Starting Up - Business - Contractor Talk

Starting Up

Old 02-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #1

Trade: dirt
Rewards Points: 4

Starting Up

Hello All,

Ok so I’m the new guy here.

I am throwing around the idea of starting up “something.” I’m kinda wanting to start a business that will focus on “land clearing” mostly mulcher head type of work, to start, hopefully other odd jobs will come from this which will lead to bigger and bigger jobs. I’m not sticking my head in the sand it will have to do leg work with the marketing aspect.

I currently have a full time job so i am going to try and do this as a true start up, I’m sure it will be a lot of moonlighting and weekends for awhile.
Mostly at first i just have to get my name and my idea out there, i know this will take time and that is OK.

First thing I think i need to focus on is the what and where of the business. Basically here is what i do and here is where i do it.

I am looking for advice in the way of is this mulcher head a bad one? How do you get the first job, i bet no one has the same answer here I’m just looking for ideas? I really want to be able to focus on how to get the jobs first maybe this will help with the “area i am going to work in”

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 11,070

Re: Starting Up

Get market research done.
Get a lawyer.
Get an accountant.
Get a banker.
Get one years' worth of wages saved up.
Get a business plan.
Get a balance sheet.
Get good credit.
Get advertising.
Get customers.
Get going.

Advertisement

asevereid (02-12-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #3

Trade: Carpenty/framing
Rewards Points: 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWynn View Post
First thing I think i need to focus on is the what and where of the business. Basically here is what i do and here is where i do it.
Get your business name in order (even if it's just TWynn's Whatever) and make some business cards. Then, start knocking on doors. That's the secret to business: you've got to talk to people.

With the Internet, it's easier than ever.

Stick with small, infrequent jobs. You want to avoid putting together the details while sprinting because sprinting is a dangerous way to proceed, and stressful. Get your necessary equipment (or make a plan for what you need to rent), then sell work based on that equipment only, nothing else.

Quote:
I am looking for advice in the way of is this mulcher head a bad one? How do you get the first job, i bet no one has the same answer here I’m just looking for ideas? I really want to be able to focus on how to get the jobs first maybe this will help with the “area i am going to work in”
Only you can know your market. People in your market who know would never share that information.

All that said, you might want to move up through the company you work for, so you get some sales and management experience before leaping.

Be on the lookout for signs that your family isn't able to make this transition. You may be stuck as an employee if your wife gives you grief over all the time you're spending on it. And, you may be stuck if your wife thinks a deposit is disposable income. If you're young and single, don't get anyone pregnant or your success will be poured into staying out of baby jail
The Following User Says Thank You to Add 'em For This Useful Post:
Mordekyle (02-14-2018)

Old 02-14-2018, 08:01 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 674

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWynn View Post
Hello All,

Ok so I’m the new guy here.

I am throwing around the idea of starting up “something.” I’m kinda wanting to start a business that will focus on “land clearing” mostly mulcher head type of work, to start, hopefully other odd jobs will come from this which will lead to bigger and bigger jobs. I’m not sticking my head in the sand it will have to do leg work with the marketing aspect.

I currently have a full time job so i am going to try and do this as a true start up, I’m sure it will be a lot of moonlighting and weekends for awhile.
Mostly at first i just have to get my name and my idea out there, i know this will take time and that is OK.

Most people already know whether or not a business is lucrative before they even think about starting that business. Most people already have a lot of confidence that the business they are thinking of starting will be successful. While there are certainly some good business savvy people on CT who could make the business lucrative if there was a good market for the business the answer regarding whether or not the business is good for you depends on the market in your area and whether or not you have the thousands of things necessary to run a business and to make it profitable. Since you asked your questions I will guess that you have not done any marketing research and that the business is a bad idea for you at this time.

I think most people dream about the benefits of starting their own business and these benefits are independence and fortune. So, most people jump in with both feet and they drown. Before starting a business, you need to test the water before you put a lot of time and money into it. The very first thing you need to do is do your marketing to see if you get jobs and see how much money you can charge. Don't quit your day job to start the business. Try to get some jobs, rent equipment instead of purchasing and when you start earning 50%+ more than you earn on your day job then start getting serious about your new business.

Of course, you had better check on all the laws, licenses, insurance, how to write contracts, hire an attorney, accountant, etc..
Old 02-14-2018, 08:16 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add 'em View Post
Get your business name in order (even if it's just TWynn's Whatever) and make some business cards. Then, start knocking on doors. That's the secret to business: you've got to talk to people.

With the Internet, it's easier than ever.

Stick with small, infrequent jobs. You want to avoid putting together the details while sprinting because sprinting is a dangerous way to proceed, and stressful. Get your necessary equipment (or make a plan for what you need to rent), then sell work based on that equipment only, nothing else.

Only you can know your market. People in your market who know would never share that information.

All that said, you might want to move up through the company you work for, so you get some sales and management experience before leaping.

Be on the lookout for signs that your family isn't able to make this transition. You may be stuck as an employee if your wife gives you grief over all the time you're spending on it. And, you may be stuck if your wife thinks a deposit is disposable income. If you're young and single, don't get anyone pregnant or your success will be poured into staying out of baby jail

You are right about having a family when starting a business. My father used to always say, "a woman can make or break you". You need either the right woman who is a terrific asset because she helps you, or you need a good woman who stays entirely out of your business and gives you the freedom to to do whatever you want without criticism.