Oddball Employee - Business - Contractor Talk

Oddball Employee

Old 04-15-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 335

Oddball Employee

I have six employees. Five of them this is their gig and what they do for their life. They are good guys but for the most part are manual laborers. Solid guys and no complaints with any of them. Last year we hired a guy with a college degree who wanted to get some work experience and save up money between completing his bachelors and going back to grad school. His degree is related to what we do.

The college guy actually impressed me. I thought he was going to be a book worm and not get any work done but he works his butt off. I have zero complaints about his work and he isn't afraid to do whatever. The problem is he doesn't fit in at all. He is a round peg in a square hole. We travel for work and often the whole crew either goes out to eat together for dinner or we buy groceries and BBQ at the motel. College guy never participates.

My employees I wouldn't really consider friends as I have never done anything with them while we are not at work but I usually participate in whatever their plan is for dinner each night. We enjoy it and have a good time while working. Quite honestly work is enjoyable because we cut up and have fun while doing what we have to do. The college guy however is a twist. He works his butt off and zero complaints about his work ethic but the second work is over he is like screw you guys I am going to my room and doing my own thing. He never participates in anything we do and it is is obvious he doesn't really like anyone here including me.

On one hand he goes to school this fall and the problem solves itself but I wonder if anyone else deals with stuff like this. It is hard to fault the guy because he does his job but he is not really enjoyable to work with. Our small crew is almost like a family.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting and Decorating
Rewards Points: 258

Re: Oddball Employee

Sounds a little like he might be an introvert. Maybe he enjoys his private quite time?

Advertisement

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Quality_PTG For This Useful Post:
dkillianjr (04-17-2015), Jaws (05-03-2015), MattK (04-17-2015), Rio (04-16-2015), TxElectrician (04-16-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
Lazy Millennial

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 638

I agree with him perhaps being introverted. I am. After work I usually like to do my own thing. Especially if I've been working around people all day. I wouldn't take it personally, if he's anything like me he needs to recharge after a long day of interaction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 1,844

I'm much like your college guy. I like to work my azz off but when I'm done I just like to do my own thing, don't really care to hang out with people from work. The most I'll do is get an occasional beer but that's about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tylerwalker32 For This Useful Post:
wazez (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 110

If he's going to college he has no intention of staying with you. If you want an employee to party with you and be your friend look elsewhere. I don't think he's the oddball maybe you are.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdog1234 View Post
He works his butt off and zero complaints about his work ethic but the second work is over he is like screw you guys I am going to my room and doing my own thing.
Are you guys on the road, or working on home turf? Away from home I can see a bit of justification for the herd instinct (so to speak), but the "need" for that is going to vary among individuals.

Around home, he had family and friends before ever hooking up with you guys. No reason he should drop them for you after work.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Commercial Construction
Rewards Points: 791

I've been that guy on the road. Sort of. We'd go out occasionally bars, sightseeing etc. But after work his time is his own. Maybe he saves the $ or just likes privacy.

When I've been an employee, I work to earn a living, not for a social life. As long as he works hard and gets along with crew, let it ride. In a lot of ways it could be a positive.

I remember many a nights in the hotel when the guys were at strip club, out drinking etc. You have to remember, on the road you practically live with the crew. It's nice to get away from that.

I buy tools. Not brands.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:28 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Are you guys on the road, or working on home turf? Away from home I can see a bit of justification for the herd instinct (so to speak), but the "need" for that is going to vary among individuals.

Around home, he had family and friends before ever hooking up with you guys. No reason he should drop them for you after work.
All work is in different towns usually different states. I would totally understand someone wanting to spend time at home with their family but this is not the case as we are on the road. . Prior to the new guy it was like an adventure. Everyone was excited about the new town and what restaurants it had, what bars, etc. With the new guy it just is awkward because he doesn't want anything to do with it. It is not that he doesn't drink or anything like that he will go to the same grill/bar as us and sit at a separate table. It is like he thinks he is better than everyone else or something.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Commercial Construction
Rewards Points: 791

He might also not be used to the rough and tumble, big dick contractor mentality. You know, one liners, wise cracks, phucking with each other.

I buy tools. Not brands.
The Following User Says Thank You to maxwage For This Useful Post:
MattK (04-17-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
If he's going to college he has no intention of staying with you. If you want an employee to party with you and be your friend look elsewhere. I don't think he's the oddball maybe you are.
I know that and it is out in the open. He is leaving for grad school in the fall. His professor was my professor when I was in college and that is how he got hired in the first place. Like I said I admire the guys work ethic but in the past fifteen years or so I have probably had over 100 employees and he is he only one that doesn't seem to want to fit in. I don't expect every employee to be buddy buddy but this guy really seems like he hates everyone here.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/GC
Rewards Points: 344

When I worked on the road I usually went my own way after work. I would occasionally hit a bar or go out to eat with a couple of the guys but normally I went off on my own. I liked most of the guys I worked with but I sure as hell didn't want to spend every waking moment with them. I don't think your guy is an oddball, he just likes his time to himself.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:39 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 826

He goes to the same place when your out of town and sits at a different table? That's a little strange. Although I've worked with some guys I want nothing to do with outside of work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to pizalm For This Useful Post:
Rio (04-16-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 08:49 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Painter/Handyman
Rewards Points: 2,422

Quote:
I know that and it is out in the open. He is leaving for grad school in the fall. His professor was my professor when I was in college and that is how he got hired in the first place. Like I said I admire the guys work ethic but in the past fifteen years or so I have probably had over 100 employees and he is he only one that doesn't seem to want to fit in. I don't expect every employee to be buddy buddy but this guy really seems like he hates everyone here.
I'd be asking myself why it bothers me so much (if I were you)
Why do you want this man to approve of you?
Who cares what he does with his free time and why do you care?
Old 04-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

Hell, if I was on the road away from home, last thing I'd want to do with guys I worked with all day is hang out with them all night
Old 04-15-2015, 08:57 PM   #15
Pro

I don't want him to approve of me nor do I really care what he thinks. It just seems that for the past 15 years with other crews it has been a boost to morale that the crew hangs together. They are like a family.

When it rains we can't work. This usually happens maybe once every couple of weeks. Tradition on a rain day is everyone pitches in and buys some beer and some meat and we BBQ at the motel. 15 years and 100+ people and this is almost always what happens and everyone participates except for this guy. Some people don't drink and that is cool but they at least come out and get a burger or whatever.

I guess my whole point of this post is we used to feel like we had a close team but not so much anymore. The first reaction would be get rid of the person disrupting the team but as said he is a hell of a worker so it is hard to fault the guy for things that happen off the clock.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:03 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 6,486

Quote:
it is is obvious he doesn't really like anyone here including me.
Maybe he doesn't like anyone, anywhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to GettingBy For This Useful Post:
digiconsoo (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 09:10 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,910

Sounds like he is trying to save his money. I bet he goes to his room and finishes the day working on his education.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:29 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/GC
Rewards Points: 344

Quote:
. He never participates in anything we do and it is is obvious he doesn't really like anyone here including me.

Being buddies is ok but when you boil it down he is there to do a job, not make friends.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chad McDade For This Useful Post:
Rio (04-16-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 09:31 PM   #19
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 270

I'm actually a bit impressed with the guy having the gonads to go his own way. As you say, the gig is temporary for him and he has no intention of making it his life.

As long as he produces well on the job, he's doing what he's paid for. If his independence kills your esprit de corps too badly, I get that. But I can't censure a guy too badly for following his own trail.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:41 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 6,486

Is there anything else about him that strikes you as odd, unusual, offensive, etc.?
He might still be in some chapter of the DSM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Fiv...onality_traits

Advertisement

Last edited by GettingBy; 04-15-2015 at 09:43 PM.