Payroll Services - Business - Contractor Talk

Payroll Services

Old 01-16-2015, 11:14 PM  
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,185

Payroll Services

I've been speaking with paychex and adp for taking care of payroll for myself and single employee.

I want a service that handles all of the taxes, unemployment, filings, etc. both companies seem to fit the bill. I want to do nothing more than key the hours. I need a hands off service because I simply don't have the time.

Can anyon share comments or experiences with either of them?

Any questions I need to ask them, or my accountant?

Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2015, 07:20 AM  
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 3,064

Re: Payroll Services

My accountant does my payroll. I just call in the hours and pick up the checks. They take care of all taxes, bwc, unemployment, etc etc. I like using local. When questions pop up I can just go to them.

I am unfamiliar with the payroll services you mention.

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2015, 07:55 AM  
Pro

Trade: Home Builder
Rewards Points: 657

I use Intuit's payroll services (I do not use Q-Books) for my 6 employees. I enter employee's salary and hours (for hourly employees), the service then directly deposits their salary into their bank account. Employees love it, they don't have to make trip to their bank to deposit their checks. Withholdings are calculated and deducted from my business account. They take care of all governmental filings, quarterly and annual, including issuing W-2's.

I can and do payroll from my iPhone, takes about 45 seconds. My CPA is not involved at all in my payroll.
CENTERLINE MV (01-18-2015), TxElectrician (01-17-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2015, 07:57 AM  
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

I do it all myself for 8 guys and takes less than an hour a month total for everything.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:18 AM  
Pro

Trade: Slate& Tile Roofing/Exterior Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,848

I use a local payroll service.--- I phone in the hours once a week, they do everything else.
Typically I phone in the hours every sunday morning--- or monday morning if I forgot sunday- and the checks arrive in the mail tuesday.

I am not as smart as Bam--- so I couldn't possibly do it in the time it takes him---- but even if i could , it would still be costing me more money to do it myself.

It's REALLY inexpensive..
stephen

One of my guys( apprentice) is in the process of buying a house--- needed some info--- payroll service put together a bunch of stuff for him for free.

last year another employee bought a house--needed a bunch of info--- payroll service did the same thing for HIM as well.

some things it's just better to job out ,and spend your time on your OWN specialty.
Stephen
Old 01-17-2015, 10:22 AM  

Trade: Consultant
Rewards Points: 200

I've used Paychex and currently use ADP. Both are very easy to set up and run payroll. I use them because they offer "pay as you go" workers comp and 401K plans.

With Paychex they called me once a week to input payroll. With ADP, I use their iPhone app and it's just easier for me. I didn't like to have to drop what I was doing to do payroll over the phone. With the app, I can do payroll anytime.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:26 AM  
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

I don't find it complicated. Its as simple as entering hours in QuickBooks and pressing print. Then I transfer money from my main bank account to a second one just for paying taxes.

When I was quoted out on it, I remember it being well over $100 a month.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:03 PM  
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,262

i use onpay.com 40 bucks a month for unlimited runs. They handle everything filing, etc. All web based. ADP and paychex are ok too, but i think they cost a bit more. I use the direct deposit for my guys and its the easiest thing to do.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:33 PM  
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,185

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovtContractor View Post
I've used Paychex and currently use ADP. Both are very easy to set up and run payroll. I use them because they offer "pay as you go" workers comp and 401K plans.

With Paychex they called me once a week to input payroll. With ADP, I use their iPhone app and it's just easier for me. I didn't like to have to drop what I was doing to do payroll over the phone. With the app, I can do payroll anytime.
I will have to see if paychex has an app yet. That keeps it simple vs calling.

ADP doesn't offer WC for me in PA, they will only do specific trades, not general contracting. I'm shopping that locally.

I was quoted around $25/$30 per pay cycle. It only goes up a few dollars for adding additional people.

One thing I do like about paychex is that they have a local rep, rather than dealing with a call center.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:32 AM  
Pro

Trade: Residential remodel
Rewards Points: 356

I use a local payroll company. They take care of taxes and workers comp.
I call in the hours on thursday and it is automatically deducted from my account and deposited in employees usually the next day. Paychex was quite a bit higher when I was shopping around.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:49 AM  
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 560

My payroll company handles wc, unemployment, all quarterly filings, hiring compliance,human resources, employee hand books, etc. I do all of my own bookkeeping and tax filing, so having them lightens my paper load. All paycheck are direct deposit and employees have access to their info online. Just the savings I get in time and comp covers what I pay.

Last edited by Warren; 01-18-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:15 AM  
Joseph A. Capece

Trade: Builder - General
Rewards Points: 1,432

I also use Intuit Payroll. Their customer service is top notch.

Advertisement

Commercial/Residential - Additions - Renovations

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: