Time Card Apps For Employees - Business - Contractor Talk

Time Card Apps For Employees

Old 02-25-2019, 05:40 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Drywall, Modulars, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 172

Time Card Apps For Employees

Tried searching first and got an error code, so....

Anyone have experience with any of these time sheet apps for android devices? Id like one that monitors if they are on the clock while not on the jobsite.

Free would be good but if its got a lot of features I'm willing to pay.

What have you guys used, likes, dislikes etc?

Thanks, Kev

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2019, 07:40 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 256

Re: Time Card Apps For Employees

We use T-sheets and like it. It's easy to use, and wasn't terribly expensive. I can't recall off the top of my head how much it was.

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 378

check these old discussions out...

https://www.contractortalk.com/f17/t...s-apps-134373/

https://www.contractortalk.com/f17/t...ftware-329825/

https://www.contractortalk.com/f16/t...rocess-305649/

https://www.contractortalk.com/f16/timesheets-138499/

https://www.contractortalk.com/f17/h...-iphone-62168/
overanalyze (02-26-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019, 12:00 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 340

T-Sheets user here as well. Has worked very well.

Really like the project report feature in it as well as advanced tracking. It's helped us dial in some of our numbers.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:47 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,526

I had to use an app called Harvest for a while. I believe in synched with quick books, and I could also upload receipts for reimbursement through it

-Rich
Old 02-26-2019, 11:56 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 924

I am assuming that a time tracking app will work only for employees paid an hourly rate.

I see in the T-Sheet advertising that employees get notified to take their legally required lunch breaks. While this sounds like a great way to make sure your business fulfills its legal requirements I am wondering if such tracking could give employees unnecessary documentation that could backfire.

In the past 3 years I've had about 17 worker comp lawsuits. Last year, I had one employee file a lawsuit against my company for with 17 causes of action for $1.25 million. One cause of action was that he claimed he was not given 1-hour uninterrupted lunch breaks.

In December 2018, exactly 1 year after the big lawsuit, 2 more employees filed multi-million dollar lawsuits through the same attorney. I sent the lawsuits to my attorney with my records in December and never heard 1 word from my ex-employee's attorney. I am assuming that the lawsuit was dropped because not I make my employees fill out and sign a time card every week and the employees enter in their personal handwriting the number of hours they work each day and they sign saying they received drinking water every day, they received their 1-hour uninterrupted breaks and their 10-minute breaks.

My question and point is that I don't know that I would rely on apps to do things that are critical and wonder if they could cause problems. We (everyone) can think we are smart, cool and everything is okay until we (you) get slapped with a lawsuit that puts you out of business.

Last edited by daffysplumbing; 02-26-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:59 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,526

I was salaried and using a time tracking app. The office used it for job costing

-Rich
Old 03-04-2019, 05:58 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,932

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffysplumbing View Post
I am assuming that a time tracking app will work only for employees paid an hourly rate.

I see in the T-Sheet advertising that employees get notified to take their legally required lunch breaks. While this sounds like a great way to make sure your business fulfills its legal requirements I am wondering if such tracking could give employees unnecessary documentation that could backfire.

In the past 3 years I've had about 17 worker comp lawsuits. Last year, I had one employee file a lawsuit against my company for with 17 causes of action for $1.25 million. One cause of action was that he claimed he was not given 1-hour uninterrupted lunch breaks.

In December 2018, exactly 1 year after the big lawsuit, 2 more employees filed multi-million dollar lawsuits through the same attorney. I sent the lawsuits to my attorney with my records in December and never heard 1 word from my ex-employee's attorney. I am assuming that the lawsuit was dropped because not I make my employees fill out and sign a time card every week and the employees enter in their personal handwriting the number of hours they work each day and they sign saying they received drinking water every day, they received their 1-hour uninterrupted breaks and their 10-minute breaks.

My question and point is that I don't know that I would rely on apps to do things that are critical and wonder if they could cause problems. We (everyone) can think we are smart, cool and everything is okay until we (you) get slapped with a lawsuit that puts you out of business.
Feel for you on that one.

I don't know about the apps. I thought about getting one last year. Turns out, I wish I had. Had one big client try to come back on me for hours billed. I had saved every piece of paper for the job. I made copies, turned them over, and he was extremely nice after that. At that time, I wish I had gotten the app.

I'll bet the app stores records for quite a while. Don't listen to me, since I don't have it.

Advertisement