Setting Up Product Books For Sales Calls - Business - Contractor Talk

Setting Up Product Books For Sales Calls

Old 04-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 14

Setting Up Product Books For Sales Calls

So I want to start working on putting together product samples to bring with me on sales calls. (Roof colors, floor coverings, siding,windows, things of that nature)
Where do I go to obtain these things on a permanent basis. I know I can borrow them from a couple of my suppliers, but they generally want them back pretty quick, making it an extra drive to return them, not an issue if I sell the job, but if I don't its just an extra trip. Also, when those samples are already out with another contractor, I'm up the creek without a paddle.

Do I contact manufacturers directly and request my own samples? How much do they generally cost? (ballpark)
I cover a lot of trades, so I'm looking for the most cost effective way to acquire this info without breaking the bank.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Re: Setting Up Product Books For Sales Calls

Shoot I wouldn't pay a dime for that crap. You want me to sell your products? Give me the tools to do so.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to RobertCDF For This Useful Post:
stombaugh85 (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
Tall Moose

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 179

My paint stores give me free fan decks every year. My roofing place gives me a few shingle brochures/sample colours each year.

Like Robert said...If you wan't me to sell your products, give me the tools to do so.

Now, as for selling certain extras, like built in lighting on decks, or railing designs, I keep a bunch of photos on my iPad of extras for use during a sales call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 01:44 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Pole Barn Builder
Rewards Points: 1,419

Supplier and manufacturers are happy to give them away. Request them from suppliers and manufacturers or make an appointment with reps.

For anything not available for free from your supplies contact the manufacturers thru their website.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #5

Trade: Remodeler

thanks for the info guys, Im on it.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 1,418

my builders try to narrow down homeowners to a limited # of selections...for fixtures they give them 3 choices.....90% of people are happy with them.....it makes the sale quick and easy...the other 10% go to one of my supply houses...i get the builder a catalog and some nice printed samples.......Kohler charges $$ for their color swatches...like $50 for their ceramic colors.....im sure they also charge $$ for their faucet colors too.....

i got a set free once as a christmas gift(wow thanks).......

the samples are out there..contact the reps....pay for them if you need to....it will make sales quick and easy.....my guess is some will charge you, some suppliers wont
Old 04-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCDF
Shoot I wouldn't pay a dime for that crap. You want me to sell your products? Give me the tools to do so.
Hell yes, I get display cases after display cases from companies that want me to sell their products. I get free color brochures to hand out in presentation folders too. This is all 100% free, as it should be. Trex even made me 30 sweatshirts and 30 shirts with my logo on the back and a small Trex symbol on the front. They were free as well.

Advertisement