Spreadsheet Or Quickbooks For Orders, Estimates, Labor Etc. - Business - Contractor Talk

Spreadsheet Or Quickbooks For Orders, Estimates, Labor Etc.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:42 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Drywall, Modulars, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 172

Spreadsheet Or Quickbooks For Orders, Estimates, Labor Etc.

I mainly do complete remodels so the material is usually pretty standard. I'm thinking of creating some sort of a spreadsheet or quickbooks system that would kill several birds with one stone...

1. It would work as a checklist when walking a job for an estimate. IE Ceiling fans X4, Receps X43, Flushmount light fixture X5 etc.

2. It could also talley my per unit price THAT I CHARGE at the bottom and It would also serve as my actual estimate to my customers. (of course I would remove some of the other spaces for the sake of the estimate.)

3. It would generate the sku from home depot (or lowes) for each product I choose which would also in turn act as a sheet to email my home depot guy to have them pull my materials so I dont need to spend half a morning doing it myself. Which would also in turn let them put it on a truck and deliver it for less money then I feel my time is worth.

4. It would generate a "per labor cost" for each item. IE one ceiling fan installed at a rate of 40 minutes at $X per hour X's 4 ceiling fans = $x, this way I could have a total estimated labor cost at the bottom for labor. Then pay a peicework amount per item.

5. It would also generate my total cost for materials at the bottom. To also help control costs and compare to labor etc.

Has anyone does this before and which would be the best approach?

Of course I am always happy to hear any other ideas I may have overlooked.

Thanks, Kev

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #2

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 18

Re: Spreadsheet Or Quickbooks For Orders, Estimates, Labor Etc.

Hey Kev,

It looks like the easiest and cheapest way you could do this is with spreadsheets. What I would do in your case is make a template that can easily be worked with.

The best way is to have multiple reference sheets set up that you'll be retrieving your data from. Let me give you a really simplified example.

Let's say all you're doing is drywall. You take your measurements and figure out how many panels you need. On your first sheet you'll have a column for product names and a column for amount. So let's say you need 100 panels. On your second sheet you'll have a database of all the materials you use and a reference to everything you need, so X amount of screws, Y amount of compound, etc. and all of their costs to you. That'll generate your third sheet which you'll use for home depot, listing the skus and amounts. The fourth sheet is where you'll list your labor costs and finally the fifth sheet will be your job estimate with everything added together and lumped into useful groups so you don't overload your customers with too much information.

This is definitely a big undertaking especially considering you do remodels but it's the right move in my experience. It'll save a ton of time.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to lumpygiant For This Useful Post:
A+ Texture (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Drywall, Modulars, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 172

Re: Spreadsheet Or Quickbooks For Orders, Estimates, Labor Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpygiant View Post
Hey Kev,

It looks like the easiest and cheapest way you could do this is with spreadsheets. What I would do in your case is make a template that can easily be worked with.

The best way is to have multiple reference sheets set up that you'll be retrieving your data from. Let me give you a really simplified example.

Let's say all you're doing is drywall. You take your measurements and figure out how many panels you need. On your first sheet you'll have a column for product names and a column for amount. So let's say you need 100 panels. On your second sheet you'll have a database of all the materials you use and a reference to everything you need, so X amount of screws, Y amount of compound, etc. and all of their costs to you. That'll generate your third sheet which you'll use for home depot, listing the skus and amounts. The fourth sheet is where you'll list your labor costs and finally the fifth sheet will be your job estimate with everything added together and lumped into useful groups so you don't overload your customers with too much information.

This is definitely a big undertaking especially considering you do remodels but it's the right move in my experience. It'll save a ton of time.
Curious though, why not have everything on the first sheet under diferernt columns?

The lady that does my receipts each month suggested using Quickbooks which isnt neccessarily a bad Idea but I think the spreadsheet would be more funtional. The downside is QB comes with a monthly fee.