Subcontractor Workers Comp - Business - Contractor Talk

Subcontractor Workers Comp

Old 06-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #1

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 10

Subcontractor Workers Comp

Hey. Any body know if in the near future sub contractors will have to have workers comp?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,244

Re: Subcontractor Workers Comp

Sub contractors should have their own WC. Sub contractors are just contractors.

Advertisement

Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Builder/Remodeler

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,030

If you have employees, you should have work comp--whether you're a GC or a sub makes no difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrWright For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (06-23-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 626

In Canada yes. After Dec 31 2012, all contacrtors/subcontratcors etc.. will need to be registered under WSIB (workplace safety and Ins Board)regardless of whether you have employees or not. I don't like it. in Canada it is a private company that you are REQUIRED to register with. B$llsh!t if you ask me. I'm still not certain if that means that I will have to pay for premiums for myself as well as employees or it only means I would need to be registered even if I had no employees. Currently I could optionally cover myself (for 12.5% not sure about profit since I'm not incorporated)
Old 06-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

Dom-mas, you will be required (as I understand) that you must have WSIB and you must have coverage for yourself if you are on site. One person in the company can be exempt (could be you) provided they are never on site, occasional visits are permitted, but very occasional and even more rare.

My wife owns our company, currently I am an employee and pay the 8.80 per hundred on myself. So currently we meet the new regulations as she has no WSIB coverage on herself, but she may come to the site 3-4 times a year if she is traveling with me for the day, but even at that she never enters the fenced work area and observes from a far
Old 06-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Pro

I'm basically a one man show. Currently I have a labourer (covered by WSIB at 12.5 % according to my trade). i guess in the new year I'll be covering myself as well
Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

US federal law say if there are 3 or more workers. Many states are more restrictive. My state says WC is required if you have any employees or ever hire an assistant/sub.

As a GC, I am required to cover all subs that don't have it (one-man shows). The insurer charges me the same rate as the sub would pay but charges me on the full amount of the invoice, labor, materials, profit, and overhead. When I hire subs without insurance (rare but it happens) I provide the materials and the sub's price reflects the lack of insurance.
TNTRenovate (06-20-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 05:44 AM   #8
WICKED WOODCHUCKER

Trade: Finish carpentry, drywall, Tile
Rewards Points: 500

Holy you guys are lucky, those are low rates for wc.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
US federal law say if there are 3 or more workers. Many states are more restrictive. My state says WC is required if you have any employees or ever hire an assistant/sub.

As a GC, I am required to cover all subs that don't have it (one-man shows). The insurer charges me the same rate as the sub would pay but charges me on the full amount of the invoice, labor, materials, profit, and overhead. When I hire subs without insurance (rare but it happens) I provide the materials and the sub's price reflects the lack of insurance.
In Ont there is a bunch of paperwork to go through when you do not have a WSIB # and you are a sole proprietor or partnership. You answer a bunch of questions and show past invoices and materials purchased etc...Then WSIB makes a determination of whether the GC has to cover you or not. You're supposed to do it for each contractor you work for. A pain in the butt but at least no ones paying for something they shouldn't be.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
WICKED WOODCHUCKER

Trade: Finish carpentry, drywall, Tile
Rewards Points: 500

Ive never understood why everyone doesnt have workmans comp anyway. its part of being in buisness. just like vehicles, gas, tools, insurances etc got to have it all! I wouldn't start a car dealership and not have any cars to sell.
The Following User Says Thank You to mnjconstruction For This Useful Post:
FGCC (06-27-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

If it is legal where you are, you should not carry workers comp, but you should carry a disability policy. Wc just covers you under working conditions, whereas disability covers you all the time.

Thats what my insurance guy told me at least.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 06-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
Pro

In Ont if you don't have any employees you can't get a WSIB #. I guess you could incorporate and make yourself an employee but I have no desire for that since as Kent Whitten says, i prefer to have disability ins. it's moot for me now because i do have an employee and in the new year I'll have to have it for myself anyway.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage
Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom-mas
In Ont if you don't have any employees you can't get a WSIB #. I
Actually yes you can. When you fill out the independent contractors survey the results come back to you with a number, that'd your WSIB number. That's what I was using for a few years when it was just me, and it stayed the same when I got employees.

