlays, like architectural desktop, were nothing but databases integrated into the application. The BIM standards and intents is just the same, but on steroids.

Ain't no $69.95 homeowner-contractor version of all that chit.
DaVinciRemodel (02-16-2019), griz (02-17-2019), SmallTownGuy (02-16-2019), Tinstaafl (02-16-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #7

Trade: Construction Management
Rewards Points: 120

Texas Wax confirmed it - sounds like what you're referring to is a BIM model, and if you're not a tech savvy person it will be a challenge for you to learn and use. If I were to make a recommendation I'd consider using Auto Desks BIM360 platform, it will help you to implement something like what you're referring to.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to buildercn For This Useful Post:
Texas Wax (02-17-2019)