Smaller WC Policy - Business - Contractor Talk

Smaller WC Policy

Old 01-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,222

Smaller WC Policy

any tips on finding a company to provide smaller WC policy's-that is a smaller minimum (which is based on projected payroll).

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
Project Manager

Trade: Project Manager
Rewards Points: 2,016

Re: Smaller WC Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4 View Post
any tips on finding a company to provide smaller WC policy's-that is a smaller minimum (which is based on projected payroll).
With WC, if this is your attempt at getting it for the first time, you are pretty much stuck with the state (if your state offers WC coverage) or whatever provider will cover you - and subsequently paying whatever they charge.

Usually, with WC, getting the chance to shop it around will be based on 1. your payment history; 2. amount of claims (this needs to be 0); 3. payroll

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Did you try State Fund to see the lowest base they will write? Otherwise just hit the phones, WC is real hard for the new guys starting out, they are ruthless with there premiums, and most of the customer service is horrible. I have been with State Fund for 30 years and protect my policy to the bitter end, it is so hard to replace these older policies. GMOD

Old 01-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,006

We are with State Fund also. I seem to remember that they asked me to predict our payroll for the first year and set up our policy based on that. We did have quarterly audits that first year and they made adjustments along the way.

Cooke is right about the claims. We had a good sized one when our guy slid of a roof. We took a huge hit on premiums after that and it took 5 years for them to gradually settle back to near normal.

On a related note: Our annual audit in Nov. revealed our payroll was way down. Now there's a surprise! I asked them not to change the policy for this year based on that. We will get a nice fat credit that should cover most of our balance this year, and that's appreciated. But I wouldn't want the surprise adjustment next fall if they lowered our payroll base and then things improve as I think they will.

Good Luck
Dave
Old 01-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Outdoor D/B
Rewards Points: 1,028

If you use a payroll service like paychex, use them for WC. They can take the money out every week.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

What always pissed me off about State Fund was the assesment. If you had a big year, the following year you would have to come up with the same premium. If you ended up having half the payrole, SF would use your money, and credit you back slowly .GMOD
Old 01-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskent View Post
If you use a payroll service like paychex, use them for WC. They can take the money out every week.
Pay as you go. I would love that. It ends all the hassles of audits and adjustments. We use ADP for payroll and their carriers have pretty low cut offs that eliminates covering most contractors. Otherwise we would go that route. (No framing, roofing, anything over 12 ft. off the ground, etc.)

Good Luck
Dave
Old 01-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
Contractor

I just checked the web and Intuit is now offereing pay as you go WC through The Hartford. I'll look into pricing next week and report back

Gene-Delaware doesn't have a state run WC fund, we have to use private insureres. I currently have a policy, just looking around the payroll for employees isn't nearly what it was originally projected at 2 years ago.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

this takes care of employers portions of FICA, SS, Medicare. week to week, pay as you go, workers' comp coverage. no more quarterly fed and state umemployment reports. no year end workers comp audits. PEO assumes all employer liability because they are the employer of record for you/your employees thru the co-employment arrangement. i have several different companies that offer this arrangement, you can contact me at 352.427.1665 or [email protected] www . osstaffleasing . com
Old 01-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #10
Contractor

I placed a call to The Hartford regarding pay as you go WC to integrate w/ Quickcbooks. There is a $270 annual fee and the rate for interior carpentry is $9.83/year....that's a lot better than the $15.65/100 I'm paying with FirstComp.

So, 10% rate is quite a bit better than 15%. What rate are you guys paying?
Old 01-25-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
New Guy

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 10

well as u all know wc is ins. and we all know ins. is a scam, here in ohio it is state agency and in the flooring my rates dropped a lil this year to 7.8softgoods and 9.3 hard goods, i should send them a thank you card after 6 years no claims, i pay every 6 months when i do my payroll reports, now the self coverage is where they will get u if ur not careful,good luck

Advertisement