Signs Of A Downturn - Business - Contractor Talk

Signs Of A Downturn

Old 06-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: gc
Rewards Points: 72

Signs Of A Downturn

Any carpenter/GC-types who have been through an econ cycle/downturn in the past have strong opinions about whether evidence or "a bad feeling" about an economy headed for the crapper appears first in residential (new builds/remods) or commercial? I realize that experiences vary tremendously across geography, markets, etc. I'm just trying to get a general sense.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 12:59 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 33,622

Re: Signs Of A Downturn

If you have a "feeling" there's going to be a downturn, operate under the auspices that it will happen and prepare for it... get rid of debt (both personal and business), build Capital Reserves/Emergency/Equipment Fund(s)... if your feeling doesn't translate into actual conditions, you'll be in a better position than if you hadn't prepared, and if it does, you'll be prepared for any downturn and be able to weather it better...

Downturns eventually happen no matter how good any economy is... but when you start seeing less jobs available than there are those to be employed (the opposite of today's conditions) that's one flag...

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
New Guy

Trade: gc
Rewards Points: 72

Thanks, KAP, and I agree with you say. I'm just wondering where downturns typically hit first--residential or commercial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
Pro

The widest market... residential... commercial can sometimes be misleading because it tends to think through downturns strategically...

Residential growth supports commercial growth from an economic standpoint...

But a bigger question is which part of the country does it originate because it catches hold...

Last edited by KAP; 06-02-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,662

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
But a bigger question is which part of the country does it originate because it catches hold...

More often than not, the last big boom area, typically takes a very hard or hardest hit in a true down turn.

Residential vs commercial, have to watch for where the greatest speculation building is. Spec ventures ALWAYS end up using borrowed or others money to fund. Almost guaranteed, when those levels hit highs and sustain for a bit. A often bubble arises. One where there is not enough demand for all the units the speculators built and continue to build. And they can not repay the debt to the creditors or screw the investors, becasue the units are selling (or renting) for them to pay the creditors. People freak out and the bottoms drops out. Because the too easy-cheap money from credit disappears... to cover the lenders or investors losses.

No way to tell for sure, but when everything is going gangbusters, that's a good time to get your chit in order, pay off debt, bank profit (or raise your rates to make profit) and invest very carefully for the long term. No get rich schemes and don't do anything with money you can't afford to lose.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:02 PM   #6
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 17,758

Booms dying of old age is a misnomer. Historically booms last much longer than a downturn.

Mike.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #7
GC/carpenter

If I could survive the last recession unscathed, not sure how another will take me out. I actually believe I picked up market share from the last downturn, due culling of the herd.

Mike.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:01 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,648

Downturns can be great times to pick up market share.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:36 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Downturns can be great times to pick up market share.
IF you're prepared to weather it...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (06-03-2019), hdavis (06-03-2019), Jaws (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 07:02 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,384

And more so if your clientele is unaffected.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (06-03-2019), KAP (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #11
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 4,620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
If I could survive the last recession unscathed, not sure how another will take me out. I actually believe I picked up market share from the last downturn, due culling of the herd.

Mike.

The bigger you are the bigger the hit you take gennerally from what I have seen in the last 20 years. It was a short slow down right after I got out of high school and a pretty good one between 2010 and 2012. Running one crew I stayed working everyday from 2008 through the recession. Running three superintendents and some office staff I will probably have to be prepared to lose big chunk of capital during that time. Or give up personnel which I basically would have to start over again afterwards if I did that.

My old boss was about twice the size I am now before the recession, didn't make any money for 4 years during the recession but kept his staff and took over double the market share when it came back. You got to be willing to spend quarters to pick up dollars in the custom home business

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

John

Last edited by Jaws; 06-03-2019 at 11:25 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (06-03-2019), hdavis (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #12
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
IF you're prepared to weather it...
Yep. I'm taking some risks right now, if a legit downturn hits in the next 25 months it will suck, if a perfect storm hits in the next two years I will lose some assets..... Lol. If it doesn't hit within two years than I should make it no matter what, 9 years from now I won't give a **** if there's a downturn not if I get passed the two years. I'll just sit at the house or go fishing/hubting. Or I'll be working at Home Depot maybe. Who knows LOL

John

Last edited by Jaws; 06-03-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #13
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 7,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Yep. Size helps a lot with that too besides working for wealthy people.

The bigger you are the bigger the hit you take gennerally from what I have seen in the last 20 years. .........
yup
Old 06-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,648

Definitely Home Depot.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Jaws (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #15
The Sheriff

Something I would say that you should look for as indicators, that I didn't think to mention earlier, bankers and Lumberyard managers. I talk to the lumber yard manager pretty regular pricing out materials Etc. I eat lunch with my bank president at least once a month. I eat lunch with the president of the other major Bank in town once every other month or quarter or so, used to be my loan officer at my bank. I opened a savings account there just so I can say I'm a customer. LOL. Sometimes more.

They know before anyone else except Architects if it's slowing down. Architects is too volatile, it could just be local Architects are slow but you're still getting stuff in from Houston and Dallas cetera. The lumber yard and the bank will know before everybody else if it is slowing down.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 04:37 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Builder/Renovator
Rewards Points: 456

Quote:
Booms dying of old age is a misnomer. Historically booms last much longer than a downturn.

Mike.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:27 PM   #17
GC/carpenter

What ‘Expansions Don’t Die of Old Age’ Really Means

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...responsive%3Dy

Age has nothing to do with what causes a recession or an economic boom. In other words There's no logical reason to believe just because we've been booming for x amount of time we are likely to have a recession soon. Age isn't a factor.

Mike.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Builder/Renovator
Rewards Points: 456

Quote:
What ‘Expansions Don’t Die of Old Age’ Really Means

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...responsive%3Dy

Age has nothing to do with what causes a recession or an economic boom. In other words There's no logical reason to believe just because we've been booming for x amount of time we are likely to have a recession soon. Age isn't a factor.

Mike.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to EricBrancard For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (06-03-2019)