Starting A Security Business! - Business - Contractor Talk

Starting A Security Business!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #1

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 10

Starting A Security Business!

Deleted

Last edited by k514vh2; 12-14-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
PRO

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Starting A Security Business!

He goes back to work at his regular job. You filed bancruptcy.....Do you really think your capable of running a business because it shows you can't run your personal life. Just my opinion.

Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #3

You sure are a real jerk! You know absolutely nothing about our personal life and the reasons why we filed. If you knew anything about mastec, you might understand why. We were living off a few hundred dollars a month then due to trying to make a living off of piece work for a corrupt company that has been sued multiple times for failing to pay it's employees correctly. We thank god everyday he made it out of that company with our marriage in tact because many others weren't so lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

There's no hope for you.

You definitely should NOT even consider opening your own "business".
Old 12-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #5

So I guess I came to the wrong place for help. Thanks anyways guys.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
Pro

If you post on some other site, you may want to employ a more professional attitude. Yours won't make you any friends.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandConst View Post
He goes back to work at his regular job. You filed bancruptcy.....Do you really think your capable of running a business because it shows you can't run your personal life. Just my opinion.
I declared bankruptcy and lost everything. What were you saying now? Puck you! You want to see success stop over by me mofo!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
Pro

Aren't you running late for something?
Old 12-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by J F View Post
Aren't you running late for something?
Smart phone
Old 12-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by k514vh2 View Post
You sure are a real jerk! You know absolutely nothing about our personal life and the reasons why we filed. If you knew anything about mastec, you might understand why. We were living off a few hundred dollars a month then due to trying to make a living off of piece work for a corrupt company that has been sued multiple times for failing to pay it's employees correctly. We thank god everyday he made it out of that company with our marriage in tact because many others weren't so lucky.
I have 3 great kids and a wife. I know what hell you went through.

You will get through this. If I can help let me know, I'll do whatever it takes to help.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #11

Trade: Deck Builder & Refinisher
Rewards Points: 25

What blows me away is that 5 people live off of 32k a year....gross!

It sounds to me that this is a pipe dream and neither of you have any idea what it will require to run a business. Case in point, asking if bankruptcy well have an effect in getting licensed. Securing a business loan? Yes. Licensing? No. Pass your tests. Pay your fees. Get insurance. Bam, licensed.

How much do you have in savings?
The Following User Says Thank You to delhamas For This Useful Post:
J F (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,434

Gee, where to start? I have heard this and similar stories over the last 14 years. Going into business for yourself without the following is going to be disappointing at best: (1) Financial back up---at least 1 to 2 years of family & business expense cost in the bank; (2) Research---this is something that virtually no one does----what experience, education, licenses, certifications, transportation, tools, materials, etc. do you need to run this business, and, what is your competition in your area; (3) Someone in the family needs a full time job while the other starts the business; (4) Sources of leads and work----connections with clients and contractors that currently or in the very near future, need what you are offering.

That is the short list.

I started my firm(licensed electrical contracting and security) with an MBA, background in physics and structural engineering, plus having started at least 5 businesses since I was 17 (some are still around). I took out an equity loan to start my business in the amount of 40K......it should have been closer to 100K in hindsight. I have 25+ years of executive level marketing, sales and business management.......and still it was a royal pain and several years of sacrifice to make to this level I have now. And the fact of the matter is, it was just me I was taking care of..........not five others too.

Here is a dose of reality: you have too many strikes against you right now. You need to build up your finances and credit for several years before you decide to roll the dice and gamble on a new venture. This means that at least two people in this family need to be employed with benefits, and, not just employed enough to pay the bills at the end of the month.
The Following User Says Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
J F (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

One of the biggest mistakes that people often make is that they second guess themselves when it comes to taking their career to the next level.

Whether it be a promotion, getting a license to go into business for yourself, or even landing a bigger contract, you gotta go for it regardless of whether you think you meet every requirement or not.

Like when it comes to not knowing if the previous 6-years experience will count or not, still.. APPLY FOR THE LICENSE ANYWAY and then let them determine whether or not you should have it. But don't disqualify yourself before you make an attempt.

But if you are going to move to another area to start a business, you had better be sure that you know where you are going to get your clients from and how you will generate business. And you'll have to be able to demonstrate your ability to do so.

I know many people who have started businesses hoping that someone will call and hoping someone will already know the value of the service that they provide. Then a few months down the road they shut everything down citing that it "just didn't work out". Well.. NO. You didn't do anything to work it out.

But without going on a rant here, I would suggest that you keep moving forward while you figure out what you are doing and you'll do fine.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
Pro

Nobody has 1-2 years of cash when starting a business. And you don't need to have it either.

I started with nothing but I was highly motivated. We had nothing, absolutely nothing.

