Who Uses Insurance Appraisal To Resolve Claims Disputed - Business - Contractor Talk

Who Uses Insurance Appraisal To Resolve Claims Disputed

Old 07-17-2019, 10:14 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,062

For Chicago Area And Nearby Contractors Etc..........
Reserve Your Free Seat Now

Dear Concerned Colleagues,

FOR WHO? Contractors And Public Or Independent Adjusters

***** August 15th, 2019: Free AOB & Appraisal Seminar, Both Sides Perspectives Will Be Discussed, Along With Complimentary Appetizers Included And Refreshments Available

You Have Been Selected To Attend This Free Informative Topical Presentation Regarding Assignments Of Claims/Benefits And Nuances Of Insurance Appraisals.
Please Respond To The Invite For A Head Count. All Owners And Sales Staff Are Encouraged To Come Along. This Will Be A Great Networking Opportunity For All.

***** Reserve Your Seat Today. Seating Is Limited.
We Hope To See You There!!!

WHERE?
Westwood Tavern and Tap Banquet Room
1385 North Meacham Road
Schaumburg, IL 60173

***** There is a Free 2-3 hour seminar coming up that I am helping with the Presentation of on August 15th in Schaumburg, IL

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/insuran...chautocomplete

Primary Sponsor:
Appraisal And Umpire Association
NCCA, National Contracting & Claims Association

A Blended Collaborative Unification Empowered To Seek A Meeting Of The Minds, Where Everyone Has A Voice At The Table

Bridging The Gap between Contractors, Carriers And Public Adjusters

A balanced and full perspective insight into the Appraisal Process from inside the Claims Department

Neal McLoughlin
Insider Familiarity with Insurance Carrier Claims Management
Founder of a leading State Independent Insurance Adjusters Association

Edward Fako
Contracting since 1978 and proficient with Insurance Adjusting and Policy Training, well known for openly helping and sharing his 4 decades of experience

There has been much interest in workarounds so Contractors do not violate "UPPA Laws" (Unauthorized Practice of Public Adjusting), and in States that allow it, by either becoming a Licensed Public Adjuster or learning how to utilize an "Assignment Of Claim" has proven successful.

We will be taking this topic under review for an upcoming Free Mini-Seminar or Symposium in one month in the Chicago Region.

I have recruited someone with an Insurance Carriers Claims Management background to provide a balanced perspective.

Even in Florida, where AOB's/AOC's have been castrated, there is a Viable Workaround that has been found to be Legally Sound.

We Can Learn Solutions!!!

Sincerely,

Your Friend In Arms.....

Ed Fako
[email protected]

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2019, 10:16 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Who Uses Insurance Appraisal To Resolve Claims Disputed

August 15th, 2019: Free AOB & Appraisal Seminar, Both Sides Perspectives Will Be Discussed, Along With Complimentary Appetizers Included And Refreshments Available

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #3
Pro

I've been doing this for a long time, and it was brought up to me that the majority of Contractors have very little procedural understanding of using the Insurance Appraisal Clause that is contained in nearly Every Single Home Owners Insurance Policy.

Does anybody have and questions about how to invite a Demand For Appraisal or how the Two Appraisers and their agreed upon Umpire attempt to resolve their issues with any existing Claims?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #4
Pro

This is the most common version found in most standard Fire Insurance Policies.

It is derived from the New York Standard 165 Line Fire Insurance Policy from 1943 and is still widely accepted in a TS original verbiage, with some common minor verbiage tweaks between words such as; Impartial, Independent and Disinterested, which all attempt to create an Unbiased Tripartite Appraisal Panel.

The primary exception come from State Farm, Farmers and Lloyd's Of London Policies as a generality.

Here is language which many policies have used as a standard appraisal clause:

Appraisal

If we and you disagree on the value of the property or the amount of the "loss," either may make written demand for an appraisal of the "loss." In this event, each party will select a competent and impartial appraiser. You and we must notify the other of the appraiser selected within twenty days of the written demand for appraisal. The two appraisers will select an umpire.

If the appraisers do not agree on the selection of an umpire within 15 days, they must request selection of an umpire by a judge of a court having jurisdiction. The appraisers will state separately the value of the property and the amount of the "loss." If they fail to agree, they will submit their differences to the umpire. A decision agreed to by any two will be the appraised value of the property or amount of "loss." If you make a written demand for an appraisal of the "loss," each party will:

a. Pay its chosen appraiser; and
b. Bear the other expenses of the appraisal and umpire equally.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:04 PM   #5
Pro

I've been doing this for a long time, and it was brought up to me that the majority of Contractors have very little procedural understanding of using the Insurance Appraisal Clause that is contained in nearly Every Single Home Owners Insurance Policy.

