Are You On The Job Every Day? - Business - Contractor Talk

Are You On The Job Every Day?

Old 03-15-2015, 09:07 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Painter/Handyman
Rewards Points: 2,422

Are You On The Job Every Day?

For those that own their business, Do you work on the job site daily?

My thinking is that I could be more profitable if I stop working on the job site every day and start using that 8hrs a day to run my business, develop more leads, talk to potential customers, do bids etc.

The way things are now I work 8-10 hrs a day then work on bids and everything at night. So how do you do it?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #2
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

Re: Are You On The Job Every Day?

Project managers. God love them.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ohiohomedoctor For This Useful Post:
BamBamm5144 (03-15-2015), littlefred811 (03-17-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
Accidental Painter

Trade: Who's paying?
Rewards Points: 1,262

Sadly, the most profitable jobs are the ones I don't visit....

I have a guy do bathtubs. I make more off him than I do while I pant. When we "divide and conquer" is when I am most profitable.

Employees are the true way to make money in business. Most people just can't let go of the reigns.

I like working, and it's hard sometimes not to visit a jobsite. But the more I do it, the more I like it. It's like making money without actually working. At least that's what I tell myself when he does a tub. I will sleep in, and just remind myself I am making $250+ for sitting on the couch, ha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

Stopped by the job last week for maybe a total of two hours. My money is made by letting them work and me answering the phone, meeting with customers and signing contracts.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Painting and Decorating
Rewards Points: 258

Currently to small to not be on-site. If I'm not around my business partner feels like he has to call in help. So any day I'm not there it's at least another $200 off of the profit per day.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:29 PM   #6
House surgeon

Trade: building/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,078

Quote:
Originally Posted by summithomeinc View Post
For those that own their business, Do you work on the job site daily?

My thinking is that I could be more profitable if I stop working on the job site every day and start using that 8hrs a day to run my business, develop more leads, talk to potential customers, do bids etc.

The way things are now I work 8-10 hrs a day then work on bids and everything at night. So how do you do it?
I was pondering this today. I've done it in tge past, but getting way too busy. Its a tough choice for me.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:09 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 342

I don't own our business, Dad does, but I'll reply anyway.

He is rarely on the site I'm on and working. I've become his lead and PM largely thanks to a lot of guys on here and the great wisdom they share.

He is meeting with clients, lining up work, and doing punch list stuff. He always is in a truck with a bed full of tools so he also does small jobs that he doesn't like having the whole crew go do. We have 4 employee's including myself excluding him and do pretty much anything. We sub roofing, drywall (big jobs), masonry, footings, crawlspace mold remediation (cause I hate it...), and the mechanical's within reason.

So I guess we're a smallish company and we try and do most stuff that we can in house. But I do wonder if we wouldn't be better with someone other than him doing the punch stuff and small things. He does the same as you OP to the extent that he does a lot of his meeting with clients and punch stuff/small job work during the day, and then spends his evening estimating.

His time might be better spent just running the business and less site work but who knows...
Old 03-15-2015, 11:51 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpentry/Exterior Renovations
Rewards Points: 46

I can go months and not see my boss on a job site.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:05 AM   #9
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

I visit the sites 2-3 times a week, anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 hour visits. I run the business, sales calls, estimating, all the paperwork.

When I am on site it is to review and make suggestions, that's it.
1985gt (03-17-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 07:16 AM   #10
Livin the dream...

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 5,514

I'm a one man show so obviously always on site.

It seems like what I've read on CT over the years is that it takes a crew of 4+ before an owner can really take the bags off for the majority of his time. Could be wrong on that...
The Following User Says Thank You to Spencer For This Useful Post:
flashheatingand (03-22-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 07:34 AM   #11
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 5,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
I'm a one man show so obviously always on site.

It seems like what I've read on CT over the years is that it takes a crew of 4+ before an owner can really take the bags off for the majority of his time. Could be wrong on that...
I'd agree with that.

