Paying Employee's To Travel - Business - Contractor Talk

Paying Employee's To Travel

Old 09-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
Mark

Trade: Marine Construction - Docks and Boat Lifts
Rewards Points: 332

Paying Employee's To Travel

We have a small marine construction business (docks, lifts, and seawalls). Everyone meets at the shop in the morning, loads material and drives a company vehicle to the job, works a 10 hr day, 4 days a week. We make up rain days on Friday if needed.

For those of you with a similar arrangement, are you paying your employee's to drive to AND from the job-sites or does their time start/stop when they arrive at and leave the job-site?

A few months ago we switched to paying them for their time loading and driving to the job-site but not their time riding back to the shop when their day is done unless that time exceeds 30 minutes. So if it took 1 hr to get back we're only deducting half that. Most jobs are within that 30 minute drivetime window but we occasionally work on other lakes.

Thank you in advance.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 1,418

Re: Paying Employee's To Travel

if they are starting work at shop and loading materials then i would expect to be paid from that point....you cant have them clock in, then clock out to drive, then clock back in again

i carpool with my employee sometimes, but no work is done until we get to the jobsite...i dont pay until we get to the jobsite.....if i had him loading tools/materials up before we got to the jobsite id pay him when he starts working-loading tools

i dont see a grey area here....i think your employees would be suckers to clock in,out and in again every day----i wouldnt

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to huggytree For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (09-24-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Structural & Misc. Steel
Rewards Points: 164

Here's another thread from a couple weeks about this subject:

http://www.contractortalk.com/f5/tra...me-pay-152498/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

[QUOTE=huggytree;2098019]if they are starting work at shop and loading materials then i would expect to be paid from that point....you cant have them clock in, then clock out to drive, then clock back in again

i carpool with my employee sometimes, but no work is done until we get to the jobsite...i dont pay until we get to the jobsite.....if i had him loading tools/materials up before we got to the jobsite id pay him when he starts working-loading tools

i dont see a grey area here....i think your employees would be suckers to clock in,out and in again every day----i wouldnt[/QUOTE

+1 If my employees are required to come to the shop before and after,they get paid for that time.If they are required to meet on the jobsite that's on their time to get there unless it's a good distance.Then I consider paying them some time.
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (09-24-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 346

Same as above.

Start at the shop clock in, clock out when the work day is done at the shop.
If they drive to the job site in their own vehicle pay starts at that time to the time the work day is done and they leave the job site.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1985gt For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (09-24-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

If they have to drive the truck back to the shop in the evening, they're still on your time, and in many if not most if not all states it would be a wage violation not to pay them for that time.
66 Shelby (09-24-2014), Calidecks (09-26-2014), Framer53 (09-24-2014), HardWorks (09-23-2014), JAH (09-30-2014), mikeswoods (09-24-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

I pay them from the time we leave the shop in the morning (if we go to the shop) or when they get to the job to the time we leave to job, but they take the trucks home
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlsconstruction For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (09-23-2014), donerightwyo (09-30-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Accountant/Builder
Rewards Points: 165

I think you are required to pay them from when you leave the shop or from the time you require them to show up at the shop. If you don't, it only takes one pissed off employee to call the wage and hour people and they perform an audit and make you pay back wages for all employees who did not get paid for drive time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marven For This Useful Post:
HardWorks (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

My employees usually meet me on the job no reason for them to go to the shop so they get payed from the time the job starts.If I do need them to come to the shop for some reason then they are paid from the time they show up at the shop and the time it takes them to drive from shop to job.
I don't generally have a reason for them to come to the shop in the morning.I guess it would be different for a service company.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: concrete, deco concrete, site work and masonry
Rewards Points: 230

If they're doing something for the company, I'm paying them. It cost of doing business. 7am start at the job. 330 or overtime after that. I have foreman or myself to be at the shop and run things out. Its planning and cost effective to do this. If the job is over 100 miles from the shop they have an option of per diem. It is fair and I have good men because of it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HardWorks For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (09-24-2014), gfourth (09-23-2014), Jaws (09-24-2014), Kolbym (09-26-2014), NJGC (09-23-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 06:55 AM   #11
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

From an employee morale standpoint, it is not a good idea to clock someone out simply because they are technically "not working" while they are subject to your "command" (for lack of a better way to put it).

