Starting A Business - Business - Contractor Talk

Starting A Business

Old 07-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
NYcontrctr

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 10

Starting A Business

Hello everyone,
New to this forum, Im just about ready to start my own general contracting business in nyc. I have experience in construction however I have little knowledge of the business aspect. I am looking to take construction jobs and sub out the trades.

Here are some questions I need to address:

1.What type of corporation I should create, s-corp, c-corp, LLC, etc...

2.what kind of insurance I should have and about how much it is going to cost.

3.Also, If I take home improvement jobs, do I have to have a home improvement license or just the sub-contractor.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

Re: Starting A Business

Welcome to the site. Use the search button up top and spend a year reading, your questions have been answered a few hundred times.

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2007, 11:13 PM   #3
NYcontrctr

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 10

Doug,
I have searched this site extensively and have not found a single thread with information about becoming a paper GC. But thanks for looking out for the entire community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2007, 11:27 PM   #4
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOBK1124 View Post
Doug,
I have searched this site extensively and have not found a single thread with information about becoming a paper GC. But thanks for looking out for the entire community.
That's because there is not much talk about "paper GC's". The other topics are discussed often enough. I wasn't attempting to be an asss, just informing you of the search option.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:11 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOBK1124 View Post
Doug,
Based on your original questions, I did three searches -

corporation type - 23 threads found

insurance type - 8 pages of threads found

new york license requirement - 2 threads found

Not sure what your extensive searches were but those were some pretty basic search terms that took me 12 seconds to run...

I'd say lose the attitude and lurk for a couple of months - you might find what you're looking for.

Mac