I'm on site most days.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:39 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 740

I also agree. I have myself, a carpenter and a laborer/apprentice. I'm always on site and don't see that changing for awhile. The problem with that is that I am too busy. Way too much evening work. I am considering at least having a set day in the week that I do estimates and meetings etc. I lose some jobs because I am slower at calling people back and getting estimates back so I know I need to make a change.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:40 AM   #13
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 5,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradingCon View Post
I also agree. I have myself, a carpenter and a laborer/apprentice. I'm always on site and don't see that changing for awhile. The problem with that is that I am too busy. Way too much evening work. I am considering at least having a set day in the week that I do estimates and meetings etc. I lose some jobs because I am slower at calling people back and getting estimates back so I know I need to make a change.
If you are more productive on the jobsite than in the office hire part time office staff.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Pro Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,766

My Goal this year is to hire a foreman to replace me and part time office staff.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #15
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 1,374

My two guys load up and go to job. I usually meet them there after the job is measured or the gutters are ripped down I'll cut up the old gutters and do the cleaning up and give a hand few hours.. If it's a larger job I'll help install most of the day.
I show up for every job that I sell no matter what to help out and if it's a normal size job for one of my regulars there is no need for me to be there since it only takes a couple hours without me anyway.

The guys aver 35 hours a week usually and i average about 15 a week helping out.

Last edited by NYgutterguy; 03-16-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #16
House surgeon

Trade: building/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,078

Sometimes making a change happens on its own. For me this particular month, jobs are running together due to weather. There are 5 of us starting today but was 2-3 up until today. And the stress is way upped as well
Old 03-16-2015, 06:22 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Know it all
Rewards Points: 2,054

I'm with Bamm. We shake the money tree for the greater good of all. When I'm there more than once a day I get discouraged of production as I know I can do it better and faster so once a day (mornings) and the rest if the day spend shaking the money tree.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roofcheck For This Useful Post:
BamBamm5144 (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 10:12 PM   #18
President

Trade: Residential Repaints
Rewards Points: 1,316

I found an employee that can make things happen on my jobs.. He has a good feel of my expectations and I feel comfortable leaving him on the job and to make decisions... However unlike most people I include my employees on problems/solutions... I want their input on a given problem... this serves 2 purposes, it allows me to gauge how they would handle a situation and gives them insight onto my thought process.

I know when I leave a job any problem that arises will be handled... I work every job... the HO knows that, and sees me there... They also know that my guy, has the authority to make things happen in a positive way.. If it means painting the other half of that door to make them happy by all means...

I am on every job, always, however I am a 2 man crew so, me being there is kind of a no brainer... However I have been known to tackle those small jobs along the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to CarrPainting For This Useful Post:
maxwage (04-12-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 05:10 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Slate& Tile Roofing/Exterior Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,848

I am on the job every day---for some period of time.
As a practical matter, I am there in more of an "Advise and consent role", as I have essentially put down the tools.

typically, I show up at the start, we discuss the game plan for the day. I usually help load/unload---and after work is under way I leave to quote jobs, go to the bank, pick up materials, track down obsolete tile we need for up coming projects....
we cover 5 counties so I try to schedule writing proposals for when we will be workin in the neighborhood.

I will usually stop back in several times in the day-and heck---sometimes they even call me to come back and look at something- but for the most part they don't need me there.....
2 employees--- both relatives.---currently looking for a 3rd employee in an entry level capacity.

Stephen
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen H For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:21 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,136

I work 8 hrs on the job and about 4 hours off the job. Saturday and Sunday only 3 - 4 hours each day.
Right now, I have one employee and a handful of different sub-contractors.

I have tried to run a bigger crew, but I haven't found the right guys (or gal) to fit in with what I like to see. Last year at this time, I had 3 full time guys. I felt like I spent so much time keeping them busy. I also went back on a few jobs, tore out what they did, and re-did the work. My son tells me I'm picky. Probably so, but that's why I get hired. Or I think that's the reason.

If I could find one good guy, I would definitely reduce my time on the job. Spend more time on paperwork.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post: