Possibly Insane Customer - Business - Contractor Talk

Possibly Insane Customer

Old 05-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Baths, basements, carpentry, int.remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

Possibly Insane Customer

How do you determine if a prospective customer has any sanity? I am going to give a customer an estimate for a bath but after meeting her I really believe shes one brick short of a load(maybe 2). Could be wrong but has anyone ever dealt w/someone like that? How could anyone possibly word a contract to make sure that they get paid unpon completion? Ive thought about asking the neighbors about this person, but I guess if I have to do that, I shouldnt be giving her an estimate in the first place. Nevermind, I think I just answered my own question. Seriously, has anyone dealt with someone they thought were nuts-did you get paid?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Est modus in rebus

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Possibly Insane Customer

So, you have met my ex-wife then, huh?

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to UncleBob For This Useful Post:
griz (05-24-2010)
Old 05-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Chuck

Trade: Excavating, Clearing, Underground Utilities
Rewards Points: 506

I would think that someone who thought they wouldn't get paid and did the job anyways was insane. Just kidding, but you get my point right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,164

How many times is your gut wrong?

How many times have you NOT listened to it and got burnt?

If it sounds like a duck, walks like a duck etc........... she is crazy
Old 05-24-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

RUN, FOREST, RUN!!!!!!!! And don't look back. I have had a little experience with a schitzophrenic. There is no explaining or predicting crazy.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
Fire up the BBQ

Rewards Points: 3,018

Hey UncleBob, If it wasn't you're ex it for sure could have been mine.

And charlesmd if the relationship with your client is starting like this and you already think she is nuts just politely state that other work has come along and you wouldn't be able to handle her job in a timely and professional manner.
The Following User Says Thank You to griz For This Useful Post:
UncleBob (05-24-2010)
Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

I tiled a couple of baths for a contractor--in 1998---The customer was seriously nuts. The contractor was paid--and paid well.

She would emerge from a back room somewhere and say," Oh,Mother won't like that!"

Mother was long ago dead---That contractor handled her well--(me-I would not enter the house unless he was there)--Creepy--I have a low tolerance for wack jobs.

---Mike---
Old 05-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 896

Trust your gut! Red flags seem to be quite evident.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeswoods View Post
i tiled a couple of baths for a contractor--in 1998---the customer was seriously nuts. The contractor was paid--and paid well.

She would emerge from a back room somewhere and say," oh,mother won't like that!"

mother was long ago dead---that contractor handled her well--(me-i would not enter the house unless he was there)--creepy--i have a low tolerance for wack jobs.

---mike---
no more wire hangers!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to festerized For This Useful Post:
buddy110 (05-25-2010), PrestigeR&D (05-24-2010)
Old 05-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
Project Manager HFH..

Rewards Points: 2,004

25% PIA factor charge.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
Wood Craftsman

Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Rewards Points: 4,642
Smile

____________. if you are asking yourself "should I talk to the neighbors" ,,,hello
Brian
Old 05-24-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 896

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeR&D View Post
____________. if you are asking yourself "should I talk to the neighbors" ,,,hello
Brian
True, you wouldn't want that little conversation getting back to the HO.
RUN!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #13
Wood Craftsman

Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Rewards Points: 4,642
Exclamation

could be ,,, they are slightly nuttier than the client,,
Brian
Old 05-25-2010, 12:14 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Just double the price and load the pay schedule properly that if things are not paid you are not behind and you can leave the project unfinished.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:58 AM   #15
Est modus in rebus

I guess if we are to take this thread seriously, someone needs to ask... what is it that makes you think your HO is nutty? what behavior is she exhibiting? - folks are all different and sometimes what is nutty to us can be normal to others, you know what I am saying; just because an old woman with a glass-eye dresses like a pirate, clucks like a chicken, and has a cat called Mr Johnstone which she treats as a surrogate for her dead husband, doesn't mean the woman does not need, cannot afford and will not pay for the benefit of your excellent service

The question is- is this client dependable and will she honor her end of the contract? who knows she might be an eccentric billionaire. Yes, follow your gut... as has been mentioned. But on reflection (unless the nuttiness is just too weird) I think I might just try being a bit nutty back at her and tell her you always take references on new clients from their previous contractors, ask her what other projects she has done in the last couple of years and who was the contractor, then phone them and ask how things went...

Or, maybe you are on to NEXT already
Old 05-25-2010, 02:42 AM   #16

Trade: Insulation

I did an attic upgrade for a lady that was nuts once. All I could think was, thank god I'm in the attic away from her, and I'll be gone in an hour.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:44 AM   #17
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

Crazy people are hard gauge sometimes. I had gig where the HO complained about EVERYTHING but was more than willing to pay for having it fixed. Kind of a funny story..

I had to run a couple of HDMI cables through her finished basement and had to cut a couple of dime-sized holes in the ceiling to fish the wires. I discussed this ahead of time with the husband and he was cool with it but the crazy wife beat him home that day, saw what I was doing, flipped out and then demanded that I give her a price on patching it up. I tried to explain to her that it was part of the job and the patchwork was included in the price.

She cut me off and said, "That's not acceptable!" and went to get her checkbook. While she is sitting on her sofa mumbling and cursing, she blurted out, "Here! $400! Is that enough or will it cost me more?!" and I tried to answer her again but she kept insisting that I am trying to avoid patching the holes. So I took her check, then I stirred up a small batch of Durabond 20 (as I originally intended to do) and once the holes were filled, smoothed off, and painted. She was a happy customer again.. and I had an extra $400 for keeping my mouth shut.

So while I was finishing my connections in the closet, the handyman shows up and from the time he walks through the door, she's griping and complaining about cracks in the window trim and a slow bathroom drain and a few other things that aren't supposed to happen in a new house. And about 5 minutes later I realize that the handyman is dishing it back out at her. By the time he leaves, her mental state returned back to normal again.
Out of all of the work that I've ever done in that house, I ended up making more money from her drama than I made from doing the actual work.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #18
Hardhead

Trade: Drywall Hanger
Rewards Points: 250

We did a reno for a guy who was nuts. His quart sized bottle of Prozac was in plain view. Our buddy lined this one up so we were into it before we were aware of this. The guy literally caught his head on fire with 2 tins of black powder while we stood in disbelief,then rolled on the ground in hysterics.His wife actually screamed in my face and blamed us!!! We took a big beating on the job but our "buddy" went back and finished the last tiny bit of work and got the check. I know he didn't mean to rip us off...he fell down and stuck it to us....and I accidentally got him busted when I tripped on a shadow and told a husband whose wife the "buddy" was banging all about her 'girls night out'....ooops
Old 05-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Painting & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 502

Stay in this business long enough and you're going to run into a couple of them. Worst I ever had was an attorney's wife...just plain psychotic. Everyday I hated going to the job site, and everyday I swore up and down I wasn't going to start drinking again. LOL.

Her husband turned out to be a real piece of cake too. Didnt stick to the payment schedule, always came up with some legal mumbo-jumbo. Little did he know that my Bro-in-law, who lived 4 houses down, was a lawyer who specialized in business law. When the attorney customer refused to "catch up" according to the schedule he said he could take a few months to pick my contract apart, I took the contract to my Bro-in-law, asked him to look it over. The next day he stopped by the job site just as the HO was leaving and told me the contract was legal binding and should be as he designed it for me. Funny thing.....I got my check within 10 minutes.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Baths, basements, carpentry, int.remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

Thanks for the replies, think I will stay away from this one. Works been good so I think I will move on.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to charlesmd For This Useful Post:
UncleBob (05-25-2010)