Android-more Specifically, HTC Inspire - Technology - Contractor Talk

Android-more Specifically, HTC Inspire

Old 02-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
Crash Test Dummy

Trade: Landscaping
Rewards Points: 1,000

Android-more Specifically, HTC Inspire

Any experience with this particular phone?

I'm thinking that, or holding out for the next AT&T iPhone.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 12:51 AM   #2
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Android-more Specifically, HTC Inspire

If I'm not mistaken, the Inspire is basically the same as an Evo. Look up stats on a Sprint Evo. I can tell you I just talked to a buddy who changed from an Evo to an Epic and likes it better. The Epic is a Samsung Galaxy S phone. See the appropriate AT&T version to compare.

Note: Samsung Galaxy S phones are still on Android 2.1 while the HTC phones are upgraded to 2.2 already. 2.3 is the latest Android version but that is on very few phones if not only the Nexus (T-Mobile)

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Crash Test Dummy

No need to look things up now. If i want to know what this phone do, i just have to wait for the battery to charge. I checked out some samsungs. Thought about waiting for the Atrix, but for 49 bucks i couldn't pass on the Inspire.

Now I get to learn a whole new OS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Roofer with a vision :)

Trade: Cool Flat & Metal Roofing in MA
Rewards Points: 176

I just got one 2 days ago after my iphone's receiver stopped working.

I love the phone and many new features it opened up for me - like the ability to fully use google voice, and as soon as i root it - wifi tethering.

browser on this thing i don't like though... i tried stock, dolphin, skyfire, opera... they all suck.... it's not the browser but how android renders web pages... just something that will take me a while to get used to... i think iphone's browsers is way smoother ... especially how they handle zooming. Even with huge screen, it's easier to look at web sites on iphone vs inspire.

i will be looking for a browser i like for now.

also i have yet to find a keyboard i like - though inspire has a wider screen i miss the keys just the same - for some reason the keys placement does not take advantage of it's wider screen...

also the 4g speed - what a joke

unless u need a "4g sim card" which i don't think is the situation, speed is the same as on the iphone, even though boston and providence are some of the few places where 4g has been deployed fully

here are the screen shots:

inspire 4g

iphone speed:

tests were done side by side and at the same time - i just switched the sim from one phone to another...

Here is what I love about Inspire 4g:

it is the first android phone on which i feel no lag. The lag really annoyed me and made me think that all android are affected - the speed of the newer (2nd gen) 1ghz snapdragon is phenomenal.

Huge screen and great camera with dual led flash - much better than iphone's (3gs) camera. Now I can take roof pictures at high resolution and not carry the actual camera around.

@Angus - this phone is not an Evo - it is Desire HD from Europe with 4g radio and new name. The hardware is much updated. It is similar of course, but significantly better.

Battery life is weak at best - but it is expected with fast hardware, 4g and huge screen. I'm using advanced task killer and juice defender to stop unneeded apps from running and reduce power consumption. Let's hope it helps, but i'm not expecting a gain of more than 10% on battery life. Just keep a charger in your car.

Last edited by coolflatroof; 02-16-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
Crash Test Dummy

AT&T 4G is not true 4G. they reworked and retooled hardware and software in a way that is supposed to increase speeds, but 4G equipment will be put in palce eventually.

I've noticed it a little faster.

Although my iphone seems to have a better wifi receiver.

i haven't had a chance to fully play witht his thing yer. mayb e this weekend. i'm liking it so far.

My biggest prob is transition between OS. I think windows users will have an easier transition than apple users.

And i swear i about wore a hole in the screen where the home button would be on the iphone.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
Geek Carpenter

Trade: Union Carpenter
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolflatroof View Post
Here is what I love about Inspire 4g:

it is the first android phone on which i feel no lag. The lag really annoyed me and made me think that all android are affected - the speed of the newer (2nd gen) 1ghz snapdragon is phenomenal.

Huge screen and great camera with dual led flash - much better than iphone's (3gs) camera. Now I can take roof pictures at high resolution and not carry the actual camera around.

@Angus - this phone is not an Evo - it is Desire HD from Europe with 4g radio and new name. The hardware is much updated. It is similar of course, but significantly better.

Battery life is weak at best - but it is expected with fast hardware, 4g and huge screen. I'm using advanced task killer and juice defender to stop unneeded apps from running and reduce power consumption. Let's hope it helps, but i'm not expecting a gain of more than 10% on battery life. Just keep a charger in your car.
you should really stop using any task killer. android was built from the ground up as a multi tasking OS as such apps are cached to memory and will stay there, that doesn't mean they're running, using up cpu cycles or doing anything at all. it actually can kill your battery faster using such apps to auto kill processes. especially since froyo android handles memory and background processes quite efficiently on its own.

task killers really just use up power on their own killing tasks that aren't doing anything, and then many of those tasks will start right back up, or will be used again later and the os will expend more power loading them back into memory than it would if they had never been removed from memory to begin with. also remember that memory that isn't use, is generally wasted. caching is a big way to make your phone feel faster when performing your most common tasks.

android is designed to give up memory to the most relevant tasks and kill the least relevant automatically.

there's a lot of misinformation out there on task killers. i've heard of verizon and sprint installing them on peoples phones before they even get their phone, or suggesting them to customers as a fix all solution. the biggest problem is they all have very high ratings in the market.

i even ran one for a short time myself until i really researched the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainsawCharlie View Post
AT&T 4G is not true 4G. they reworked and retooled hardware and software in a way that is supposed to increase speeds, but 4G equipment will be put in palce eventually.

I've noticed it a little faster.

Although my iphone seems to have a better wifi receiver.

i haven't had a chance to fully play witht his thing yer. mayb e this weekend. i'm liking it so far.

My biggest prob is transition between OS. I think windows users will have an easier transition than apple users.

And i swear i about wore a hole in the screen where the home button would be on the iphone.
none of the current 4g technologies were technically 4g, i believe the people in charge of the standards have lowered the requirements for what is 4g though. 4g was supposed to be 100mbit down, most wired broadband services don't even meet such speeds.

either way the big 3-4 carriers are calling their next generation technologies 4g, and they are all at least theoretically faster so it is what it is i guess. expect LTE to be the main 4g tech that takes off though. wimax is about dead in the water due to funding and HSPA+ can only go so far as well. i know both sprint (wimax) and at&t (hspa+) have plans to implement LTE in the future. sounds good to me.

Advertisement

Last edited by Brandito; 02-20-2011 at 06:11 PM.