Will You Be My Facebook Friend? - Business - Contractor Talk

Will You Be My Facebook Friend?

Old 12-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 525

Will You Be My Facebook Friend?

So here is my latest business idea. I often have customers ask me if I know an electrician or an exterminator or an appliance repair guy or whatever. At first, I spent a lot of time trying to find these various contractors in the hope that I could send them work in the future. The problem that I ran into is that if I only send somebody 2 or 3 jobs a year, I'm lucky if he even remembers me. It's kind of embarrassing if I tell a customer about my good plumbing buddy Steve and Steve has no clue who I am.

I gave up for awhile. If somebody asked me if I know a tree guy, I just shrugged my shoulders.

But then it occurred to me. What about Facebook? I could tell you what some random girl I went to high school with 20 years ago is making for dinner. If I could make a few friends with contractors on Facebook, we could kind of keep in touch just by doing what we are doing already.

I'm not talking about carefully curated business pages. I'm talking about regular personal Facebook friends. It wouldn't matter if we hadn't spoken in 3 years. I'd know about your hunting trip. You'd know about my car accident. And the name recognition would be there.

Maybe we'll hit it off and become best buddies. Maybe you'll decide I'm a real jerk and unfriend me. Nothing to lose. I'm going to give it a shot.

So, if you:
1) Live in the area of Nutley, NJ
2) Are a plumber/electrician/exterminator/arborist/appliance repair guy/mover/scrapper/cleaning lady/furnace guy/mason/whatever
3) Use Facebook regularly

Will you be my friend?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,788

Re: Will You Be My Facebook Friend?

I think it is a good concept. In the past I found myself going out of my way to refer a name to a customer in the hope that it may be returned likewise and genuinely wanting to help out my customer. I now find that I only refer just a few people who I actually know. If someone needs an electrician then I know exactly who to refer them too, same for a handyman or a roofer etc and know that they will be treated right by that contractor because I personally know them. If I do not know who to recommend then I just say so.

I can think of a situation where I suggested someone and things didn't go so well for the customer.

So I think you are on to a good use of FB but be careful who you recommend.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
blacktop (12-03-2014), Rio (12-03-2014)
Old 12-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
Knucklehead in charge

Trade: Interior Renovations
Rewards Points: 396

Bad idea.

You can not just refer people just to refer people. You need to have a close working relationship with them and they must have very similar business values, practices and same level of professionalism. Your referral circle should be a tight group that will come through and not embarrass you.

Otherwise you're better off not referring anybody.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Knucklehead For This Useful Post:
Rio (12-03-2014), tedanderson (12-11-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Know it all
Rewards Points: 2,054

Unless the whole job has nothing to do with my trade- and it probably wouldn't cause I'm a know it all- I tend to GC all I can, after all it's my good name and marketing that got me there.

Secondly- I'd be very careful recommending someone into someone elses home if I didn't know them and want them in my own home.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #5
Head Light Bulb Changer

Trade: Renovation/Home Repair
Rewards Points: 216

I will not refer/recommend anybody I haven't known or worked with for at least 3-4 years. If the chit hits the fan, it reflects on me because I'm the one who gave the recommendation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 66 Shelby For This Useful Post:
blacktop (12-03-2014), Jaws (12-09-2014)
Old 12-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
Drywall Slave

Trade: drywall contractor
Rewards Points: 214

I was going to say the same thing Shelby .
Old 12-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 525

If you have a network of contractors who you've worked with for years, yeah. No duh. Refer them. I don't have that. I have to build that up.

Since I'm a handyman, my referral requests all tend to be "handymanish". Add an outlet for a TV. Repoint a chimney. Move an elliptical machine. Catch an opossum. Fix a dishwasher seal. It's routine stuff, but my customers just need a name.

I don't really see these doomsday scenarios you guys are imagining. There's no guarantee that somebody won't have a bad experience. That's always true. You have to do you best to minimize that. Ask around. Check online reviews. Check the BBB. Check the license out. Use common sense. I can still do all that stuff. Facebook is just one more way to meet and qualify other contractors and to foster those relationships.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by instock View Post
I don't really see these doomsday scenarios you guys are imagining. There's no guarantee that somebody won't have a bad experience. That's always true. You have to do you best to minimize that. Ask around. Check online reviews. Check the BBB. Check the license out. Use common sense. I can still do all that stuff. Facebook is just one more way to meet and qualify other contractors and to foster those relationships.
It's a bit different for establish companies. This company has been around for 30 plus years, I've been here for 14 or so of that. I better be sure to refer the right contractor for that job, if not it makes us look like we don't know what we are doing. I have like 5 plumbers, 3 electricians, 2 shinglers, and a handful of other trades I feel confident in referring to someone else.

I also look at it like this, who would I allow in my house to do work? For instance I have a plumber, probably one of the best commercial plumbers around, I would never recommend him to a homeowner. He just doesn't mesh well with homeowners, but if I need commercial drain piping installed, he is my first call.

So it's not only about who's good its about who can do what and work well with so and so.

The BBB, and online reviews are and can be skewed and bought, and I've seen some pretty crappy licensed ___________ fill in the blank.

It's hard starting out, but you have to meet the people, and their workers to know what they are really like. It takes a bit of time. The facebook thing might be a good start but I wouldn't randomly willy nilly recommend people.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:29 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Home Remodels
Rewards Points: 851

"Hey you know of a good place to grab a burger around here?"
....."Yeah Barneys Big Buns down the road"
"Thanks, what's good there that you recommend?"
...... "Don't know never ate there but I drive by alot"
"I appreciate you letting me know you can't be trusted"

Never attach your name to someones else's unless your are satisfied with their reputation and customer interaction.