I would say most people starting a business, even famous people, start with nothing.

I worked at night and ate noodles and potatoes. Sun up till sun down I either was busy learning marketing or busy marketing what I learned.

Marketing trumps everything. EVERYTHING!!!!!

I plumbed out of a car when I started and had some hand tools. It can be done, in fact I recommend starting this way that way you learn faster. Money is good, you should have some, but it's not a requirement by any stretch of the imagination. Most people can't save $20k in an entire lifetime so if you saved $50 a week in your wages you'll be 80 years old by the time your ready. Screw that.

There's a million ways to market yourself for free. Learn those. Be a connector and start connecting the dots.

If you went bankrupt and you have kids my guess is you are in your 30's???? You want your retirement settled by the time you are 50. Period!!!

So by the time you are 50 that's the end result which means you need to of had that ball rolling for some time. If you're 35 that gives you 15 years. And considering the first 5 years are rough as hell that gives you 10 years to make it happen. That's 10 years to.build an income, save for retirement, and have extra spending money. TEN YEARS!!!!!

Do not wait!! Figure out what you want and make a sound commitment to it. You are out of time, unless you are 18.

This time frame haunted me, still does. Once you go bankrupt you have zero money.

Put all your eggs in marketing. The entire family, study marketing. Talk about it at supper time, breakfast, lunch, driving. Throw the TV out the window and read like crazy. Talk to successful businesses and ask them for advice. Avoid unsuccessful people and businesses at all cost. You don't have time for that.

It boils down to a very simple thing. Right now a person within 10 miles of you needs a security system. They need to know you exist. They need to know they can trust you. They need to feel good about your brand. Make that happen and learn why it does happen.

In short, business is a rather simply philosophy. People way over complicate it. Something as simple as a business card in the hands of the right individual can build a business. It's just that simple. I did it and I'm not that smart, just highly motivated. Like to the extreme, because I've seen the other side and it isn't pretty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oconomowoc For This Useful Post:
k514vh2 (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
Pro

Still ain't happening for the op though.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #16

Deleted

Old 12-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by k514vh2 View Post

Calling our income gross? What does that even mean? We live in a very low cost of living area and actually make ABOVE the average here. It does help that I coupon for groceries and household products too.

Okay, who is this screwin' with us? Good one. This must be Bob the landscaper's alter identity.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #18

Deleted.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
Pro

It get's easier as you go along.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_income
Old 12-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #20
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oconomowoc View Post
Nobody has 1-2 years of cash when starting a business. And you don't need to have it either.

I started with nothing but I was highly motivated. We had nothing, absolutely nothing.

I would say most people starting a business, even famous people, start with nothing.

I worked at night and ate noodles and potatoes. Sun up till sun down I either was busy learning marketing or busy marketing what I learned.

Marketing trumps everything. EVERYTHING!!!!!

I plumbed out of a car when I started and had some hand tools. It can be done, in fact I recommend starting this way that way you learn faster. Money is good, you should have some, but it's not a requirement by any stretch of the imagination. Most people can't save $20k in an entire lifetime so if you saved $50 a week in your wages you'll be 80 years old by the time your ready. Screw that.

There's a million ways to market yourself for free. Learn those. Be a connector and start connecting the dots.

If you went bankrupt and you have kids my guess is you are in your 30's???? You want your retirement settled by the time you are 50. Period!!!

So by the time you are 50 that's the end result which means you need to of had that ball rolling for some time. If you're 35 that gives you 15 years. And considering the first 5 years are rough as hell that gives you 10 years to make it happen. That's 10 years to.build an income, save for retirement, and have extra spending money. TEN YEARS!!!!!

Do not wait!! Figure out what you want and make a sound commitment to it. You are out of time, unless you are 18.

This time frame haunted me, still does. Once you go bankrupt you have zero money.

Put all your eggs in marketing. The entire family, study marketing. Talk about it at supper time, breakfast, lunch, driving. Throw the TV out the window and read like crazy. Talk to successful businesses and ask them for advice. Avoid unsuccessful people and businesses at all cost. You don't have time for that.

It boils down to a very simple thing. Right now a person within 10 miles of you needs a security system. They need to know you exist. They need to know they can trust you. They need to feel good about your brand. Make that happen and learn why it does happen.

In short, business is a rather simply philosophy. People way over complicate it. Something as simple as a business card in the hands of the right individual can build a business. It's just that simple. I did it and I'm not that smart, just highly motivated. Like to the extreme, because I've seen the other side and it isn't pretty.
Some great advice. Motivation is the key. Never take failure as an option.

Not to mention that if you are waiting for the right circumstances they will never occur. Sometimes you just have to dive in and see what happens.

Advertisement