Strange One - Business - Contractor Talk

Strange One

Old 06-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 266

Strange One

hi there

I had a customer call to my house today (Sunday )
I gave her an invoice last Wednesday . I thought great she's here to pay me (only really around on the week ends)

she makes small talk so I wait but knew something was up.
eventually she takes a few boxes of screws out of the car and hands them to me.
she then says that she got the screws (all the materials I used on her job) herself because 'I was robing her on them'
the screws I used retailed for 180 euro but I got them less but she don't know that
I charged her 200 for them ,mark up etc
she couldn't understand where this extra 20 came from and that she should pay it. even after explaining it to her
the screws she got were cheaper (still good though)screws and she showed me the receipt for 135 . then started moaning about being robbed ,.
anyway just to shut her up I accepted the screws because I would use them this week anyway.
she asked for a new invoice so I took off 135 and left on the 65.
she went mad altogether then . screaming .

eventually she calmed enough and rang her husband . they rowed a bit then she paid me what I put on the second invoice.

no harm no foul

has any one had this happen to them.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-07-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 526

Re: Strange One

It does amuse me sometimes when customers start prying a little about the cost of materials and why it's sometimes higher than shelf prices elsewhere.

We often (99% of the time) get materials at cheaper than shelf price (natural for contractors of course), and I consider any monies saved to be ours - we are the ones that have earned our discount and it's usually us doing the phoning around for best prices or haggling down at the merchants. This process takes time and therefore costs money which is uncharged until we get the benefit from material profits.

We've been fortunate that we've only had to explain a few times why material prices have extra put on top. As we are in the process of building a business, there is of course our O and P (businesses need profit to grow). There's also the simple matter of shipping and handling. I've explained each of those few times that more often than not, items purchased not at the point of sale are charged at cost plus shipping and handling. Moreover, the customer would be spending gas/delivery charge for them to get their own materials.

Our simple answer is that our add ons on top of material costs ensure that the materials are of the best quality specified for the job (or better). An example would be the cedar deck and porch enclosure I recently completed (not that those customers batted an eyelid); our supplier has had a tough time of late sourcing good quality cedar decking. As a result, I spent an hour unstacking and re-stacking 400 2 x 6 boards (12 footers) just to find 50 that I was satisfied with.

In addition to that, it guarantees that any faulty goods are dealt with before they make it to the jobsite (had a customer order and purchase their own glass shower door before, only to find the glass pebbled in the box after it had been delivered - I fixed the issue at a cost, one that would have been avoided had I ordered the thing).

Advertisement

Old 06-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 15,183

Re: Strange One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan M View Post
hi there

I had a customer call to my house today (Sunday )
I gave her an invoice last Wednesday . I thought great she's here to pay me (only really around on the week ends)

she makes small talk so I wait but knew something was up.
eventually she takes a few boxes of screws out of the car and hands them to me.
she then says that she got the screws (all the materials I used on her job) herself because 'I was robing her on them'
the screws I used retailed for 180 euro but I got them less but she don't know that
I charged her 200 for them ,mark up etc
she couldn't understand where this extra 20 came from and that she should pay it. even after explaining it to her
the screws she got were cheaper (still good though)screws and she showed me the receipt for 135 . then started moaning about being robbed ,.
anyway just to shut her up I accepted the screws because I would use them this week anyway.
she asked for a new invoice so I took off 135 and left on the 65.
she went mad altogether then . screaming .

eventually she calmed enough and rang her husband . they rowed a bit then she paid me what I put on the second invoice.

no harm no foul

has any one had this happen to them.
Did you ask her to include her time, car costs, fuel, wear and tear and your warranty in that box of screws?

Or does she think those screws just magically appeared in your truck just when you needed them.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut