One For The Good Guys - Business - Contractor Talk

One For The Good Guys

Old 09-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
pro

Trade: Capenter/ Remodeler
Rewards Points: 768

One For The Good Guys

Last week I was working the sales process on a full bathroom remodel. I gave my price and they had there questions on the scope of work and a few other small questions no big deal. They wanted to talk to the insurance company to see if any of the water damage could be covered and it couldn't.

I get an email a few days later that they got another quote and it was 3 thousand less than mine. However she really wanted to use our company but wanted us to find ways to cut costs lol. At this point I was think here is another one I lost to a hack!!!

So I replied that we could change the tile shower to a one piece unit and save you 750 dollars. And gave her the we don't do cheap crap speech and left it at that. I get a call this morning that she wanted me to do it and that she wanted the original tile shower to boot.

Moral of the story stand firm, have a good sales plan.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to country_huck For This Useful Post:
BigW (09-20-2012), CScalf (12-20-2012), dkillianjr (09-20-2012), Heritage (09-21-2012), popagorgio (09-22-2012), Rich D. (09-21-2012), Robie (09-20-2012), rselectric1 (09-20-2012), Spencer (09-21-2012), TimelessQuality (09-20-2012), VinylHanger (09-20-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: interior/exterior
Rewards Points: 402

Re: One For The Good Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_huck View Post
Last week I was working the sales process on a full bathroom remodel. I gave my price and they had there questions on the scope of work and a few other small questions no big deal. They wanted to talk to the insurance company to see if any of the water damage could be covered and it couldn't.

I get an email a few days later that they got another quote and it was 3 thousand less than mine. However she really wanted to use our company but wanted us to find ways to cut costs lol. At this point I was think here is another one I lost to a hack!!!

So I replied that we could change the tile shower to a one piece unit and save you 750 dollars. And gave her the we don't do cheap crap speech and left it at that. I get a call this morning that she wanted me to do it and that she wanted the original tile shower to boot.

Moral of the story stand firm, have a good sales plan.
another moral
don`t ever , EVER, budge on your price just because a client says they had a cheaper price
i always respond with , " the only way i can attempt to lower my price would be to see the other bidders proposal.
maybe they never had another bidder at all , and just wanted to bargain you down

another maybe is ;
, if there is another bidder , is he licensed and insured? if not , then its not a fair comparison to your bid ( if you are)
otherwise you could potentially be lowering your price for no reason at all.
thats a bid-war with yourself.

hey not meaning disrecpect at all
just different ways to see things.
it just sucks when you do all things right ( as it sounds like you did) and someone just tries to beat you down for no reason but to save a buck , you know?

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Commercial Loading Dock and Door Contractor
Rewards Points: 96

It sucks that we have to celebrate this type of victory.

www.BadcoDoors.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Pearce Services For This Useful Post:
country_huck (09-21-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Average Joe

Trade: Design/Build
Rewards Points: 524

Price objections are raised for a variety of reasons.
The #1 reason relates to people's VALUE SYSTEMS.

The same woman who shutters at the thought of paying $75 for a consultation fee, perhaps gladly pays $300 to her hair stylist for 1 hour of his/her time.

The same man who objects to your $10,000 deck quote, perhaps pays $2,000 for a Smith & Wesson double action revolver, when you can get an almost comparable revolver for a quarter of that price.

There are better examples, but the moral is there. It's people's "value systems" that determine WHAT they will buy and HOW MUCH they are willing to pay for it. When price objections are raised, it is usually because THE VALUE has not been related or identified with that individual. A good salesman can sell you a $100 pen, simply by explaining the VALUE of that pen. And you will buy it, even though you can buy a similar "writing instrument" for $2.

Let's go further with the pen scenario.
You have a $100 pen and you have a $2 pen.
If you try to bring value to the $100 pen by simply lowering the price, but not by demonstrating the VALUE, by let's say $20, then all I (the consumer) will see is that I'm over paying by $78 for a "writing instrument". In other words, lowering price is not the answer. Price objections will rarely require you to lower your price.

Now with all that being said, you must still demonstrate competitiveness in the "value" that you bring to the market place.

Congrats on your sale
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heritage For This Useful Post:
Gary H (09-21-2012), JSM_CC (09-24-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: interior/exterior
Rewards Points: 402

i think your letter is spot on
but , sadly , most folks don`t want to put that much depth into their thinking , or be challenged on how hypocritical they are for their decision to want cheap labor , but an expensive gun.
while selling ourselves , we really couldn`t say that to them .

but thankfully the smarter ones do want a better job , and know its better to pay a person the right amount .
the others will never see the rational that you wrote , and it sucks for you and i .

nothing erks me internally more than a person who says " your prices are too high!"
how do they really know ?
because they had 2 or 3 other bidders give them a cheaper cost?
have they really done the true research to know who`s price is " too" high"
does he call the lowest bidder , and ever say " your too low!"

i`d rather them say " i`m sorry , i can afford to pay your price "
or ask , " how come your price is higher?", and let me answer .
Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #6

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 87

The other problem is that when you drop your price people want to know where the true bottom is. We offer a no haggle price. I tell people this is my best price from the begining. I have learned that when you drop your price people want you to keep droping your price for things that are not even in the contract.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Italian75 For This Useful Post:
popagorgio (09-22-2012)