Quickbooks Vs Accountant - Business - Contractor Talk

Quickbooks Vs Accountant

Old 08-14-2019, 04:00 PM   #1

Trade: Deck Installer

Quickbooks Vs Accountant

Hello All, my first post here. I have been reading for months now. I have just opened my own remodel business through an accountant. However I am wondering whether I will continue to need him more then once a year for taxes and if I’m better off just using quickbooks. I am a very small company so revenue and overhead is minimal. What do you guys think?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Landscape contractor
Rewards Points: 420

Re: Quickbooks Vs Accountant

I am a small company as well. I use quickbooks pro for my bookkeeping and an accountant for my year end taxes. It cost me a fortune if i used him for bookkeeping.

Advertisement

http://www.natural-designs.com
Old 08-14-2019, 04:20 PM   #3

Trade: Deck Installer

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing. I’m not really sure how owning a small company like mine will affect my year end personal taxes. We all like those year end checks. That’s the only reason I was thinking of using him. Was quickbooks hard to learn?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 244

Get Quickbooks. If you like learning new computer and software stuff, you can figure it out on your own. If you are like me, from my experience, find someone (to pay) to help you set up your accounts, how it works, writing checks etc. It will take much less time to learn it, and you will be amazed at how simple it can be. You will also find valuable information about your business, how well you are doing, and your Accountant CPA, will be able to better help you.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Landscape contractor
Rewards Points: 420

Quickbooks is pretty simple. Having an understanding of accounting principles helps. I sat down with my accountant, who is familiar with quickbooks, and he guided me thru how to use it. I would recommend doing something like that. I am pretty sure their are classes available.

It really helps to get everything set up correctly from the get go. Can be a pain to go back and fix errors.

http://www.natural-designs.com
Old 09-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #6

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 32

Quickbooks integrates with literally everything. And most major credit card providers like American Express / Visa / MC allow you to automatically import transactions. The time savings is well worth the cost.
Old Today, 06:19 AM   #7
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 3,296

Something to keep in mind is, not everyone who uses Quickbooks is completely aware of the nuisances of accounting itself.

I have seen many say "I use Quickbooks" or "I am learning Quickbooks" but they still do not keep themselves properly organized to know how they are making money, or being prepared for tax season.

I am aware of two companies who target the industry

https://www.infoplusaccounting.com/

https://www.fasteasyaccounting.com/

I personally do not have experience with the companies and do not know enough to discuss differences or prices. But their names have been around for awhile in the consulting industry so perhaps check them out if you are stuck and need professional support, with industry knowledge on top of the generic accounting principles.
Old Today, 06:19 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Builder/Renovator
Rewards Points: 1,116

Quickbooks + Accountant, not Quickbooks vs Accountant.

Advertisement