Does anybody have and questions about how to invite a Demand For Appraisal or how the Two Appraisers and their agreed upon Umpire attempt to resolve their issues with any existing Claims?
Old 07-19-2019, 10:06 PM   #6
Pro

SEARCH IN THE CURRENT
AND SHOW ME
Ed the Roofer
Pro
Join: Dec 2006
NW Suburbs of Chicago

12 minutes ago #1

Ed the Roofer
Pro
Join: Dec 2006
NW Suburbs of Chicago

3 minutes ago #2
This is the most common version found in most standard Fire Insurance Policies.

It is derived from the New York Standard 165 Line Fire Insurance Policy from 1943 and is still widely accepted in a TS original verbiage, with some common minor verbiage tweaks between words such as; Impartial, Independent and Disinterested, which all attempt to create an Unbiased Tripartite Appraisal Panel.

The primary exception come from State Farm, Farmers and Lloyd's Of London Policies as a generality.

Here is language which many policies have used as a standard appraisal clause:

Appraisal

If we and you disagree on the value of the property or the amount of the "loss," either may make written demand for an appraisal of the "loss." In this event, each party will select a competent and impartial appraiser. You and we must notify the other of the appraiser selected within twenty days of the written demand for appraisal. The two appraisers will select an umpire.

If the appraisers do not agree on the selection of an umpire within 15 days, they must request selection of an umpire by a judge of a court having jurisdiction. The appraisers will state separately the value of the property and the amount of the "loss." If they fail to agree, they will submit their differences to the umpire. A decision agreed to by any two will be the appraised value of the property or amount of "loss." If you make a written demand for an appraisal of the "loss," each party will:

a. Pay its chosen appraiser; and
b. Bear the other expenses of the appraisal and umpire equally.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:19 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,278

Im an appraiser. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's not. But I've never seen it not be beneficial to the customer. At the very least they will get back the money spent for the appraiser and umpire. That's kind of the unspoken rule of thumb around here anyway.

Most contractors I know are aware of the practice. The homeowners are the uninformed ones.

Most important factor in appraisals is vetting the umpires. The appraisers can be as crooked as the rest of the contractors and insurance carriers, but the umpires I've found to be a lot more honorable.

Would you agree with that in your experience?
Old 07-22-2019, 05:52 PM   #8
Pro

The thing that sucks about appraisals is that there is no regulations, no real rules or time constraints. And the contractor and homeowner
give up all power and leave everything in the hands of the appraisers. So if you get a crappy appraiser and they don't know their stuff or worse just won't work on your claim, it can drag on for years. (That's rare but it happens)

The appraisers are supposed to be unbiased, but they typically lean towards the favor of the party that hires them. Personally, if I don't feel like the customer has a claim, I just tell them to find another appraiser.

I have had contractors and PAs put me on claims sight unseen, and I've walked on the roof with the other appraiser and found absolutely zero damage. That pisses me off bad. Ill call the PA and the contractor right then and there and make them explain to me why that claim is in appraisal. If they can't, I won't take their claims anymore. Some contractors abuse the clause. Then I have to go explain to the homeowner why they wasted their money. They either get pissed at me, the carrier or the contractor ...but no matter what, we all look like incompetent untrustworthy asshats. It's best to just call it like you see it. No matter what the homeowner claims or the contractor says.. Your appraiser should have enough experience to know what damage was caused by what and when. You don't get baseball sized hail hits on your gutters with pea sized oxidation marks on the turbines.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:20 PM   #9
Pro

I have determined that most Contractors online in any of various Forums or FB Groups are keenly aware of the process, but in my opinion, that still leaves 95% out in the cold, not even being aware of it.

I've been doing Appraisals and Arbitration since 1998, but it was on isolated claims disputes. I've noticed an intense increase in using the Appraisal Process though, quite likely due to the exponential methods used to Minimize or Deny Legitimate Claims.

I've had a couple of Contractors pull the same crud on me too, regarding there being no legitimate damages to be found, so those wind up being just one time Clients.

A long term PA acquaintance of mine, who started the Illinois PA Association and myself are hosting a Free 2 Hour Symposium in the Chicago Area on August 15th, hopefully targeting the Contractors most unfamiliar with the advantages of the process.

I can honestly say, regardless of the Gamesmanship involved, still to this date, there has not been one Appraisal taken on that hasn't won enough additional proceeds to ever being considered a failure.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:29 PM   #10
Pro

I agree totally with that.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
Pro

Free Mini-Seminar About Insurance Appraisal And Assignment Of Benefits On August 15th, 2019, from 7:00-9:00 PM In Schaumburg IL

Collaborate, Not Compete

TOPIC: Basics Of Effectively Using The Insurance Appraisal Process And Assignment Of Benefits To Gain Fair Outcomes And The Obstacles Encountered, For Your Hard Earned Contracting Efforts

FOR: Midwest Region And Chicago Area, Including Indiana And Wisconsin Roofing, & Resiration Contractors And Public Insurance Adjusters.....