If they wanted just anyone they would look on Facebook themselves. If they wanted reassurance from a person they trust they ask me. I don't drive my customers over that cliff unless I know you, or I'm doing your sister
Old 12-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,402

Comment left on my page:

Jerri Ann Sanner Throckmorton
December 4 at 5:16pm ·

Really makes my day when someone stops by to look at the new house and hear them say that it is being built so well. This person has been going around looking at new construction and that mine is one of the best built. Thanks Jay Ladwig (Ladwig Construction), so glad we went with your company!!!!

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
Okiecontractor (12-10-2014), Sir Mixalot (12-11-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 11:50 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

Someone called me ignorant a few days ago. I won't mention any names, but he was correct when it comes to all this new technology. This facebook thing sounds really gay. I can't imagine men facebooking each other to be friends. That raises the hair on the back of my neck.

Personally, I have better things to be doing that are more effective for generating business leads.

Since I was called ignorant a few days ago (I'm only joking about it) I spent $86 today and purchased three books about social media and internet advertising. Maybe, in a few days I will be all over facebook and rolling in dough.

FACEBOOK FRAUD - DOES FACEBOOK REALLY WORK?

http://www.jonloomer.com/2014/02/11/...raud-response/

Last edited by pcplumber; 12-11-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:19 AM   #12
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

Quote:
Originally Posted by instock View Post
It's kind of embarrassing if I tell a customer about my good plumbing buddy Steve and Steve has no clue who I am.
That's why you should be HONEST in these kinds of situations. Many times I'll give a cold referral where I will tell my client, "I've never worked directly with the guy but I always see him in passing."

Faux familiarity is worse than no familiarity at all.

The other thing I think of is that a FB friend is a little bit different from a business relationship. Sure, I'll know how many puppies your black lab had in the last 2 years and you'll know about the BBQ pit that I dug into my back yard but the context of the relationship will be much different. When you walk on one of my old job sites and the customer mentions "Ted" you'll be standing there like deer in the headlights saying, "Ted? Ted who?"
Old 12-11-2014, 07:23 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,402

IMO, facebook is another free resource that search engines find. It is not the news feed as much as someone in my area will search "metal buildings", "ICF", insulated concrete, certified home builder, or general contractor, and the FB result will be page one. I get a call or 2 every week, and lots of my clients are also friends and friended through facebook.

Does not have anything to do with being "gay" and frankly, that is pretty lame as a response to something many people use as a tool, or to keep up with friends and family. No one is forced, and some do not like it, but it is like a lot of things, experiences vary, and everyone has an opinion.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 12-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post
IMO, facebook is another free resource that search engines find. It is not the news feed as much as someone in my area will search "metal buildings", "ICF", insulated concrete, certified home builder, or general contractor, and the FB result will be page one. I get a call or 2 every week, and lots of my clients are also friends and friended through facebook.

Does not have anything to do with being "gay" and frankly, that is pretty lame as a response to something many people use as a tool, or to keep up with friends and family. No one is forced, and some do not like it, but it is like a lot of things, experiences vary, and everyone has an opinion.
I have to laugh inside just a little bit. The title of this thread is, "Will you be my facebook friend?" I knew what the thread was about before I opened in, but the connotation is similar to, "Will you be my valentine? in the sense that I can't see one man asking another to be a friend. My second thought is; what type of business man has the free time to communicate with another man and try to be friendly for the sake of networking. While I have strong beliefs that the most successful business men are great at networking, I can't see one man looking for another man to be his friend for the sake of networking and this is because you meet the people you network with in a natural way. I have a price book in my office and in every vehicle. In my price book is a list of all the contractors and vendors I recommend. For you high tech people, you put your list of contacts in your iphones and note pads or whatever you call them. I don't see the need for another method for having a list of the vendors I recommend.

I've been watching and reading about facebook since its inception and facebook is one of those things nobody has been able to convince me that it is valuable as social media advertising. Especially, when considering the time it takes vs. other advertising media that is easier to manage and more-effective. I have many more very bad things to say regarding my personal opinions about facebook and people, but I',m sure my opinions will create a fire storm.

The difference between myself and a high percent of other people is; I write about facts I will and can back up with proof in the form of actual receipts and records. The problem I see on forums is I read about results, academics and never see the actual proof. In essence, I don't believe most things that I read. There is an old saying that says,

"Don't believe anything you hear and only 2% of what you actually see."

I am still waiting for the day when someone makes a statement regarding how effective pay-per-click, websites and facebook is and then those statements are backed up with proof in the form of hard numbers that prove that the return-on-investment was as good as stated. Until then, everything is either b.s. or only theories and academics.

I am a member in a sales forum and the members in that forum are beat to death if they don't have some type of conclusive evidence to back up their statements. In a way, the way the forum is moderated the members are more cautious regarding making wild claims. People should not say that social media and facebook is giving a terrific ROI just because everyone else is saying the same thing and not unless you are positive and can provide proof if you had to.

Every few days, I look for articles on the internet regarding whether or not internet advertising works and:

the only articles that state that internet advertising works in the articles written by the companies involved in selling the services and

virtually all the other articles state that facebook advertising claims are bloated with lies, hype and b.s..

Advertisement

Last edited by pcplumber; 12-11-2014 at 01:27 PM.