WSIB rep is actually coming to see me next week at the shop to help make sure I'm doing everything right. I have many questions for them.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
Actually yes you can. When you fill out the independent contractors survey the results come back to you with a number, that'd your WSIB number. That's what I was using for a few years when it was just me, and it stayed the same when I got employees.

WSIB rep is actually coming to see me next week at the shop to help make sure I'm doing everything right. I have many questions for them.
Weird, when i talked to them i specifically said that i was tired of filling in the stupid questionnaire, can i just get a number? The girl I talked to said WSIB was to protect employees who get hurt at work, if i didn't have employees I was fubared
Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #15
A.C.E.

Trade: roofer sider
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Whitten View Post
If it is legal where you are, you should not carry workers comp, but you should carry a disability policy. Wc just covers you under working conditions, whereas disability covers you all the time.

Thats what my insurance guy told me at least.
Good idea for the owner-who is not required to have WC but works on the tools.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage
Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom-mas View Post
Weird, when i talked to them i specifically said that i was tired of filling in the stupid questionnaire, can i just get a number? The girl I talked to said WSIB was to protect employees who get hurt at work, if i didn't have employees I was fubared
May as well just get it then.

If you are the principal then you do not have to get it on yourself. If you have 0 employees then your payroll for the period is $0 and your remittance is $0.

You will have to get it next year regardless.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,278

The rules are different in each state. In Washington it is very strange, a GC does not have to have it if he's the only one doing the work. But if he opts to have workers comp for himself, then he has to abide by all of the state safety laws.

If it's a sub-contractor working for a GC and the licensed sub is the only one doing the work, no employees, and the GC starts giving his sub orders. Then the state can say "he's an employee, not a sub", and they will want you to pay workers comp for that sub. Which I don't like and I don't know how far they enforce that, but those are the laws in Washington.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
May as well just get it then.

If you are the principal then you do not have to get it on yourself. If you have 0 employees then your payroll for the period is $0 and your remittance is $0.

You will have to get it next year regardless.
Right, but when the lady asked me my employees name and I replied that I didn't have an employee, she said I couldn't get a number and would have to keep filling out the questionnaire (she suggested just photocopying it and giving each different contractor a copy).
Old 06-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Insurance Broker - Commercial Construction
Rewards Points: 666

Work Comp rules vary depending on what state or province you are in. My following comments relate to Ontario only and I see that several of my Ontario neighbours have posted to this thread so hopefully this info will be helpful to them.

The purpose of WSIB is to ensure that EMPLOYEES are protected. Therefore, if you have no employees, then you don't get a registration number. If you have employees that you have to cover, then you are also given the option of adding yourself (owner). If you have no employees then WSIB does not apply to you; and you have to go and get your own personal disability insurance from a private AD&D insurer.

If you had employees and now have none, your WSIB account goes dormant, but your # sticks with you and can be re-activated again if you are required to carry WSIB cover in the future.

The new Bill 119 that is coming into force at the end of 2012 is going to require commercial contractors and new residential contractors to be registered with WSIB, and to cover themselves as owner even if they have no employees. (Previously, these owners didn't get a WSIB # and had to get themselves personally covered through private insurance.)

Home renovators will still be exempt as long as they have no employees and all work is done by registered sub-contractors. Contracts have to be direct with individual homeowners and not through another contractor. The owner of the home renovation company cannot go on site.

Apparently, they are still looking at clarifying what if the owner usually never goes on site to do work but may have to step in to help get work done if behind schedule or a subbed worker calls in sick.

Everyone who uses subs is required to make sure you have proper clearance certificates from all of them. Did you know that you can check out potential subs on the WSIB website? All you need is their name. Also, you can even request the clearance certificates yourself if you have the sub's WSIB #. So rather than waiting for your subs to get you the proper cert, just have them give you their WSIB # at the time you sub-contract with them, and then order the cert yourself.

Webpage is here: Ontario eClearance

Hoping you find this helpful.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrix View Post
Home renovators will still be exempt as long as they have no employees and all work is done by registered sub-contractors. Contracts have to be direct with individual homeowners and not through another contractor. The owner of the home renovation company cannot go on site.
I don't have a dog in the fight so I'm just asking out of curiousity.

How do you keep control of a project if you never go on site? Or does this mean, you just can't do the physical labor?

Advertisement