It would be one thing if they had to come in, load their trucks, and then they were free to do whatever they wanted to do between the time they left the office and the time whenever they decided to get on site.

But because they are expected to go straight to the site from the office and they have no choice in the matter, they are under your direction and thus, they are "working".
66 Shelby (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #12
Mark

Trade: Marine Construction - Docks and Boat Lifts
Rewards Points: 332

Thank you all for our responses. It seems only fair to reinstate paying them to travel back to the shop. We are going to install a time clock here for them to clock in and out. We met this morning with everyone and they seemed pleased with the change and they actually suggested a time clock. We'll see how it goes.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Brick/Stone Mason
Rewards Points: 1,286

We start at 7am so I pay the guys from 7 am, they finish when they leave the job site plus half hour extra, ( e.g if they leave at 5 I will pay till 5.30) this is for the unloading or loading of materials for the next day. They also drive the company trucks home.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 38,378

Why would you think them loading your vehicle and then driving in your vehicle to a jobsite wouldn't be on your dime?

If you don't want to pay them for that time, then load the truck yourself, and have them meet you at the jobsite...

You can't find many other ways to save money IMHO...
Old 09-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: home remodeling
Rewards Points: 89

I pay from the time they get to the shop and then when they leave the job. Most jobs are within 5-10 miles from the shop. I don't care if they stop and pick up dinner on the way home since they are not on my time. I also let them take the trucks to work on their homes over a weekend.

I used to pay till the truck was dropped off but I noticed 2 employees that would take a very long time to get back and always blamed it on traffic. Come to find out they were stopping at a diner on my time. My wife saw the truck in the parking lot. So they are both gone and I changed my ways. My employees think it is fair. I give them extra if we had to go far also.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:41 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: General Contractors/Specialty Contractors
Rewards Points: 952

We meet at the shop at 5:30-5:45, I get there about 5, time starts at 7:00 ends at 3:30, unless working late. Most of our work is an hour drive. Now it is not mandatory, but most guys prefer it because they ride in company truck and therefore pay no fuel and we have a pretty nice coffee set up, so free coffee also. If for some reason they have to load a bunch of stuff and don't get to the jobsite until 8-9, there time still starts at 7. Some guys just go straight to jobsite from home. Some guys also hang around the shop for an hour or so after work quite often.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:44 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: General Contractors/Specialty Contractors
Rewards Points: 952

Seems like most of our work is out of town though the last few years.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #18
Contractor

Trade: Trim and Light Remodel
Rewards Points: 228

Employee viewpoint: If I'm on your time, under your schedule, your direction, I should be getting paid. I think it's nonsense to expect employees to give their time for free to work/ride/sit around while decisions are being made. Would you do the same? Tell them to be here at this time and I will start paying you when you get here. If that's an hour from their home that is their decision to work for you or not. Better yet tell them I'll pay you to drive an hour... If you can't afford that you're not charging enough for the job. I may be wrong though, I'm just small time:-)
Old 09-26-2014, 09:25 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Carpentry/Exterior Renovations
Rewards Points: 46

I'm an employee, pick up work van Mon at shop, 6:30 . I'm clocked in, drive 2 hrs to job site I'm on the clock. End of the day I clock out when I sit in the van and drive home.

Next day I drive co. van from my home 1 hr plus I clock in when I arrive onsite.

Years ago when I drove my own truck, i would get paid mileage anything over 28 miles (distance from my house to shop). If the job was 40 miles , I got paid 12 [email protected] whatever the hell fed rate was.
You can't expect an employee to do anything co. related and not be clocked in.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 38,378

Think of it this way... if you were a lawyer, and your admin asst. met you at the office to gather files and had to travel with you to a deposition, would it be your position the admin asst shouldn't be paid for the time there and back to the office?...

No different...

Advertisement