Anyone Ever Try Solid Builder By Digital Canal? - Technology - Contractor Talk

Anyone Ever Try Solid Builder By Digital Canal?

Old 11-27-2007, 07:07 AM   #1
J.T.

Trade: We are Florida State Certified General Contractors
Rewards Points: 75

Anyone Ever Try Solid Builder By Digital Canal?

I have had this program for a while and never got around to really working with it. I was interested in anyone who may have it or worked with it and what they think.

there site address is : digitalcanal.com
www.surfacesbyAladdin.com

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #2

Trade: Draftman
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Re: Anyone Ever Try Solid Builder By Digital Canal?

Did you ever get a reply? Has anyone got any comments on Solid Builder. I am looking into it as someone in N.Z asked me to do some work for them (they require 3D drawings) however they want it done in Solid Builder.
Is it good. Is there software out there that is easier to learn and has the same features?????

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
J.T.

Trade: We are Florida State Certified General Contractors
Rewards Points: 75

I never did get a reply but it is a powerful program....If you have any kind of cad drawing experience then it will be easy to use.
I mess around with it but really do not have the time to learn the program in its entirety. The cool thing about it is that it builds and frames the project just as you would build it and then spits out a material list for everything within the drawing. It has an auto build button that automatically builds all types of roofs,walls etc...
www.surfacesbyAladdin.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #4

Trade: contracting sales

I am also looking into this software. Did you ever get any response. I am currently looking into Builderscad and Solid Builder and I am trying to see which program would be best for me. If any one can help with any information, that would be great.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
CAD Services

Trade: So done with this place...
Rewards Points: 144

Steep learning curve. More for custom homes than panel facilities. I think they finally got the stack order to build order fixed so that you build the walls in the reverse order of the erection at the site.

Pretty good IMO...but I found that I was jumping to AutoCad and and WalPlus alot out of personal ease.

Tech support with Kristy was great.

Call Brian Pinch or the other Brian at DC.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:15 AM   #6

Trade: Remodeling

I own the previous version, not the latest. I did not feel that it was worth the high upgrade price at this time for my use (remodeling). It is an awesome program, just a pain to use compared to Softplan and others. It is very accurate in the framing layouts - I have cut roofs (rafters and sheathing) from the cut sheet it provides and they have been dead on. If they would make the program user friendly it would be the best program out. It is excellent in framing, but hard when just playing with what-if's.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #7

Trade: Self
Talking

I've used SB for about 2 years now and am more than excited about it still. I have found it to create the most accurate cut lists imaginable. Nowadays I simply pull the production drawing's cut lists and cut and label all lumber on site immediately after delivery inventory. From then on it is like putting lincoln-logs together. SB is just that accurate and complete. The learning curve was easy as I had no previous Autocad experience to serve to confuse me.

What I do now is use Chief Architect to draw the "Pretty" picture. It is the greatest at making a pretty 3D image. Once I get what I like in CA and satisfy the client, I jump to SB to do all the rest of the serious designing ... especially the framing. My wastes costs are negligible!

In conclusion if its a pretty picture you want then Chief Architecture is for you. If its a serious design and framing solution needed then, by all means, use Solidbuilder. If its landscaping and lighting then I think Punch Architecture does a fair job ... but CA is still better.

If you are already competent in Autocad then there is nothing that will ever please you ... save more Autocad. Autocad is for those that found time in their youth to spend slaving over a computer doing (and redoing ad infinitum) designs until they got it right. Once there they can really shine. Autocad is great in that you can design a new bolt as easily as a suspension bridge. It's just not "tuned" for house construction.

Hope this helps,
Dr Dan
Old 03-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #8

Trade: Remodeling

Drdan, you are right about the accuracy of the plans, cutlist, and materials. I use the same strategy as you in that I use Softplan and SolidBuilder. I do not see Softplan or Chief coming close in the accuracy and control over the framing details like SolidBuilder. I would like to see a Softplan / Chief drawing surface for the preliminary design process then be able to drill down into the current Solidbuilder detail and accuracy for the framing.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #9

Trade: Self

Yeah. That has also been my dream. I even discussed it with an SB rep but their response was less than encouraging. SB is now its own company and it has a corner on the framing market but seems to act snobbish about it. I have not made any effort to contact Chief on the same topic. My guess is they'd be equally snobbish with their hold on the designing market.
Later,
Dr Dan
Old 07-25-2008, 12:37 AM   #10

