Third Party Warranties - Business - Contractor Talk

Third Party Warranties

Old 05-17-2018, 05:25 PM   #1
3 Jacks 2 Nines

Trade: Wannabe Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 290

Third Party Warranties

Anyone in favor of them... Seem like a waste of money to me. Something the realtors are pushing for sure. 1 year builder warranty is standard in my parts and I have been referring to the RCPG for all warranty issues as to what is and isn't a warranty.

Biggest selling point from the 3rd party guys is that they will take care of all your calls... (but if your sub doesn't perform then you are on the hook for the payment and if you don't pay then they sue you to recover damages) Sounds like more trouble than it is worth.

Like I said. Anyone in favor of them. I'm wondering if I'm missing something here? Anyone have good experiences with these programs?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2018, 06:06 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 864

Re: Third Party Warranties

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiab View Post
Anyone in favor of them... Seem like a waste of money to me. Something the realtors are pushing for sure. 1 year builder warranty is standard in my parts and I have been referring to the RCPG for all warranty issues as to what is and isn't a warranty.

Biggest selling point from the 3rd party guys is that they will take care of all your calls... (but if your sub doesn't perform then you are on the hook for the payment and if you don't pay then they sue you to recover damages) Sounds like more trouble than it is worth.

Like I said. Anyone in favor of them. I'm wondering if I'm missing something here? Anyone have good experiences with these programs?
How can you do the math to analyze your risk vs. potential profit. Like many warranties, you have to have every exclusion possible to alleviate yourself from having to pay out and you have to include every system possible so the customer has to jump through impossible hoops to get any benefit.

I would not waste my time nor take any risk.

Advertisement