Best Software For Topcon GPS Modeling And Site Take-Offs? - Technology - Contractor Talk

Best Software For Topcon GPS Modeling And Site Take-Offs?

Old 03-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #1

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 6

Best Software For Topcon GPS Modeling And Site Take-Offs?

Hey everyone,
I work for a small dirt work company that uses Topcon GPS to aid in site development. Currently we use GPS to check elevations with a rover and extend that capability to machine control for automated grading. We outsource the building of our GPS models right now but are looking to bring that work in-house. I have done a good deal of research on potential programs ranging from Carlson Civil, MAGNET Office, Civil 3D, Agtek 4D and Trimble Business Center.

I spent the past month using MAGNET Office and it does not seem like the program is quite there yet in terms of being able to produce an accurate model in a short amount of time.

I have also spent the past week with Civil 3D trying to do the same process but it is much more dense of a program to learn.

On top of that, we do our take offs in house and are looking for a program that can cover both those sections. Does anyone have experience creating GPS models with these programs? Are there any suggestions for what direction we should go?

Any information is appreciated!

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2019, 04:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

Re: Best Software For Topcon GPS Modeling And Site Take-Offs?

Hi,
I work for a small dirt work company that uses Topcon GPS to aid in site development. Currently we use GPS to check elevations with a rover and extend that capability to machine control for automated grading. We outsource the building of our GPS models right now but are looking to bring that work in-house. I have done a good deal of research on potential programs ranging from Carlson Civil, MAGNET Office, Civil 3D, Agtek 4D and Trimble Business Center.

I spent the past month using MAGNET Office and it does not seem like the program is quite there yet in terms of being able to produce an accurate model in a short amount of time.

I have also spent the past week with Civil 3D trying to do the same process but it is much more dense of a program to learn.

On top of that, we do our take offs in house and are looking for a program that can cover both those sections. Does anyone have experience creating GPS models with these programs? Are there any suggestions for what direction we should go?

Any information is appreciated!

Thanks

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2

Re: Best Software For Topcon GPS Modeling And Site Take-Offs?

Hey guys,

AGTEK will support your Topcon, Leica, or Trimble GPS systems, allowing you to export your models to any of these programs. Agtek makes it possible to make these models precisely, while being extremely user friendly. To answer your question, Agtek can do both Takeoffs and Models allowing you to keep everything under the same roof.

I would be happy to set up an overview with you so you can see side by side comparisons. Follow the link and put in the comments section that you discussed Agtek on this forum.

http://www.agtek.com/contact.html

Hope this helps!