Starting Carpentry Business! - Business - Contractor Talk

Starting Carpentry Business!

Old 07-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 702

Starting Carpentry Business!

I am thinking about picking up some punch list carpentry work. I am wondering is trim carpentry, rotten wood replacement, and door & window install a good place to start? I am cutting lawns in the neighborhood to fund the tool buying.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,560

Re: Starting Carpentry Business!

If that's what you're good at, it's probably a good place to begin.

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

Replacing exterior trim,soffit and facia is a good start--

I'd leave exterior doors and trim for a time when you have some more experience doing them. A goof up on a window install may not show up for some time and some expensive damage could be the result.

If you find a customer who knows and trusts you--like a relative---I'm sure you can figure out the best and safest methods--then sell your new skills.

Interior trim and interior doors---Crown molding---and built in book cases are right up your alley. (and you have all or most of the tools to pull that off already)

Believe it or not,there is a guy around here with a truck filled with mail box post and mailboxes----sells the hell out of that truck---

Neighbors wander over to the guy as he works----one job gets him 3 or 4.

Post hole digger wheel barrow and a hoe---rack displaying his posts and boxes--

Brilliant.----Good luck---Mike---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
Pro

Mike, I have install some new construction windows at trade school.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 85

There is a differance between installing some windows at trade school and in the real world. At trade school I bet you had someone to help guide you through. I'm not saying you can't but somtimes they ain't the easiest things to do. Good Luck in your Quest.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
Pro

I understand, I really dont wont to get installing windows just yet, because replacement windows are not the same as new construction windows.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 500

In my opinion, from my experience in starting two companys the first one being a complete failure. It has allot to do with your start up capitol. If your mowing lawns to buy tools you definetly dont want to start a commercial company.
And your just a one man show, here you need a builders license to work residential for a home owner. I would think the best place to start out would be for property management companys. Dry wall patches, rekeying locks, cualking, low overhead and faster paying small jobs.
Everyone wants to be there own boss but guys dont realize that carpentry even for a artisan company is not even half the work. I spend more time checking and sending emails and faxes. And writing checks and bidding prints than I do wearing my tools. My younger brother makes a good living as a residential contractor/ superintendant and I would be suprised if hes ever owned a tool belt. But hes got the gift of gab and hes a people person. I do not have these qualitys fortunately the commercial jobs I bid could careless and really only depend on my price and paperwork.
The Following User Says Thank You to detroit687 For This Useful Post:
Gary H (07-03-2011)
Old 07-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
Pro

I forgot to say good luck, And I feel that my few years of holding a forman position was a really a important building block for me.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:27 AM   #9
Nest Home Improvement

Trade: Home improvement simplified!
Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ21 View Post
I am thinking about picking up some punch list carpentry work. I am wondering is trim carpentry, rotten wood replacement, and door & window install a good place to start? I am cutting lawns in the neighborhood to fund the tool buying.
Tools can be borrowed or rented or bought when absolutely needed. The critical key for your success is not buying tools it is in getting and keeping customers. Print some business cards, get a website, place signage for your vehicle, pick up the phone and try and get hired as a sub to a siding & window firm.

Good luck to you in your endeavor.

Serving the home improvement needs of the Triangle www.NestHomeImprovement.com

Last edited by carolinahandyma; 07-03-2011 at 05:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinahandyma For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (07-03-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
Thomas J Marino, Inc

Trade: Custom Home Builder/General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinahandyma View Post
Tools can be borrowed or rented or bought when absolutely needed. The critical key for your success is not buying tools it is in getting and keeping customers. Print some business cards, get a website, place signage for your vehicle, pick up the phone and try and get hired as a sub to a siding & window firm.

Good luck to you in your endeavor.
If you insist on going into construction, then I think carolinahandyman has the right advice.

But I think you may want to hold on to the lawn cutting business. I know alot of "landscapers" who have made alot of money. The liability is much less and if you doing a cash business, you can keep alot more of your income. JMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to thomasjmarino For This Useful Post:
carolinahandyma (07-03-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
Pro

I am mowing lawns for income, it never hurts to make money.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 490

Make sure you tell all your lawn care customers you specialize in home repairs and finish carpentry, since they know and trust you, it may land you something.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 13,090

Quote:
I am wondering is trim carpentry, rotten wood replacement, and door & window install a good place to start?
NO it's notGet your self in a framing crew on a fresh slab in june humping lumber all day long You need to learn from guys with experience! You need to be barked at when you do dumb chitIt builds character. Plus how you gonna put crap back together wihtout building skills
Jaws (07-17-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: all carpentry

CJ21 i am not been smart but you will want to get moving you are in your 20s you are eager to work yes ? , well when i was starting out i worked for nothing at the weekends to learn the trade , a young lad on my team he is working for a contractor for about 120 euro a week and the deal is he will qualify and have 4 years experience as a carpenter its short term pain for long term gain , so go to a contractor and do some type of deal like that it might help you
Old 07-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #15
Pro

I would like to work for a contractor first, but I have try to get a job with a contractor for two years with no sucess. So thats why I am going to try carpentry work on my own.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by darr1 View Post
well when i was starting out i worked for nothing
Yea there's a good ideago work for nothing, in fact you could pay the contractor to let you hump his wood around all day long
moorewarner (07-03-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
I would like to work for a contractor first, but I have try to get a job with a contractor for two years with no sucess. So thats why I am going to try carpentry work on my own.
If this is really want you want to do then move to where the housing market is doing good.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #18
Pro

I wish I could, but cant afford a move at the momment! Things will get better!
Old 07-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: all carpentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
Yea there's a good ideago work for nothing, in fact you could pay the contractor to let you hump his wood around all day long
well over here in ireland in the 80s things were bad i wanted to be a carpenter so to get a heads up i worked the weekends for nothing , it was only my time and it gave me the confidence and experience that i wanted , times a tough and CJ could work with a contractor on trial on a lower wage to gain the experience he needs , you would let someone into your home with no experience to do work ?
Old 07-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 490

Quote:
Originally Posted by darr1

well over here in ireland in the 80s things were bad i wanted to be a carpenter so to get a heads up i worked the weekends for nothing , it was only my time and it gave me the confidence and experience that i wanted , times a tough and CJ could work with a contractor on trial on a lower wage to gain the experience he needs , you would let someone into your home with no experience to do work ?
There's always someone willing to take a chance to save a few bucks for someone they trust with less experience. Trust me I did it taking on paint jobs and repairs at age 19 with little experience.. confidence is key..and not botching the job obviously haha

Advertisement