Starting Up - Business - Contractor Talk

Starting Up

Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #1

Trade: Student/handyman
Rewards Points: 75
Talking

Starting Up

So Ime almost done with high school were I am attending a vocational program for carpentry. I am sure some will laugh when i say i am intrested in starting a business offering basic handyman services an light remodeling for now. I plan on eventually going bigger but i gotta start small.I have all the tools truck n trailer to start as I have been doing side jobs for two years. I got the skills to do basic services. When it comes to light remodels I got people in the family who can help who are more experienced and licensed.

I guess what I am looking for any tips an advice and just any good sources for information would be greatly appreciated. What do you guys think, how did you get started?

Thanks for your time.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 AM   #2
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

Re: Starting Up

As far as advice get good insurance. And how I got started. I pretty much did the same as you started small, made friends with well known contractors that could give me the small jobs they didnt want and hire me when I didn't have work. Get you're name out, and advertise. Then when I was in college me and a few buddies framed a house for homes for humanity, all volunteer work just for fun after class. That led us to two more framing jobs, and a pole barn.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to jlsconstruction For This Useful Post:
18withtools (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
Accidental Painter

Trade: Who's paying?
Rewards Points: 1,262

Attitude is everything. Get your name out there, answer your phone , and keep your word.

Tge first couple years your gonna live off ramen noodles. After that its easy peasy.

Pay attention to your numbers. Right now, they're wrong. After each job do a self evaluation. How could I have done better, was that really the best price, etc...

Learn, advertise, network, work. People will hire someone who is busy before they hire someone who isn't.
18withtools (01-17-2013), killerdecks (01-17-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,532

The age thing is going to be a tough nut to crack. I applaud your desire to do your own thing, but, I would work for some people until you have built up a more solid resume.

If you insist on doing your own thing, I suggest purchasing a rig in which you can haul away construction waste piles, or haul in top soil and/or compost. The old folks are going to have a hard time trusting a kid they don't know to do repairs on their house. But, something in regards to the work suggested above, "eh, I'll give him a chance".

Good luck
18withtools (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 398

I think you've got a great future ahead of you. I too started my own company when I was in high school. For me, it was the smartest way to do it. I was still living with my parents so I had a safety net and I could focus on improvement without worrying about where the next check will come from.

Two pieces of advice...
1.) Always ask what the prospective client wants before you meet with them. If its over your head you can walk away right there and the homeowner won't feel as though their time has been wasted.

2.) Always be professional, yard signs, uniforms, truck lettering. it may seem like a big investment now,or it may not, but either way looking the part will help you become sucessful much faster.

Oh! also, when i started out all I did was study how to estimate... what materials cost and equally imporant what your time costs. Don't just pick a number from thin air... sit down and think "what are my fuel costs" "will I need to dispose of waste" and then you can give an ethical but profitable estimate.

Good Luck and keep us posted!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TRMolnar For This Useful Post:
18withtools (01-17-2013), flashheatingand (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
pro

Trade: Capenter/ Remodeler
Rewards Points: 768

The age thing is really going to suck for you. But you can over come that with time and doing good work.

We all need to start somewhere just be careful as you don't just get a reputation as just a handyman that labeling maybe a bigger hurdle to get over when the time comes. Then the age game right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to country_huck For This Useful Post:
jhark123 (01-19-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Nest Home Improvement

Trade: Home improvement simplified!
Rewards Points: 518

Age doesn't matter, what matters is your maturity. I like your attitude, it shows you have some maturity and have a good goal for yourself, owning your own show.

My advice...be honest with everyone you work with and communicate. Everything else you can learn along the way. Best of luck to you!

Serving the home improvement needs of the Triangle www.NestHomeImprovement.com
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinahandyma For This Useful Post:
18withtools (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinahandyma View Post
Age doesn't matter, what matters is your maturity. I like your attitude, it shows you have some maturity and have a good goal for yourself, owning your own show.

My advice...be honest with everyone you work with and communicate. Everything else you can learn along the way. Best of luck to you!
The only problem I had when starting out due to age was no one wanted to work for me
The Following User Says Thank You to jlsconstruction For This Useful Post:
TRMolnar (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
Nest Home Improvement

Trade: Home improvement simplified!
Rewards Points: 518

I know a young guy that graduated college so that would make him 22-23 years old. He really enjoyed doing general handyman things, yard work things many homeowners do themselves or hire out. He was able to keep him self very busy doing these items and has a good following of clients. Starting with a late model sedan and now he drives a small pick-up. I don't think he is trying to build some big business, just keep himself busy earning $ and doing things he likes to do.