***Reserve Your Free Seat Now***

***** August 15th, 2019: Free AOB & Appraisal Seminar, Carrier & Contractor Perspectives Will Be Discussed. Complimentary Appetizers And Refreshments Will Be Available

You Have Been Invited To Attend This Free Informative Topical Presentation Regarding Assignments Of Claims/Benefits And Nuances Of Insurance Appraisals.

Please Respond To The Invite For A Head Count. All Owners And Sales Staff Are Encouraged To Come Along. This Will Be A Great Networking Opportunity For All.

WHERE?
1385 North Meacham Road
Schaumburg, IL 60173

There is a Free 2 hour seminar with follow up networking afterwards, coming for a Free Mini-Seminar on August 15th in Schaumburg, IL

Primary Sponsor:

Blending Collaborative Unification Efforts To Empower Insurance Claim Advocates To Seek A Meeting Of The Minds, Where Everyone Has A Voice At The Table To Create Winning Results

This will be a balanced and full perspective insight into the Appraisal Process from inside the Insurance Claims Department and the Policy Holders Positions

BONUS TOPIC:. AOB, Assignments Of Benefits. What is it and how can you utilize it to avoid violating UPPA Unlicensed Practice of Public Adjusting Laws in Illinois

Free Sample Documents For:
Demand For Appraisal and Assignments Of Benefits Will Be Provided To All Attendees

Together, We Are Better By Collaborating Than Competing..... That Is The Solution!!!
Old 07-28-2019, 11:44 AM   #12
Pro

Free Mini-Seminar About Insurance Appraisal And Assignment Of Benefits On August 15th, 2019, from 7:00-9:00 PM In Schaumburg IL

Collaborate, Not Compete

TOPIC: Basics Of Effectively Using The Insurance Appraisal Process And Assignment Of Benefits To Gain Fair Outcomes And The Obstacles Encountered, For Your Hard Earned Contracting Efforts

FOR: Midwest Region And Chicago Area, Including Indiana And Wisconsin Roofing, & Resiration Contractors And Public Insurance Adjusters.....

***Reserve Your Free Seat Now***

***** August 15th, 2019: Free AOB & Appraisal Seminar, Carrier & Contractor Perspectives Will Be Discussed. Complimentary Appetizers And Refreshments Will Be Available

You Have Been Invited To Attend This Free Informative Topical Presentation Regarding Assignments Of Claims/Benefits And Nuances Of Insurance Appraisals.

WHERE?
1385 North Meacham Road
Schaumburg, IL 60173

There is a Free 2 hour seminar with follow up networking afterwards, coming for a Free Mini-Seminar on August 15th in Schaumburg, IL

Primary Sponsor:

Blending Collaborative Unification Efforts To Empower Insurance Claim Advocates To Seek A Meeting Of The Minds, Where Everyone Has A Voice At The Table To Create Winning Results

This will be a balanced and full perspective insight into the Appraisal Process from inside the Insurance Claims Department and the Policy Holders Positions

BONUS TOPIC:. AOB, Assignments Of Benefits. What is it and how can you utilize it to avoid violating UPPA Unlicensed Practice of Public Adjusting Laws in Illinois

Free Sample Documents For:
Demand For Appraisal and Assignments Of Benefits Will Be Provided To All Attendees

Together, We Are Better By Collaborating Than Competing..... That Is The Solution!!!
Old 07-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #13
Pro

Can u live streAm this meeting?
Old 07-28-2019, 07:44 PM   #14
Pro

One Lady Insurance Adjuster Trainer I am Dear Friends with, named Angela Henderson of Learn To Adjust, suggested that also, and was going to attend to facilitate it in her Zoom Account, but she just got assigned to Delaware.

I will check in with my Partner because he is more techie oriented than I am and I'll let you know.

Maybe I can at minimum, have my Son Video Record the Session, but imy unsure how many Gigs a 2 Hour Session will chew up. I have a 128 GB Chip in my camera
Old 08-03-2019, 12:44 AM   #15
Pro

Yikes.. I'm prob not the person to help you figure that out but, I know there's some video conference apps online.. let me search around and see how they work..
Old 08-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #16

Trade: Electrical Mechanical
Rewards Points: 40

Get someone off CL's to record it.

You could do it as snapchat or one of those other social platforms possibly.

But make sure you announce at the seminar that it is being recorded for reference as the land of Lincoln is two party consent. CYA.

If you have good audio, you can always put it on you tube and have the slides or pics as an added visual.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolutionsbySull View Post
Get someone off CL's to record it.

You could do it as snapchat or one of those other social platforms possibly.

But make sure you announce at the seminar that it is being recorded for reference as the land of Lincoln is two party consent. CYA.

If you have good audio, you can always put it on you tube and have the slides or pics as an added visual.
Precisely what we are going to do. Maybe bits and pieces will Stream Live, but we will still have the entire event recorded professionally anyways.

We are going to have 2 major Industry Legal Legends Skype in for a brief comment each too.

Think of the most prolific Nationally known Policy Holder Advocate Attorney and his Counterpart from the Insurance Carrier Industry side.

Ed

Advertisement