Opening New HVAC Business...little Feedback - Business - Contractor Talk

Opening New HVAC Business...little Feedback

Old 05-18-2018, 04:02 AM   #1

Trade: HVAC

Opening New HVAC Business...little Feedback

Hi guys , I’ve been reading these boards for months and finally signed up. I really appreciate all of the help you guys provide to those in need.

First a little backstory about me and my family. My family has been in the HVAC business for about 30 years now.

My father started the family business in Mexico in 1986. The business sells exclusively Trane products and the company has grown to be one of the top 10 Trane distributors in Mexico.

My dad always planned on expanding to the United States (San Diego ) but he unfortunately passed away last year. We have been running the family business in Mexico but are now looking to expand in San Diego and continue his legacy.

I am not actively involved in the business since I have a full time career with a government agency. However , I do plan to help and assist in the US operation. My goal is to use my disabled veteran small business designation to get into government contracts in the future maybe in 5 years.

We have narrowed or search to a few small industrial offices and are working on the English version of our website. We plan to use a SEO marketing firm to assist with advertising.

Our first issue appears to be the famous C-20 license required to install AC units in California. We are currently evaluating the RME/RMO model to see if that’s feasible.

Does anyone know an SME/SMO who is interested in joining our company ? We would love to hire an SME who can help wirh installs and oversea the projects.

My question to you guys is ,how many HVAC technicians do we realistically need during start up ?

We do not want to over hire so I was planning on hiring 1 experienced HVAC lead who can do service/maintenance and installations. Will this suffice for installations?

My plan is to start the business with a spring “tune up $69 “ promotion to get our name out there on Google , FaceBook and Home Advisor during the first 2-3 months so our technician is not just sitting around doing nothing. I plan to start with residential installations/maintenance and then move up to commercial and then government contracting.

Our goal is to become a leading Trane distributor in San Diego like we are in Mexico.

Opinions ? Suggestions ?

All opinions and criticism is appreciated. Thank you guys

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2018, 07:00 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General and Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,768

Re: Opening New HVAC Business...little Feedback

Two words - service contracts. Start slow, do excellent work and build on your reputation. A good HVAC company can actually be sold when you decide to exit unlike most construction companies...

Advertisement