Trade: General Contractor

I think that is a great program for some people. It is precise, but to 80s for me.
I use chief architect for about 3 years. Last January I was trying to switch to SB and I bought 2 copies( 2seats). I did not install it until las month when I attended 3 day training.
I like the system, it is precise, great for the lumber yard where the do trusses and panelization company. Also for designers with more complex needs. But What I need is WYSIWYG so I can do representation to the client right on the spot. SB would not do that for me on easy way.
So, if you are on the market for solid builder 17.5 (current one) I have it for sale 2 copies-seats with the free upgrade to 18 when the release it. Also with the special agreement with SB, they will grant FREE license transfer Usualy $500-$800).
Total cost was over $3000 but I will consider all reasonable offer.
Any takers?

Zoran
Old 07-25-2008, 02:28 AM   #11
CAD Services

Trade: So done with this place...
Rewards Points: 144

I am using 17.5 right now for structural framing design. It does what I need dead on balls accurate. It doesn't render at all like softplan or chief...but so far that's something I don't need to do.

I like it.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:09 PM   #12

Trade: Do it Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoranvr View Post
I think that is a great program for some people. It is precise, but to 80s for me.
I use chief architect for about 3 years. Last January I was trying to switch to SB and I bought 2 copies( 2seats). I did not install it until las month when I attended 3 day training.
I like the system, it is precise, great for the lumber yard where the do trusses and panelization company. Also for designers with more complex needs. But What I need is WYSIWYG so I can do representation to the client right on the spot. SB would not do that for me on easy way.
So, if you are on the market for solid builder 17.5 (current one) I have it for sale 2 copies-seats with the free upgrade to 18 when the release it. Also with the special agreement with SB, they will grant FREE license transfer Usualy $500-$800).
Total cost was over $3000 but I will consider all reasonable offer.
Any takers?

Zoran
Hi, I would be interested in purchasing the software but I only need one copy....How low are you willing to go? I have been in the trades for several years but have started to do a lot on my own.

You can send me an email or reply here.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:28 AM   #13

Trade: Log home building, manufacturing, and sales.

I would be interested in talking about the Solid builder software that is for sale. Email or call me with your price.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #14
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 1,616

Remarks deleted.

Last edited by ScipioAfricanus; 10-15-2008 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Bad talking a good program
Old 09-22-2008, 12:23 AM   #15

Trade: General Contractor

Im Interesting in buying a copy of SolidBuilder for a good price, any offers please email me, or reply, thanks
Old 09-22-2008, 12:43 AM   #16
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 1,616

Remarks deleted.

Last edited by ScipioAfricanus; 10-15-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:51 AM   #17

Trade: Framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricConnell View Post
Hi, I would be interested in purchasing the software but I only need one copy....How low are you willing to go? I have been in the trades for several years but have started to do a lot on my own.

You can send me an email or reply here.
I have a copy of SolidBuilder for sale. You can contact Mark Peterson @ (435) 229-6643 or Mike @ 435-256-7205. It's a full licenced version. We will need to re-register it with Digital Canal (they already told me that is not a problem) I will accept any reasonable offer. - Thanks
Old 10-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js Cosnt View Post
Im Interesting in buying a copy of SolidBuilder for a good price, any offers please email me, or reply, thanks

I have a copy of SolidBuilder for sale. You can contact Mark Peterson @ (435) 229-6643 or Mike @ 435-256-7205. It's a full licenced version. We will need to re-register it with Digital Canal (they already told me that is not a problem) I will accept any reasonable offer. - Thanks
Old 10-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #19

Hi

I have a Full Version of SolidBuilder for sale. We bought it directly from Digital Canal and never really got around to using it.

You can contact Mark Peterson @ (435) 229-6643 or Mike @ 435-256-7205. It's a full licenced version with key. Whoever buys it will need to re-register it with Digital Canal (they already told me that is not a problem) I will accept any reasonable offer. - Thanks!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #20
Gino

Trade: Carpenter/Builder/General Contractor
Question

Hi Mark, Happy Holidays to everyone. Mark I was wondering if yo have sold the solidbuilder as yet. If you have could the new user give us some input as to how he feels / likes the program. I have been using softplan on and off and I want to make a final decision based on users input.

Thanks and all have a great week end!

Gino

Advertisement