Serving the home improvement needs of the Triangle www.NestHomeImprovement.com
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinahandyma For This Useful Post:
18withtools (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 1,844

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinahandyma

I have to say speaking from personal experience age is gonna be a struggle. I'm 20 now and I own my own company doing trim and decent sized renovations. And I would consider myself mature for my age. I get ppl who look at me and think oh he's 20 there's no way he will do quality work, people's mentality is you the kid who mows the grass for the neighborhood. You Need to be able to sell yourself, as you do jobs take pictures make a portfolio show them what you can offer them and always be on time and professional. When I'm not busy ill go work for other ppl friends of mine who have been doing it a lot longer than me to see how they do it, how they interact with customers how they sell their jobs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tylerwalker32 For This Useful Post:
18withtools (01-17-2013), flashheatingand (01-18-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsconstruction View Post
As far as advice get good insurance. And how I got started. I pretty much did the same as you started small, made friends with well known contractors that could give me the small jobs they didnt want and hire me when I didn't have work. Get you're name out, and advertise. Then when I was in college me and a few buddies framed a house for homes for humanity, all volunteer work just for fun after class. That led us to two more framing jobs, and a pole barn.
If you do good work people will find you. Networking helps a lot as well. Get involved with your local community and then people will turn to you for help because they know and trust you.
18withtools (01-17-2013), flashheatingand (01-18-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,224

I was in a B2B biz and not a B2C when I started my first company at 26, and I looked 18. That may be a little different because business people were mostly supportive and admired my ambition. Dealing with consumers may make that more of an issue.

However, the age problem is mostly how you deal with it. If you expect it to be an obstacle, it will be. If you refuse to let it stop you and carry yourself confidently and professionally, then it won't be a problem. Even if someone does have a problem with your age, you need to recognize it will be their problem not yours.

If I can give one piece of advice that trumps all others, it would be to find a mentor. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Get all the advice from experienced people you can and implement it. Who you associate with will determine how your future will turn out.
flashheatingand (01-18-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #13

I know age is gomna be tough. Nothing good ever comes easy. I can work though it an impress people. I am not trying to be cocky however I can do the basics pretty good. I can't begin to build a whole house but overtime my skills should improve and one day hopefully I can.

As far as the financial standpoint goes its gonna be tough but not impossible. It does help still living at home, luckily I've got the tools truck n trailer.

I can easily get graphics for my truck and have a professional looking equitment. Although no matter how nice of equitment once I get the job it's ultimately gonna be the work that matters and gets customers calling me back.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 13,186

For my 2 cents, Id get on with a good crew and attain a solid skill set

It could mean the difference between staying a handyman, or becoming a builder Nothing wrong with being a handyman at all But if you have aspirations of becoming a builder, become a true carpenter first.

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
country_huck (01-17-2013), Dirtywhiteboy (02-09-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #15
The Sheriff

BTW, I dig your attitude

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
18withtools (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #16
Forming and Framing

Trade: Shell builder
Rewards Points: 3,582

Sounds like someone I know.

Being young like you, people tend to look at me and laugh, but you need to prove yourself. Keep your word and don't get in over your head. There will be times where you take on a job and don't know every single thing...happens to me alot, but i make damn sure i know enough to figure it out and execute it properly.
Don't be over confident in your abilities, no shame in turning down a job, it will look better on you then if you were to take the job and **** up.

http://www.proicf.com
http://instagram.com/instagrauds

Last edited by FramingPro; 01-17-2013 at 11:20 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FramingPro For This Useful Post:
flashheatingand (01-18-2013), Jaws (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FramingPro View Post
Sounds like someone i know.

Being young like you, people tend to look at me and laugh, but you need to prove yourself. Keep your word and don't get in over your head. There will be times where you take on a job and don't know every single thing...happens to me alot, but i make damn sure i know enough to figure it out and execute it properly.
Don't be over confident of your abilities, no shame in turning down a job, it will look better on you then, if you were to take the job and **** up.
Thanks

There was actually a side job the other day I turned down, it absolutely killed me. I hate saying I can't do something. I probably Could of ,are it work but in now way would it be done to the quality of work I find acceptable.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Small remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 115

I have taught many people to do the trade. It takes years.

become a true carpenter first.

I think I was self employed for 10-15 years before I felt good enough to call myself a carpenter. The more I learned the more I realized how little I knew.

Rich
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cargin2 For This Useful Post:
18withtools (01-18-2013), flashheatingand (01-18-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #19
Forming and Framing

Trade: Shell builder
Rewards Points: 3,582

Also, the guys will be shocked here to see me type this but...
Work on the spelling and grammar, you need to be able to communicate with suppliers, fellow tradesmen and customers. Proper language skills make you seem more professional and attractive to potential clients.

http://www.proicf.com
http://instagram.com/instagrauds
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FramingPro For This Useful Post:
18withtools (01-18-2013), cbscreative (01-18-2013), flashheatingand (01-18-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #20
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18withtools View Post
Thanks

There was actually a side job the other day I turned down, it absolutely killed me. I hate saying I can't do something. I probably Could of ,are it work but in now way would it be done to the quality of work I find acceptable.
Do some form work, frame a few dozen houses and trim the same, you wont feel that way

Advertisement

John