Working With Designer - Business - Contractor Talk

Working With Designer

Old 07-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #1
President/CEO

Trade: Losing faith in humanity, one human at a time
Rewards Points: 16

Working With Designer

Hello everybody,

Just signed up and did my intro post, stoked to be finally posting instead of just lurking around!

I have recently started working with a designer that has thrown me a couple nice jobs. She is cool and comes up with nice designs that I enjoy building.

Part of the deal is that she handles the cabinet ordering, delivery, installation, etc.

Currently in the middle of a kitchen where the designer and the cabinet builder got into it about materials, and it ended pretty badly.

I had to pull off the job for about a month while she and the cab guy worked it out, needless to say it wrecked my schedule(s)...

Now I'm back in and installing the cabinets (as a result of the fallout between designer and cabinet guy). It looks like two base cabs will have to be rebuilt (from a different shop the designer is eyeing), and the job will be delayed again.

I'm obviously eating sh!t in all this, but I don't think I have any recourse. The poor client has nothing to do with it, and I don't really want to jump into the fray with the cab guy and designer.

I feel like I just need to keep my head down, try to salvage the situation however I can, finish up whenever that will be, and get the hell outta there.

What do you guys think? I have wasted a lot of time and I'm taking a hit in production on other jobs too. This post is probably more of a rant than anything else...

What can I do to prevent this in the future (besides not taking referrals from that designer)?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by NosePick_Nick; 07-12-2015 at 05:45 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 4,976

Re: Working With Designer

Handle all construction related details and ordering yourself. The contractor should be checking the cabinet guys elevations, specs and details, not a designer imo.

If the designer wants a commission from her cabinet guy or to mark it up, and your ok with letting her/him be that involved ( i would not be) just tell her/him you need final call on those items and you handle the schedule and quality control items, so have your cabinet guy call me and allow me to handle that.

Advertisement

John
Old 07-12-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 4,976

Just my personal view, but i wouldnt let a designer or architect pick my subs.

Are you an installer or the GC?

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #4
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

We did a major reno last winter and at the last minute the client hired a designer and she took over the cabinets and countertops...not a problem...here is my schedule, if you miss it, I leave and I'll let you know when I can return.

Every designer I know gets a return from cabinet guys...you figure out why she wants a particular guy
Jaws (07-12-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 06:26 PM   #5
President/CEO

Thanks for the reply.

I'm the GC. Cabinet guy was originally going to install, per contract with designer.

You're right, I should have looked at and approved the specs. If I come across this again, I will definitely work it that way.

Also, the designer is not picking my subs (I would not allow that either). She sold the cabs to the homeowner before I was part of the job, and arranged for installation as part of their agreement. I wasn't particularly excited about that, and have never heard of that arrangement before, but didn't really mind having one less thing on my plate...
The Following User Says Thank You to NosePick_Nick For This Useful Post:
Jaws (07-12-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 06:40 PM   #6
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

You should not have installed that kitchen...you own it now, every problem, tweak, adjustment, etc...and your only getting an install fee on it.

It's not the homeowners fault, and up until you installed the first cabinet it wasn't yours either...you made it your problem.
hdavis (07-12-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #7
President/CEO

I agree, fully.

One more lesson in the school of hard knocks... Someday soon I should be getting pretty salty
Old 07-12-2015, 07:05 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: home improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 1,626

Yep, one human at a time.....
Old 07-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #9
President/CEO

Got a two-fer on this one
Old 07-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Johnson View Post
We did a major reno last winter and at the last minute the client hired a designer and she took over the cabinets and countertops...not a problem...here is my schedule, if you miss it, I leave and I'll let you know when I can return.
Rescheduling due to delays like that is the right way to go, IMO.

Advertisement