When Someone Wants You To Finish Another Contractors Work, AND Do It Cheap *&^% - Business - Contractor Talk

When Someone Wants You To Finish Another Contractors Work, AND Do It Cheap *&^%

Old 06-24-2019, 10:48 PM   #1

Trade: Handyman carpenter
Rewards Points: 120

When Someone Wants You To Finish Another Contractors Work, AND Do It Cheap *&^%

I got a call from a guy, he had got my name from someone else. The someone is a friend and that's it, I've never worked for her (the friend).

The guy said that she said Im the most wonderful handyman ever? (I used to sleep with her

He's having some renovations done, but the contractor is leaving the job on Friday to start a new contract as by the guy on the phones own admission he dragged his heels on making decisions and he's run out of time.

Now he'd like me to go in and finish it off... so to stall things I said to send me a scope of the work he'd like done. It was Friday and I'd just got home and had a semi nap on the front lawn.

He had a date in mind to do the work.

So he sent me the email with the work to be done..., hang some doors, fix some baseboards, install some light fixtures, do some paint touch ups, lay down some floor coverings so that the current contractor. (The one that's supposed to be leaving ?) doesn't mark the floor.

And he says it will be 3 to 4 hours work! And he's now changed the date again, but expects me to hold my schedule open as he 'might' change it again...

The Following User Says Thank You to vancouver dave For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (06-25-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-24-2019, 10:51 PM   #2
Bubble stick operator

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 132

Re: When Someone Wants You To Finish Another Contractors Work, AND Do It Cheap *&^%

If you weren't polite, you'd laugh in his face. Since you're Canadian, you'll probably just tell him you are booked solid and can't fit his 4 hour job in.

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Defenestrate For This Useful Post:
asevereid (06-26-2019), concretemasonry (06-25-2019), vancouver dave (06-25-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:02 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,350

Re: When Someone Wants You To Finish Another Contractors Work, AND Do It Cheap *&^%

if and when you take over someone's fustercluck it is done ALL on your terms.

you say when, how, how much & how you will be paid.

if there is any hesitation decline & move on....

that simple....
480sparky (06-24-2019), Bull Trout (06-24-2019), concretemasonry (06-25-2019), goneelkn (06-25-2019), hdavis (06-24-2019), jproffer (Today), MarkJames (06-25-2019), pinwheel (Yesterday), rrk (06-25-2019), vancouver dave (06-25-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2019, 11:31 PM   #4
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 11,734

Find out what said cheapskate does for a living, then counteroffer to barter your services for his.

"Oh, you're a surgeon? Hey, I need my gall bladder removed. It shouldn't take more than 4 hours. Can we swap? Maybe I can have this done Thursday this week. Maybe next Monday. Or two weeks from Wednesday....."
vancouver dave (06-25-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:33 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,126

He doesn't want you to sleep with him too, does he?

Tell him what you can do for him, or tell him you can't do anything for him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Navigatorgt (06-25-2019), vancouver dave (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 06:54 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,648

I am dealing with one of these now also, wants me to change my price because it should not take that long. Told him to do it himself since it won't take that long
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (06-25-2019), Mordekyle (06-25-2019), pinwheel (Yesterday), vancouver dave (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 07:12 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 13,527

When a client mentions "how long" something should take, they're often trying to maintain the upper hand and keep the price on the low end. Mind games.

I had an emergency toilet repair the other day for a client doing Airbnb rentals, and the toilet was running onto the floor, but no clog. Lady said "it should be a quick, easy fix." How the H___ would she know?

Last edited by MarkJames; 06-25-2019 at 07:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
rrk (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 07:14 AM   #8
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 8,190

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
When a client mentions "how long" something should take, they're often trying to maintain the upper hand and keep the price on the low end. Mind games.

I had an emergency toilet repair the other day for a client doing Airbnb, and the toilet was running onto the floor, but no clog. Lady said "it should be a quick, easy fix." How the H___ would she know?
Just wishing out loud - and hopeful.

We all do that.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:18 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
Just wishing out loud - and hopeful.

We all do that.
You're too kind. This wasn't the first or the last time with this one.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #10
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 8,190

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
You're too kind. This wasn't the first or the last time with this one.
heheheh...
Old 06-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #11
Pro

I once got a call about wrapping up a basement after a contractor skipped town. There were so many things wrong, and the nice, naive client was tapped out and just wanted it done. I looked down into the new toilet flange, and it wasn't a closet ell, but a Tee to accommodate the shower they relocated "upstream"..that she didn't even need to be moved. Fubar. She was trying to save money, and I was still focusing on the bad news about breaking the floor open.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:34 AM   #12
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 11,734

The stingiest people spend the most.

You can quote me on that.
B.Johnson (06-26-2019), Mordekyle (06-25-2019), SummitElectric1 (Yesterday)
Old 06-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrate View Post
If you weren't polite, you'd laugh in his face. Since you're Canadian, you'll probably just tell him you are booked solid and can't fit his 4 hour job in.

I'm not from Canada, can I tell him?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
Defenestrate (06-25-2019), hdavis (06-25-2019), jproffer (Today), tgeb (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,278

Go ahead and schedule another day to do the work and then cancel on him the day before. Keep doing this until he gets it.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #15
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,722

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
The stingiest people spend the most.

You can quote me on that.

Done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mordekyle For This Useful Post:
480sparky (06-25-2019)
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM   #16

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver dave View Post
I got a call from a guy, he had got my name from someone else. The someone is a friend and that's it, I've never worked for her (the friend).

The guy said that she said Im the most wonderful handyman ever? (I used to sleep with her

He's having some renovations done, but the contractor is leaving the job on Friday to start a new contract as by the guy on the phones own admission he dragged his heels on making decisions and he's run out of time.

Now he'd like me to go in and finish it off... so to stall things I said to send me a scope of the work he'd like done. It was Friday and I'd just got home and had a semi nap on the front lawn.

He had a date in mind to do the work.

So he sent me the email with the work to be done..., hang some doors, fix some baseboards, install some light fixtures, do some paint touch ups, lay down some floor coverings so that the current contractor. (The one that's supposed to be leaving ?) doesn't mark the floor.

And he says it will be 3 to 4 hours work! And he's now changed the date again, but expects me to hold my schedule open as he 'might' change it again...

Remove toxic clients, they damage your mental health
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 34,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver dave View Post
Sounds like he wants to do to you what she did to you just in a more forthright way...

Advertisement